Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Out of ideas - please help (constant buffering)

Okay, first things first.

Controller General Info
    Firmware version: 7.8.0 r16739
    Current player: Squeezebox Receiver
    Player Type: Remote

Squeezebox Receiver
    Firmware version: 77
    Player Type: Receiver

LMS
    version 7.9.0-161 (beta?)
    platform: Synology DiskStation 1812+

Other
    Spotify Premium account
    Spotify related plugins installed on LMS: Official Spotify plugin (v1.0) and Triode & Herger's Spotify Protocol Handler (v1.1.1)

Problem: constant buffering, even when SBR is connected to net via ethernet. Spotify desktop client on a Windows 7 uses the same internet connection; has not interrupted playback ever due to buffering.

I had a Squeezebox Classic, which I loved, for years. Then the amp it was connected to died, and it took me a year to find a replacement. After several years of reliable service a year being unplugged from mains proved too much for the poor thing, and once I powered it up again, it began to reboot itself the moment it was supposed to start streaming audio. A while later it stopped powering up completely.

So I dug up a Squeezebox Duet I had bought a few years ago. Still in original packaging, had never been used. How hard could this be, I thought, and began to set it up.

Cue several days of cursing both the Receiver and the Controller, uninstalling and re-installing LMS on the DiskStation, messing about with LMS plugins, several re-installations of various firmware versions on the Controller... and then, finally, the Receiver offered to use the ethernet connection instead of wireless. Performance when using wireless had been so abysmal I had no choice but to try set the Receiver for ethernet. I was sooo certain all Spotify streaming issues would disappear if SBR would simply use ethernet. Nope!

I think the longest SBR has managed flawless streaming has been maybe 10 minutes or so. Usually what happens is that it starts streaming music, and either plays the first 1/10th of a second followed by buffering, or the song plays approx 3 seconds before buffering kicks in. Rest of the song plays plays in 5-10 second pieces, and most often SBR gives up on the song in under 2 minutes and skips to the next one on the playlist.

I'm at my wits' end here and totally out of ideas what to try next. Any help & advice would be hugely appreciated.

How does it fare with for example local flac files of your CD's ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    How does it fare with for example local flac files of your CD's ?
    I'll have to try that. I've actually stopped the LMS from scanning my local music folder because the scanning takes forever. So there are no local files at the moment as far as SBR is concerned.

update: SBR plays local flac files like a champ. No problems what-so-ever.
    Last edited by pteittinen; 2016-12-04 at 14:26.

As a test, have you thought about putting LMS on the PC and use the nas just as storage?

See how it goes.

With regard to the Squeezebox Classic, maybe a new power supply?

and perhaps this could be a problem with the Squeezebox Receiver (all be it NOS)

Do you know anyone who would loan you another player for a day or so?

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post
    I've actually stopped the LMS from scanning my local music folder because the scanning takes forever. .
    Hi,

lms 7.9 is the best (even when Michael described its state as beta) and its much faster in scanning then any other version before.
    If you need (whats forever in minutes?) a huge amount of scantime - your nas might be underpowered and a underpowered system does some "strange" things you cant explain other than check free ram and processor usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    As a test, have you thought about putting LMS on the PC and use the nas just as storage?
    No, I haven't. SBClassic worked perfectly for a long time while LMS was running on that very same DiskStation. And the reason I got a DiskStation in the first place was so I wouldn't have to keep a PC running 24/7.

With regard to the Squeezebox Classic, maybe a new power supply?
    Hmm, that's certainly worth a shot. Thanks

and perhaps this could be a problem with the Squeezebox Receiver (all be it NOS)
    Do you know anyone who would loan you another player for a day or so?
    I have another never-been-used SBR here somewhere. I'm not too keen on the idea of wrestling with it to enable ethernet, though.

Its for testing , to runt he server on a pc
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    lms 7.9 is the best (even when Michael described its state as beta) and its much faster in scanning then any other version before.
    If you need (whats forever in minutes?) a huge amount of scantime - your nas might be underpowered and a underpowered system does some "strange" things you cant explain other than check free ram and processor usage.
    I installed 7.9 quite recently and haven't actually let it scan the full library yet, simply because earlier versions took several hours - if they even managed to finish scanning - while impacting nas performance severely the whole time. I moved most of my library out of the music folder for flac playback testing, and 7.9 certainly scanned the 10 or so remaining albums very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Its for testing , to runt he server on a pc
    Right. I'll give it a shot. Just hesitating because LMS on DiskStation worked fine with SBClassic.

Quote Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post
    I installed 7.9 quite recently and haven't actually let it scan the full library yet, simply because earlier versions took several hours - if they even managed to finish scanning - while impacting nas performance severely the whole time. I moved most of my library out of the music folder for flac playback testing, and 7.9 certainly scanned the 10 or so remaining albums very quickly.
    Several hourd thats normal for some NAS boxes , just let t it run over nigth ? do you ever sleep. Scanning crashes are rate these days .

Or use a much smaller library for testing purpose , note that LMS is very responsive when scanning , let it finish up before use, otherwise it can behave as you described it .

We asume that the NAS is wired to the network .
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2016-12-05 at 04:51.