Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

HDCD - Decoding and audio tags what's easiest?

Hi Everyone,

At long last I found a software solution to decoding HCDC files. I'm a little stuck. My original thought was to locate and convert all of my 44/16 FLAC files. This actually works great, but.... all the metadata including album cover art gets lost in the process.

To convert an existing HDCD encoded FLAC file to a new, decompressed 44/24 file:

ffmpeg -i 01\ This\ House\ Is\ on\ Fire.flac -f wav pipe:1 | hdcd-detect - -c | ffmpeg -i pipe: test3.flac

I'm hoping someone here has a good solution I haven't thought about yet. For instance, if there was an easy CLI tool to use to copy all tags from an old flac to a new flac, I'd be done.

Best,

Erik

Check the -map_metadata option of ffmpeg. Not sure if this works through the pipes you're using.

metaflac to the rescue

Thanks, I actually found a solution in metaflac.

Best,

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by totoroBounced View Post
    Hi Everyone,

At long last I found a software solution to decoding HCDC files. I'm a little stuck. My original thought was to locate and convert all of my 44/16 FLAC files. This actually works great, but.... all the metadata including album cover art gets lost in the process.

To convert an existing HDCD encoded FLAC file to a new, decompressed 44/24 file:

ffmpeg -i 01\ This\ House\ Is\ on\ Fire.flac -f wav pipe:1 | hdcd-detect - -c | ffmpeg -i pipe: test3.flac

I'm hoping someone here has a good solution I haven't thought about yet. For instance, if there was an easy CLI tool to use to copy all tags from an old flac to a new flac, I'd be done.

Best,

Erik
    why not just use db poweramp which will convert with tags?

If you are converting be sure to keep original files as a backup. Conversion irreversibly alters the files.
    I once did this myself (converted 80+ CDs with no sonic benefit )