Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moxbox View Post
    And thx again for all your support bpa, I was browsing through the Wave Input thread and was impressed and humbled by how much effort you've put into this over the years.
    And I didn't write the code !! I wrote some Windows stuff many years ago and I don't want to go near Windows dev again - it sucks up so much time to support.

STWYH is a better more modern solution - no need for a plugin and source PC need not be running LMS and LMS can run on a non WIndows systems (e.g. Pi). If there are rough edges with interaction with LMS it would be better to fix those rather then put effort into Waveinput.

SWYH and LMS

[QUOTE=bpa;869153]And I didn't write the code !! I wrote some Windows stuff many years ago and I don't want to go near Windows dev again - it sucks up so much time to support.[\QUOTE]

yeah, that was pretty clear from the 25 pages of support you provided on this forum.

STWYH is a better more modern solution - no need for a plugin and source PC need not be running LMS and LMS can run on a non WIndows systems (e.g. Pi). If there are rough edges with interaction with LMS it would be better to fix those rather then put effort into Waveinput.
    Is there currently a way to have LMS access the stream captured by SWYH? Or are you suggesting this would be the thing to build, rather than trying to port SWYH code over to Waveinput?
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet
    serving vintage Marantz 2230, large Advents and ADS 710.
    funky and wonderful that this new tech can talk to this old stuff

Is there currently a way to have LMS access the stream captured by SWYH? Or are you suggesting this would be the thing to build, rather than trying to port SWYH code over to Waveinput?
    I haven't looked at the system but AFAICT it produces a http stream from the PC audio so that all you should have to do is create an appropriate Favorite with the right URL and then play the favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I haven't looked at the system but AFAICT it produces a http stream from the PC audio so that all you should have to do is create an appropriate Favorite with the right URL and then play the favorite.
    Correct. You can set the port and whether the stream should be MP3 or PCM and the "tune in url" and save to favourites.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Setting up SWYH

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Correct. You can set the port and whether the stream should be MP3 or PCM and the "tune in url" and save to favourites.
    Thanks! This is exciting

I've downloaded SWYH, and the controls (from right-clicking the tray icon) give me an option to "stream to" -- which already "sees" all of my SBs! But selecting one of these doesn't direct the audio stream to that SB. So it sounds like I need to change some of the options that you're referring to above, but I'm still a bit confused about what to set where.

"tune in url" -- The SWYH controls allow me to copy the http live streaming url -- but it also shows a warning not to start the streaming on this local computer (music loopback). So -- can I tune in this url using the LMS on my local machine? Or would the LMS have to be running on a different machine?

"set the port" -- should I set the port in the SWYH control (the default is 5901) to match the "web server port number" for LMS (which is set to 9000). Or should I change the LMS web server port number to the SWYH 5901 value?

And do I need to do both of these things? Or would setting the port alone allow SWYH to stream to the SBs it sees?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I still don't quite understand the basic input-output structure for these different elements. But I really appreciate your help. And once I get this working, I'd be happy to put together a step by step set of instructions for folks like me that might serve as the official alternative to WaveInput for Windows systems that don't have the stereo mix device.

Pic attached in case my descriptions are not clear.

Name:  Screenshot (322).png
Views: 95
Size:  113.1 KB
    Last edited by moxbox; 2016-12-02 at 18:57.
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

As I said I have not used SWYH but it is not LMS specific so no LMS settings are required at the SWYH end.

SWYH streams can usually be played by any media player such as on PC MS Media player, VLC or a player on a smartphone/tablet or an internet radio such one from Pure, Roberts or Revo etc.

LMS is a server - it serves LMS audio players. A computer with LMS does not have a LMS player. You may install separately an LMS player (e.g. squeezelite) on the same computer

All HTTP URL have an three parts (the URL can be for anyting such as a web page, a download, stramign audio) :
    1. The address prefixed with "http://" e.g http://somafm.com
    2. A port number - for web pages and MP3 streams this is normally 80 and if no port is supplied 80 is used. LMS webpages normally use port 9000 (i.e. http://localhost:9000)
    3. a string which may be required to choose a specific stream often for a format or speed e.g 128kbps MP3 http://www.somafm.com/illstreet.pls 32kbps AAC http://www.somafm.com/illstreet32.pls)

"tune in url" -- The SWYH controls allow me to copy the http live streaming url -- but it also shows a warning not to start the streaming on this local computer (music loopback). So -- can I tune in this url using the LMS on my local machine? Or would the LMS have to be running on a different machine?
    You cannot play what you are streaming if you are streaming what you are playing - feedback loop.

You DO have a separate LMS player ?

"set the port" -- should I set the port in the SWYH control (the default is 5901) to match the "web server port number" for LMS (which is set to 9000). Or should I change the LMS web server port number to the SWYH 5901 value?
    Use 5901

And do I need to do both of these things? Or would setting the port alone allow SWYH to stream to the SBs it sees?
    NO full URL address and port is required. SWYH is totally separate from LMS - LMS know nothing about it.

If I understand it correctly copy the URL from SWYH into the LMS WebUI Tune-in URL Make sure you have a spearate LMS player and WebUI is set to play to it.

I still don't quite understand the basic input-output structure for these different elements.
    It may help tp look at an basic internet introduction to understand URLS web pages and streaming audio - post will never be as good as an tutorial with pictures. This is not LMS specific stuff.
    Last edited by bpa; 2016-12-03 at 02:11.

On SWYH copy the URL (first pic)

In LMS under Radio, click Tune In URL and paste the copied URL into the box, then press the Tune In button (2nd pic)

In LMS select a Squeezebox player and start it playing, play some audio on the PC running SWYH (spotify, youtube etc.).

Turn down your PC's speakers if they're close to your SB player's speakers as there's a slight delay.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Thanks everyone!!

It's now working! So easy in the end, but I really appreciate the help and explanations here.

@bpa -- is it worth modifying the landing page for the WaveInput thread to direct Windows users to this option if they don't have the stereomix device on their system? The combination of the last two posts in this thread (yours and @kidstypike) provide a good set of instructions and explanations. Or maybe just start a separate thread for streaming audio on Windows systems when there is no dedicated plugin and a link to that from the WaveInput landing page? My experience with the search functions on this forum suggest it's not easy to find this info, it gets buried, and has to be repeated.

if there's anything i can do to help, lmk. i'd love to give back if i can.
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

@bpa -- is it worth modifying the landing page for the WaveInput thread to direct Windows users to this option if they don't have the stereomix device on their system? The combination of the last two posts in this thread (yours and @kidstypike) provide a good set of instructions and explanations. Or maybe just start a separate thread for streaming audio on Windows systems when there is no dedicated plugin and a link to that from the WaveInput landing page?
    It's not my thread - I can't change it.
    My experience with the search functions on this forum suggest it's not easy to find this info, it gets buried, and has to be repeated.
    A better way to search the forum is to use google search with site:forums.slimdevices.com followed by the search terms (e.g. site:forums.slimdevices.com streamwhatyouhear )

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    It's not my thread - I can't change it.
    that's unfortunate. is there a site admin that can give permission for this? if not, it's kind of unfortunate for a community forum to have so little control.

thanks again for your help
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet