Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

stream what you hear

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Actually I have misread what it is you want to do.

Assuming you have a Windows Laptop and you want to get the audio from some web site or other to a SB player and your laptop is NOT what is running LMS - try http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com

It may run on your laptop in conjunction with LMS but I have never tried it so can't say for sure but I imagine that some tweaking would then be required.
    Alas, I am running LMS on the same laptop. Wave Input is/was clearly the plugin that handled this in the past. But as several threads in this forum have noted, the plugin depended on Stereo Mix, which has been removed in most current Win laptops.

From those threads it also seems that this PC audio stream capture is not a great solution, because it puts everything through your computer's audio software, with less than stellar results. I get that, but with the internet streaming services proliferating and changing all the time, it's at least a way to play this stuff when there's no dedicated LMS plugin available.
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet
    serving vintage Marantz 2230, large Advents and ADS 710.
    funky and wonderful that this new tech can talk to this old stuff

That does not make sense most sound sources is stereo ? Are these just routed to the front channels in current windows . Is this just laptops ? If you have real mobo or soundcard do you still have stereomix .

Laptop as LMS host ? Well if that's the computer you have ? A spare laptop that's unused would be great as it can sit wired somewhere , but then you can chose Linux on that one .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

stereo mix

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    That does not make sense most sound sources is stereo ? Are these just routed to the front channels in current windows . Is this just laptops ? If you have real mobo or soundcard do you still have stereomix .

Laptop as LMS host ? Well if that's the computer you have ? A spare laptop that's unused would be great as it can sit wired somewhere , but then you can chose Linux on that one .
    "stereo mix" is the name of a specific audio source option you used to be able to select on the "recording" tab of Windows audio device manager:

Name:  Screenshot (319).png
Views: 142
Size:  163.9 KB

Of course the stereo audio stream still exists -- and you can access it through your PC/laptop speakers, or by plugging in to the headphone jack. What you can't do is select this stream in the audio device manager anymore, because they've disabled the "stereo mix" device option. And that option is what the plugin Wave Input needs in order to capture the Windows audio stream and send it to LMS.

The removal of the stereo mix functionality is well known -- if you google "stereo mix windows" there are many discussions of what to do, but none of these work for my version of Windows and soundcard (Convexant). There are also threads in this forum

People speculate that this option was removed after pressure from the Recording Industry, but I don't think that's true. There is still software available that captures the Windows audio stream (e.g., Audacity, and Streamwhatyouhear), so it's clearly possible. It's just that the mechanism has changed, and Wave Input hasn't been updated to address this (at least as far as I can tell -- I'd love to hear otherwise!).

And yes, LMS is on my laptop. As is my music collection. Maybe that should change, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Quote Originally Posted by moxbox View Post
    "stereo mix" is the name of a specific audio source option you used to be able to select on the "recording" tab of Windows audio device manager:

Name:  Screenshot (319).png
Views: 142
Size:  163.9 KB

Of course the stereo audio stream still exists -- and you can access it through your PC/laptop speakers, or by plugging in to the headphone jack. What you can't do is select this stream in the audio device manager anymore, because they've disabled the "stereo mix" device option. And that option is what the plugin Wave Input needs in order to capture the Windows audio stream and send it to LMS.

The removal of the stereo mix functionality is well known -- if you google "stereo mix windows" there are many discussions of what to do, but none of these work for my version of Windows and soundcard (Convexant). There are also threads in this forum

People speculate that this option was removed after pressure from the Recording Industry, but I don't think that's true. There is still software available that captures the Windows audio stream (e.g., Audacity, and Streamwhatyouhear), so it's clearly possible. It's just that the mechanism has changed, and Wave Input hasn't been updated to address this (at least as far as I can tell -- I'd love to hear otherwise!).

And yes, LMS is on my laptop. As is my music collection. Maybe that should change, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
    A well then back to the old hack, plugin in a cable from the output to the input , this migth not be optimal either but we wanted to just here these otherwise not aviable services :/

Your are probably rigth about this not being ill intended , just some removal of "clutter" it would not be beyond MS to do such a thing one setting less to confuse people and generate support calls . People who really record tend to use other solutions .

I will probably try streamwhat you hear on my win partition who is not hosting LMS seems ideal for that purpose ( my LMS lives on old HP microserver , soon to be replaced by a nuc )

Btw what's the Linux and macOS eqvabilent of streamwhatyouhear ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

There's also Virtual Audio Cable.

It's ~$25 for the full version and there's a trial version to confirm that I'll work for you.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Btw what's the Linux and macOS eqvabilent of streamwhatyouhear ?
    Linux ALSA has loopback audio devices, pulseaudio has audio sinks.
    Soundflower for macOS.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

The original author of the plugin created it (amainly the wavincmd application) and then more or less never returned. I've done very basic maintenance onplugin ever since.

Every Windows laptop I owned (not my main system) has had a Stereo mix so I think it is a funciton of underlying audio hardware and the h/w vendor creating a driver. I think when it is unavailable it is because the laptop manufacturer does not want the feature (possibly costs or extra support issues)

Windows just keeps changing their audio API and some application uses newer API rather the the v. old WAVE API that the wavincmd application captures so some application never worked with wavinput (IIRC Spotify). So maintaing a waveinput to meet your requirements is an endless task.

The usual complaint is that LMS has to run on system with wavinput. So for a Windows non LMS system to play system audio over LMS - convert audio to a stream using Airplay, VLC or windows media center but often this stream uses a lossy codec.

If you have a Linux system there are lots of other options (e.g. use Pulse to do the networking)
    Last edited by bpa; 2016-11-29 at 05:41.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The original author of the plugin created it (amainly the wavincmd application) and then more or less never returned. I've done very basic maintenance onplugin ever since.
    Thanks for that -- esp. as Windows is not your system of choice.

Every Windows laptop I owned (not my main system) has had a Stereo mix so I think it is a funciton of underlying audio hardware and the h/w vendor creating a driver. I think when it is unavailable it is because the laptop manufacturer does not want the feature (possibly costs or extra support issues)
    In another form, a person at Microsoft said that stereo mix was not part of the new HD audio standard: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...b822c29?page=1

Windows just keeps changing their audio API and some application uses newer API rather the the v. old WAVE API that the wavincmd application captures so some application never worked with wavinput (IIRC Spotify). So maintaing a waveinput to meet your requirements is an endless task.
    Right, I thought that was probably the issue. I have Audacity, and using the WASAPI streaming option there seems to work on all the internet streams I've tried (incl. Spotify). It looks like @ralphy has built in support for ASIO, DirectSound, WASAPI and WDMKS to Squeezelite. Is that the kind of update that waveinput would need to become functional again? If waveinput was a simple shell script, I'd try modifying it. But I don't know anything about creating executables for Windows...

In the meantime, I'll check out using VLC as you and @ralphy suggest. For now, sound quality is not the big issue.

thanks again!
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

If waveinput was a simple shell script, I'd try modifying it. But I don't know anything about creating executables for Windows...
    No - it is a C program. Anything to do with this idea will be a C/C++ program as it needs to get down and dirty.

HD Audio may be a bit of misdirection by MS as most streaming services only play CD type audio.
    Last edited by bpa; 2016-11-30 at 03:32.

sharing code?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    No - it is a C program. Anything to do with this idea will be a C/C++ program as it needs to get down and dirty.
    Streamwhatyouhear is now developing publicly on GitHub --
    http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/201...w-version-1-4/

It may have some up to date code for capturing Windows audio streams that would be useful and shareable. Makes me wish I had some useful skilz

And thx again for all your support bpa, I was browsing through the Wave Input thread and was impressed and humbled by how much effort you've put into this over the years.
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet