Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is there a diagram of how the main elements of the squeeze software universe interact

It's a bit overwhelming trying to navigate this forum -- a bit like searching a dictionary for a word you don't know how to spell.

My specific query is whether there's an app (or an LMS feature) for sending the audio stream from my laptop to an SB player.

Reason? To access the streaming services that feature user uploaded content, like Soundcloud/Mixcloud/Hearthis.at. I know there are Soundcloud and Mixcloud plugins -- the former mostly works, the latter not so much, and from what I gather from the threads here, the problem is that the interfaces keep changing, so the apps require continual updating. The proliferation and evolution of these services suggests it would be easier to just take the resulting audio stream from a computer, rather than code a specific plugin for every new internet streaming service. But the existence of these apps suggests that there is, in fact, no way to send the audio stream from a computer to an SB player.

To the newbie, looking at the LMS interface, it seems odd that the interface allows you to stream music from the internet, or from your hard disk music collection, but not the audio stream that your computer gets from the internet.

I'm guessing there's something obvious I'm missing here. Hence the big picture question in the heading. Thanks!
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet
    serving vintage Marantz 2230, large Advents and ADS 710.
    funky and wonderful that this new tech can talk to this old stuff

Look under 3rd Party software or better in your LMS: Settings-Plugins. There should be an uPnP/DLNA plugin from Andy Grundman that announces all your SBen as DLNA renderer.
    shairtunes2 would do the same for AirPlay.

thanks

and described on the LMS plugin screen as just what i was looking for. ima blame it on the tiny type...

the problem is that this relies on the "stereo mix" recording device, which has been removed from most modern systems. lots of folks looking for (and sometimes finding) workarounds. but they seem to involve registry edits with card and OS specific entries.
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Upnp, not sure how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by karlek View Post
    Look under 3rd Party software or better in your LMS: Settings-Plugins. There should be an uPnP/DLNA plugin from Andy Grundman that announces all your SBen as DLNA renderer.
    shairtunes2 would do the same for AirPlay.
    Thanks, it looks like that's already enabled for me. But I can't seem to find any instructions on how to use it (did a quick search of the 3rd party software forum). There's also the upnp plugin from Philippe. That does have some info on the GitHub site, but ... the manual is written in a language I mostly don't understand.

So --

1. are there some instructions for using Grundman's plugin somewhere?

2. Is there a primer for an SB user like me, who doesn't really know what a DLNA renderer is?

thanks!
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Simplified you can play audio on your phone for example and send the output to such a renderer. Probably you'll need an app such as BuppleuPnP for that.
    Philippes Plugin is something completely different. It announces DLNA devices as Squeezeboxes.

Basically the plugins I wrote/udpated over the last couple of years had the objective to use non-squeezebox players from LMS as if they were normal SB devices:

- UPnP/DLNA Bridge: transforms UPnP/DLNA players into a SB device. No sync possible with any other players, except for Sonos devices (amongst Sonos devices)
    - CastBridge: transforms ChromeCast players into SB devices. No sync with other players, except amongst ChromeCast players
    - AriPlay Bridge: transforms AirPlay speakers, airport and amp into SB device. Sync with any native SB player works. The most advanced bridge as (almost) all SB capabilities (gapless, cross-fading, replay gain ...) are available.

This is propbably not what you want, if I understood correctly your question.

- So there is also ShairTunes2W plugin which I extended to Windows and that does the reverse logic with AirPlay devices: it transforms all SB devices into an AirPlay player. So you can use you iTunes, iPad/iPod/iPhone to stream to SB devices, they will appear as a AirPlay device.
    - Finally, Andy Grundman's uPnP/DLNA plugin allows SB devices to appear like a UPnP/DLNA player. Then in Windows should be able to play natively to any UPnP/DLNA player, but you can use foobar2000 or minimServer BubbleUPnP which UPnP/DLNA player controller applications for Windows, Android, iOS

Good luck
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2016-11-28 at 00:23.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

thanks! and squeezelite?

Really appreciate the helpful responses. No one has mentioned squeezelite, but the threads on that plugin for windows suggest it also captures the current audio output devices (like wasapi). Is this not an option for what i'm trying to do?
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Quote Originally Posted by moxbox View Post
    Really appreciate the helpful responses. No one has mentioned squeezelite, but the threads on that plugin for windows suggest it also captures the current audio output devices (like wasapi). Is this not an option for what i'm trying to do?
    No its not an option.

Squeezelite is a software implementation of a player. Turns your PC into a squeezebox.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2016-11-28 at 04:53.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Actually I have misread what it is you want to do.

Assuming you have a Windows Laptop and you want to get the audio from some web site or other to a SB player and your laptop is NOT what is running LMS - try http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com

This will "broadcast" any audio that hits the laptop into a playable mp3 or pcm stream in the form http://laptopip/streamname which you can tune into in LMS

Install on laptop. Configure the software. In LMS go to Radio/Tune in URL and point at SWYH (HTTP Live Streaming) url of your laptop. Job jobbed.

It may run on your laptop in conjunction with LMS but I have never tried it so can't say for sure but I imagine that some tweaking would then be required.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2016-11-28 at 04:57.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes