Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Nas

Nas

I am currently using a Netgear Readynas Ultra Plus 2. I have had it for 6 years or so and it looks like it is about to fail (I get repeated messages telling me that V+12 power is out of range). Apparently this is a common problem and is related to the chassis. Not sure I want to buy another ReadyNas to be honest.

Could anyone suggest a suitable replacement that will run LMS? I have around 700 albums and 10,000 songs ripped to FLAC.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeth View Post
    I am currently using a Netgear Readynas Ultra Plus 2. I have had it for 6 years or so and it looks like it is about to fail (I get repeated messages telling me that V+12 power is out of range). Apparently this is a common problem and is related to the chassis. Not sure I want to buy another ReadyNas to be honest.

Could anyone suggest a suitable replacement that will run LMS? I have around 700 albums and 10,000 songs ripped to FLAC.

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Many posters here (myself included) use a NAS to hold the music files and a Raspberry Pi to run LMS. I use piCorePlayer on a Pi3, but others use Max2Play - various threads in the Unix/Linux forum describe these. My NAS is an old QNAP, currently 2359 albums/25287 tracks. The Raspberry Pi runs LMS better than the NAS did.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Many posters here (myself included) use a NAS to hold the music files and a Raspberry Pi to run LMS. I use piCorePlayer on a Pi3, but others use Max2Play - various threads in the Unix/Linux forum describe these. My NAS is an old QNAP, currently 2359 albums/25287 tracks. The Raspberry Pi runs LMS better than the NAS did.

Robert
    Plus 1 for this . As straightforward as a straight line

Ronnie

We need more people with an 'R' in their name

Thanks for the advice. Still got 3 SBT's and one Radio. Not sure I'm ready for the Pi as yet though.

If you use a nas for more than just storing your music, like I do for mail server, file sharing and photo's, a nas is a very good host for lms too. Just make sure you choose a nas with a good OS which makes installing lms easy.
    -LMS on Raspian Stretch -> 2x Radio
    -RPI 3 (Mopidy + Raspotify), Allo Boss DAC- Exposure 3010S2 - PMC FB1i

Rpi or Odroid

I have a HP Microserver but for LMS I use an Odroid U3 (I don't remember the date I start to use it, but more than a year, sure). No one stop, fault or so, I think it is a little bit faster than the Raspberry (it use eMMC instead of microSD) but also the Raspberry is enough to drive some Squeezebox Players.
    The major advantage is a little bit power usage, no noise so you can put it everywere.
    Also if You don't know quite nothing of Linux, You can find the distro (Max2Play or piCorePlayer) ready to go.
    Try it, it's not a big expense!
    Riccardo
    1 SB v.1 (now unused), 1 SB Classic, broken :-(, 1 Duet, 3 Boom, some SOC (Odroid, RPi2, RpiZeroW) as player
    Logitech Media Server 7.9 on Odroid U3

I started our just using a slaved HDD on PC tower running LMS I eventually purchased a prefabbed NAS by Asustor. At the time I purchased AS-604T the NAS packaged for ADM included Logitech Media Server. ADM is a proprietary platform for Asustor based on OpenSuse and the Ext4 file system. The Gui is very easy, my recommendation is a prefabbed NAS rather than making your own with a bulky chassis running FreeNAS . Synology qNap Asustor etc...
    AS-604T | WiFi Radio x 3 | DLNA x 5| TEAC AG-790 | RusSound SS 6.2 W.H.A.