Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Audio on NICAM VCR's

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    NICAM was an interesting technology, but it was only used on the broadcast side. A VCR recorded analogue audio. Maybe you knew that, I wasn't clear from your post so just clarifying.

Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Agreed, analogue audio recorded at 30ips, although not on 2" wide master tape format sadly.

The tuner in the VHS recorder did have to decode the near (but not quite!) instantaneously compounded audio multiplex part of the TV transmission however.

Dave

Yep, NICAM receiver only. Hifi stereo vhs was pretty good. Very reliant on tracking stability though. Handy for recording stuff longer than 45 minutes too..
    Last edited by drmatt; Today at 10:46.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

VHS Tapes

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Yep, NICAM receiver only. Hifi stereo vhs was pretty good. Very reliant on tracking stability though. Handy for recording stuff longer than 45 minutes too..
    The only (rather serious) drawback to VHS tapes & their containers was that they were flammable & emitted a particularly nasty combination of toxic gas & dense black smoke once on fire.

Consequently having a whole wall of your lounge given over to the things was not a particularly GOOD IDEA. Thankfully CD's et al are not such a fire risk - they are compact as well...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Bill!

It sure is a pretty deck (if you can find room for it, lol): you do have to change the damping fluid periodically since it tends to get clogged up with detritus.

I'm afraid I stand my earlier comment that the LP12/Ittok with a low compliance cartridge gets a lot more information out of the groove however - the rationale is that the stylus moves, the arm/cartridge body doesn't. Also there's no isolation of the turntable/arm board from the rest of the deck on the Transcriptors. The strobe speed setting is very in combination with the damping paddle fine tune, however.

Ultimately more form than substance: well worth keeping as a work of art though!

Dave

P.S. As I recall it got a few free product placements in the movies (I think there's one in Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" if I remember correctly,,, )
    Yes, it's Alex's turntable on which he plays the music of Ludwig van:
    http://www.filmandfurniture.com/wp-c...r-1024x576.jpg

There's also one in the Design Collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York:
    https://www.moma.org/collection/works/3339

I really should replace the damping fluid, and I could also use a new drive belt. Looking at it now, though, I see I have a V15 MkIV rather than III. I still have the original Transcriptors arm, although I replaced it with the SME as soon as I got the turntable (acquired in the 1970s as part of a deal with Clive Taylor, former bassist of Amen Corner).