Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Mytek DACs

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Mine only has fast and slow filter settings. I don't remember seeing documentation about the cut-off points for pcm either.
    Would I be right in guessing you have a Mytek Stereo192?

I don't know how the display works on the earlier models, but the Brokkly has a summary display (which you can set to extinguish after a delay if you wish) which shows the sampling frequency in reasonably large format.

Hidden beneath this are a series of menu pages which control all settings & also display average AND peak programme levels for each channel. Is it too tragic to admit that I have a compact pair of binoculars that I use to view the detail menus from my sofa whilst using the remote?

Dave

I wouldn't down-sample a high rate file. It's not always a good idea, I'd leave it alone.

Under some circumstances, you might up-sample before sending the file to the DAC, but this would only make sense if you knew you could up-sample at higher quality than the DAC's internal up-sampling. With a modern DAC, I'd leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    So I'd guess that the PCM filtering is applied just below the Nyquist frequency - isn't the idea of 96kHz sampling frequency recording that you have your anti-aliasing filtering well up above the audible range so there is no impact on the audible frequency response at all (given that real-world filters are not brick-walls)?
    That is true on the ADC side, or it was, but since ADCs are oversampling anyway these days there's no need to record at a higher rate for reasons of the anti-aliasing filter. But you might still record at a higher rate and bit depth in order for more transparent studio processing.

On the playback end, modern DACs tend also to over-sample, which creates images, then apply anti-imaging filters. Usually the DAC up-samples in several stages, and often you'll find a combination of digital (the various DAC digital filter options apply here) and analogue filters to remove images. Up-sampling allows the following analogue anti-imaging filter to be much more relaxed.
    Last edited by darrenyeats; Yesterday at 16:17.
    Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Heat

Since it's too hot today in my concrete box of a lounge for me to ingest anything technical I thought I'd chuck out a couple of links I've had up my sleeve for other people to peruse (& doubtless have a pop at, we could do with a bit of controversy it's all gone a bit flat).

The first one is the published account by Michel Jurewicz (Mytek Principal Designer) on his philosophy behind the Brokkly DAC design: https://mytekdigital.com/download_li...ooklyn_DAC.pdf.

That one may not raise too many heckles but this one will: https://mytekdigital.com/download_li...ution_2014.pdf.

Please remember not to shoot the messenger!

Dave (anything but right now... )

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Would I be right in guessing you have a Mytek Stereo192?

I don't know how the display works on the earlier models, but the Brokkly has a summary display (which you can set to extinguish after a delay if you wish) which shows the sampling frequency in reasonably large format.

Hidden beneath this are a series of menu pages which control all settings & also display average AND peak programme levels for each channel. Is it too tragic to admit that I have a compact pair of binoculars that I use to view the detail menus from my sofa whilst using the remote?

Dave
    Yep, that's the one. It's about the same as you describe. Yes there's a timeout possible on the display so it goes "almost blank". I don't really want the display on most of the time but sometimes it's handy to get the sample rate info. For some reason I never even bothered to put the batteries in the remote for it; mostly because I'm not using any of its preamp features, only its DAC.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..