Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

External DAC on Transporter: best output option

What is the best output method to send the signal to an external dac.

I recently tried a SPL Director. There was a marked impovement when connecting it straight from a NAS to it though USB, but the improvement was barely audible when going from the Transporter reading the data wifi from my Surface pro 3 tablet using spdif.

Anybody have an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucmichaud View Post

I recently tried a SPL Director. There was a marked impovement when connecting it straight from a NAS to it though USB, but the improvement was barely audible when going from the Transporter reading the data wifi from my Surface pro 3 tablet using spdif.

Anybody have an idea?
    Really depends on your DAC.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

I'm not sure what the last sentence means.

What are your input choices on your DAC?

https://spl.info/en/products/profess.../overview.html

"Four digital inputs: USB, AES/EBU, coaxial, optical"

The Transporter is supposed to have a pretty good DAC anyway, so improvements are likely to be quite marginal, or "to taste" shall we say at least. Pick any of them - it's really about how good the clock recovery is in the DAC. Async USB would be a good choice, but Im not sure you have that option on the Transporter. (Ironically you would if you have the lesser Touch.)
    Last edited by drmatt; 2016-11-26 at 07:41.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Sometimes different Dacs respond/sound differently from various inputs.

Best thing to do is try them all and settle on what your Dac sounds the best with....

If you're using an external DAC with your transporter, sell the transporter.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If you're using an external DAC with your transporter, sell the transporter.
    Exactly. Transporter is a high end DAC bolted on to a bog standard squeezebox streamer. If you're not using its DAC it's an expensive digital source.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

I recently tried a SPL Director.
    Don't. The Transporter internal DAC is first-rate.

There was a marked improvement when connecting it straight from a NAS to it though USB, but the improvement was barely audible when going from the Transporter reading the data wifi from my Surface pro 3 tablet using spdif.
    Ever hear of the placebo effect?

Anybody have an idea?
    Your evaluation was most likely not level-matched, not time-synched, and not blind. IOW you most likely heard what you wanted to hear.

I recently saw an industry survey that showed over 400 different makes and models of ADCs. What's ironic is that there are very many reasons to believe that if the listening tests avoid the common errors listed above, they would all sound the same.

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    I recently saw an industry survey that showed over 400 different makes and models of ADCs. What's ironic is that there are very many reasons to believe that if the listening tests avoid the common errors listed above, they would all sound the same.
    Probably not. Some have non-optimal reconstruction filters on purpose, and others have analog stages that are tweaked for a "house sound".
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

I have a radical solution.

Take the transporter and gut it...then put a raspberrypi inside and use the USB output.

You get the benefit of having the transporter still in the rack and usb output, which you said sounds better.

*Can* sound better, as it will allow the DAC to operate using its own internal clock.
    --