Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Audio stutters, wired and wireless

Looking for some troubleshooting assistance to determine the cause of garbled, stuttering audio from my Boom. Here's what I've tried to no avail:

1. Switch between mysqueezebox.com and the local server
    2. try both wired and wireless internet
    3. factory reset and Xilinx reset (multiple times)
    4. try mp3, flac, and wma
    5. reseat wifi card
    6. completely remove wifi card
    7. play straight to line-in

Each time it will play for maybe a minute and then start stuttering. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

When playing what, from what? Do you have other devices that work ok?
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

If it happens on line in too it could well be either hardware or a power supply issue.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    If it happens on line in too it could well be either hardware or a power supply issue.
    Great questions, thanks for replying. I've tried playing both local and internet streams. I have a Squeezebox Radio, Smart Radio (downgraded to Squeezebox) and a Raspberry Pi running Squeezelite, all playing without issue and synchronized on the same network from the same sources.

This Boom is about 6 years old. The original power adapter died after 3 years and I replaced it with a generic 12V brick with barrel connector. It's worked fine now for 3 years, but just in case I swapped it out with another 12V brick and the problem is the same. It plays 1 song fine and halfway through the second song it starts stuttering.

I also did get the dreaded "DAC FAIL-CANT TALK" message briefly when performing a power up + 1 reset, but then it quickly switched to "Programming Xilinx"

Thanks for any other troubleshooting assistance you can provide.

Then it does all sound like it's probably terminal.. I don't know if there's any obvious internal components (e.g. voltage regulators, "usual suspect" capacitors) that might be a no brainer to swap, but it's possible it could be resurrected with a soldering iron...
    --

I was thinking the same thing.

I know it's sacrilege, but the Sonos is $149 now on Amazon. Glad it died on Black Friday. :-)

Thanks for the help.

Bah, buy a chromecast audio and a pair of powered speakers and use it in place of the boom.
    --

Actually I'm not so convinced. Does it stutter, too, if you don't sync it to the other players?
    Which file format do you play?
    This sounds like more of a sync/transcoding issue to me
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Don't think I saw any mention of "sync". And the killer is stutter on "line in"...
    --

Audio stutters, wired and wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Sub123 View Post
    Great questions, thanks for replying. I've tried playing both local and internet streams. I have a Squeezebox Radio, Smart Radio (downgraded to Squeezebox) and a Raspberry Pi running Squeezelite, all playing without issue and synchronized on the same network from the same sources.
    This mentions sync.
    And if it "stutters" on line-in I don't understand the meaning of "stutter", line in uses the analog part only, it can't really stutter.

If it cuts out due to lack of power I'd try a higher-voltage power supply. Beta Test Booms originally came with an 18V unit with which they were definitely getting too hot but they worked.
    I'm running mine using a 15V source now for 7 or 8 years so that should work fine, I think 12V might be on the low end and if the power supply doesn't deliver that reliably the Boom might cut out.

If you don't trust 15V (mine is also a beta unit) you can try 13.8V first, that's also quite common.
    I don't remember the amps you need but my power supply is good for 5A
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch