Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by muggo View Post
    Any clues in this log Roland?
    No, nothing unusual in it - which means that it's not the USB connection which is at fault.
    Next step is to check the logs including the relevant time in /var/log (syslog, messages, daemon.log, kern.log etc.).

We have a Dell server running Centos that does this. It appears to be after an extended period of use when the server will simply refuse to recognise the dismounted USB drive again until it has been rebooted.
    We have another identical Dell running the same version of Centos which uses the same brand of HD in the same brand of USB caddy where everything is fine.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

This is curious, especially after the last 2 posts.
    It seems to be behaving itself at the moment so I may just leave it.
    Max2Play appears to be another option but I'm not sure it would help as it appears to be h/w related & not Squeeze s/w at fault.
    Or is it?

I think this might be the issue:
    Nov 6 11:16:33 localhost kernel: [97266.240322] Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 18174271

Found it in kern log.

Google suggests it may be a problem with drive controller or drive itself & nothing to do with SB s/w.
    Drive SMART data shows no problems so perhaps it's the drive controller.
    I have another external disk cabinet & controller so I'll swap the drive into this, see what happens & report back.

SMART health/short tests don't always detect issues. If the disk is damaged and read or writes fail repeatedly, the OS will try to reset the drive, and this in turn probably causes the USB bus and the mount to disappear.
    If you do not have a backup, I would advise to make a copy of the data on that drive without delay.
    There is possibly a part of the drive that won't read, making a bulk copy operation fail or stall. It's probably safer to attend the process and try to backup the most important files first.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

This can easily be anything in the chain from a marginal slow to respond drive through failing PSU and USB bridge and bad USB cables or over long cables to bad USB controller on the host. Assuming sda is your USB drive and not your boot drive.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Solution!

I copied all my music onto another hard drive & remounted.
    It has now gone 7 days since & the system still works.
    Although SMART reported no errors, it seems it was faulty after all.
    Many thanks to all who tried to help.

Regards
    Paul