Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sckramer View Post
    FYI USB-->

Still have a touch kicking around so tried it on my PSAudio DL3 (USB1) and a Schiit Multibit Dac (USB2 Async).

Go back into Digital Output-->Select digital output--> after you've gone thru a reboot and established the connection.

There will be the text "[Info]" appended onto the current USB connection description, click that and you'll find "Type: "

It will be "Type: Adaptive" for old school USB1, "Type: Async" for USB2 async.
    Thanks! Mine says ASYNC.

Can someone tell me what ASYNC actually means/does?

It means the DAC dictates the rate of data send, so the DAC syncs to its own internal clock and "pulls" audio data from the host instead of the host sending a stream and dictating. Async is likely to be the highest quality option because the DAC doesn't rely on the PC audio card clock.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    It means the DAC dictates the rate of data send, so the DAC syncs to its own internal clock and "pulls" audio data from the host instead of the host sending a stream and dictating. Async is likely to be the highest quality option because the DAC doesn't rely on the PC audio card clock.
    So, USB is a better choice (at least in my case) then optical & coaxial connections?

Not sure how important is pulling the data vs host sending it, of course

Well, it depends on which device has the more stable clock, essentially. However it's generally likely that an offboard DACs own clock is more reliable than the PC with the audio data on it.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

I wanted your suggestion as how a connection should be.

This is how I connect my Mojo after some suggestions here.

Class D Amp>Mojo via RCA to 3.5mm cable > Logitech Squeezebox Touch via USB and I have Raspberry PI computer that is running the Logitech Media Server. The problem here (losing convenience) I need to run to set the volume to 100% (bit perfect) on the Logitech Touch. But then it is a pain to adjust the volume from Mojo since there is no remote.

Do you have any other connection suggestion other than I how I currently use? Maybe add a preamp with a remote, get another DAC with remote control (volume).

My other question is how do people use the Touch's DAC if they need to set the volume at 100%? I guess there has to be a preamp/integrated amp to use it, no?

I'm told the SBT implements a transparent digital volume control (I.e. no scaling artifacts) down to -48db when running into a 24 bit DAC, so you could in fact use the SBT digital volume with the mojo. But I use a preamp with analogue volume control.
    --

I sometimes use one of these,

http://hifi-products.com/Firestone-A...-PicFront.html

Chord should be able to advise, but in some cases (I have an iFi Nano, and it applies to this) setting the dac volume to 100% works.

ronnie