Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

advice on music file storage

i've been storing my music files in apple lossless format on a mac mini which is nearly maxed out in hard disk capacity and other hardware aspects such it is hardly able to boot up and play music. time to change things around. my thought is to upgrade my MacBook pro to one with a larger hard disk and have just one computer instead of 2 to deal with and store everything and run LMS from there. but then i thought maybe there is a better solution that folks here could point me towards.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a backup/copy of all your files. I will soon need to get a larger HDD for my files, but having a 2nd set is key

Quote Originally Posted by jfbusch View Post
    i've been storing my music files in apple lossless format on a mac mini which is nearly maxed out in hard disk capacity and other hardware aspects such it is hardly able to boot up and play music. time to change things around. my thought is to upgrade my MacBook pro to one with a larger hard disk and have just one computer instead of 2 to deal with and store everything and run LMS from there. but then i thought maybe there is a better solution that folks here could point me towards.
    There's quite a lot of options available that don't involve replacing your entire computer! It's not clear from your post whether you want to upgrade your Mac Mini or your MacBook Pro - clearly a desktop would be better for LMS, but it really depends on your use case scenario. You can easily plugin external storage to your Mac, and store all your music on it. If your HDD is maxed out, freeing up some place on it will certainly improve performance. I have a 2009 vintage MacMini where I have upped the RAM, replaced the original HDD with an SSD, and replaced the non-working optical drive with a larger 1.5TB HDD for my lossless music; and it absolutely flies. If you share details of your computer, it might be possible to make clearer suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by HipGirl View Post
    You need to use a program to compress your files, then you can store more music.
    Actually ALAC files are already compressed pretty efficiently (almost as efficiently as FLAC), so a separate compression program won't be able to improve the result much (unless you have enormous amounts of cover art and other non-audio stuff).
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

I would suggest that you buy an external drive and copy all of your music over to it as soon as possible. You can then change LMS to point to your external drive.
    If you are having problems booting up, you don't want to wait for the day that it won't boot up!
    I would strongly suggest you get another external drive and copy your files to that one as well; every library should have a back up.

I like the suggestion above to replace your Hard drive with a solid state drive (no moving parts!), however, the process can be a little tricky as it involves cracking open the mac mini and replacing the drive. Detailed instructions are available elsewhere (youtube, apple, there is a thread here somewhere also).

External drives are fairly inexpensive now, installation is quite easy, and after you copy your library you will have peace of mind.

It's really a question of what you want to accomplish. If you are playing music through your stereo system (as distinct from only through the computers) there are advantages to having an always-on system. I'm on Windows platforms, so my own setup may not be relevant to you, but I use a dedicated small computer (FitPC3, fanless, low power) that's always on as the music server. It's got a small SSD, but I've attached a 1 tb external drive (just an internal drive in a dock) for music and video storage. The server is controlled from a variety of control devices and played to a variety of players. It is used mainly for the music using LMS, but is configured to allow serving videos to the TV.

All music is first processed on my main desktop computer, which holds the music archive. Once processed the music is transferred to the music server over the network, creating two copies. I also have a lossy version of every track in a separate location, for use on mobile devices; and I back up the music to 2.5" laptop drives, through a docking mechanism, and store the backups in a safety deposit box at a bank.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2016-10-28 at 04:51.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by jfbusch View Post
    How old is your Mini? I have a late 2012 and only use the internal SSD for OS and apps. All audio is on one of these:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...enclosure.html

I've loaded it with 2-2TB drives and 3-3TB drives. I'm running it as JBOD (all drives are seen individually) on USB-3. Oe of the 2TB drives has all my music on it... well over 37,000 songs mostly FLAC as well as high resolution and 5.1 mixes. The 2nd 2TB drive is the backup of the original, using Retrospect as my backup software.

All of the 3TB drives are used to backup all of my Macs within the house, again using Restrospect as my backup software option.

With the cost of drives getting cheaper and cheaper, I'd certainly look at the option of upgrading your storage space... you're eventually going to have to do that, anyway.

Mac MINI (late 2012) 2.8GHz i7
    16GB RAM
    250GB SSD internal
    13TB External storage - Music & Data
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com