Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Classic FM HD Audio?

My Classic FM iOS App updated today. It claims to support new HD audio. I can't find anything on their web site that says what this actually is. But anyway, is there a way to play this with LMS?

I'm sure there is but I need to register to play HD streams and it looks like it is a UK only service.

Well I'm listening to Classic FM HD with the iPad app on my Air2, but I can't really say it sounds any better. But then I'm listening on the Air2's builtin speakers which sound pretty rubbish anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    Well I'm listening to Classic FM HD with the iPad app on my Air2, but I can't really say it sounds any better. But then I'm listening on the Air2's builtin speakers which sound pretty rubbish anyway.
    Any idea what they actually mean by "HD"?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Any idea what they actually mean by "HD"?
    No. I can't find anything on the Classic FM website or elsewhere as to what they actually mean.

I suspect it is the same as BBC definition ( http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...radio_hd_sound ) 320kbps AAC-LC probably using DASH or HLS as this is "easier" to broadcast.

Installed the App on my android phone this morning and started playing the Aled Jones programme.

Within a few minutes he mentioned that the App was live and that I could listen to the current tune in "Wide, Expansive HD Audio" but it doesn't show anywhere on the app.
    I'm not normally an ear bud listener and find it difficult to compare and there's nowhere to show what the encoding is. So non the wiser.

There's an HD on/off slider in the app on my iPad.

EDIT: when I slide it one way or the other, sound drops for a short time and then comes back as it switches to the other stream. HD also warns me to make sure I'm using wifi as there may be additional data charges.
    Last edited by Owen Smith; 2016-10-27 at 05:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
    ... But anyway, is there a way to play this with LMS?
    I had a quick look at captured network packets with the Android Classic FM App with HD turned on. I guess it is using shoutcast/icecast at 192kbps aac, as I see the following stuff around the start of what I assume is the playing stream:
    Code:
    Content-Type: audio/aac
    icy-br:192
    ice-audio-info: ice-samplerate=44100;ice-bitrate=192;ice-channels=2
    icy-br:192
    icy-description:Classic FM
    icy-genre:Classical
    icy-name:Classic FM
    icy-private:0
    icy-pub:1
    icy-url:http://www.classicfm.com/classicfm
    Server: Icecast 2.3.3-kh11
    The uri used is very long with long 'listenerid', 'hdauth' and 'skey' strings in there, plus a playerid (ClassicAndroidAppV4). Not sure if it would be feasible to get the appropriate authorisation working in an LMS plugin.