Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How is the user interface implemented with the slim protocol

I am trying to get a overview picture how the ui is implemented in a device like sb touch.

Is my understanding correct that the touch just contains a "dumb" player, which just gets its stream via the server. And that the gui in the touch is basically the same as a remote control application..so the user interface buttons are all sent to the server, which in turn sends commands to the player part ?

Or are there also some funtions from the ui handled locally ?

Is there somwhere some high level overview of the protocol interactions ?

I was also wondering if there is already som implementation of a ui in C++ ?

Any help or suggestions would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by prutser View Post
    I am trying to get a overview picture how the ui is implemented in a device like sb touch.

Is my understanding correct that the touch just contains a "dumb" player, which just gets its stream via the server. And that the gui in the touch is basically the same as a remote control application..so the user interface buttons are all sent to the server, which in turn sends commands to the player part ?

Or are there also some funtions from the ui handled locally ?

Is there somwhere some high level overview of the protocol interactions ?

I was also wondering if there is already som implementation of a ui in C++ ?

Any help or suggestions would be nice.
    Sounds like you want to do some sort of reimplementation - it might help if we knew what you want to accomplish.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

How is the user interface implemented with the slim protocol

There is JiveLite which is a UI implementation pretty similar to the Touch and of course SqueezePlay which is the very software running on the Touch.
    There are a few things that are handled locally (selecting servers, network setup, screen savers, UI settings) but everything else is run through the server.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Sounds like you want to do some sort of reimplementation - it might help if we knew what you want to accomplish.
    Basically I want to create a stand alone player, with a custom user interface. User interface has to be integated witb something else. ui is written in c++.

Preferably i want tu use squeezelite..already using it.

Combining squeezelite with a separate remote interface would do the trick. Bug I was wondering how this us done in f.i the touch and the transporter.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

As I said: look at the two pieces of SW I mentioned.
    Transporter is very different.
    You might also want to look up the CLI for details about how to control the player.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Yes, playing the music and controlling the player are pretty separate things - better to keep them separate in the software architecture too.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953