Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

No sound from a Squeezebox Duet

I have a Squeezebox Classic, an SB3, a Touch, and a Radio, all of which work perfectly. I recently bought a used Duet and have been unable to get any sound out of it. I have reset my router, my PC, and the Duet many times to no avail.

The controller appears to work as it should and will control my other devices if I change that setting. The receiver will power on and cycle through the various colours as it should ending on white. Logitech Media Server (7.7.5) will show the receiver as connected with a strong wireless signal. The controller will turn the receiver on and off. The volume is set to 100%.

I have tried using the Duet in two separate audio systems in different parts of my house. I have tried the RCA analogue outputs, the optical output, and the co-axial output, but get no sound from any of them.

In one of my audio systems I have a Benchmark DAC. This external DAC has an indicator LED that shows whether an input connection is present on its optical or co-ax inputs. This light works as it should if I connect my Touch using either of those inputs. However, if I connect the Duet receiver to either of these inputs, the DAC does not recognize the connection as being present.

In summary, both the receiver and the controller will power up and connect wirelessly to LMS via my network, but all the outputs from the receiver appear to be dead. This looks to me like a hardware failure in the receiver, but the person who sold me the Duet says that it functions perfectly and says that I should uninstall 7.7.5 and use 7.7.3 instead.

I've spent a lot of time on this and am finding it quite frustrating. I would welcome any insight into the cause of this problem and any likely solutions. Please help!

My sincere thanks in advance...

Hmm no version of lms would help even 7.7.5 is quite old .

Did you reset the reciever itself ? Holding the fron button untlll it flashes red fast , it takes some more time than the usual reset which makes it flash red slow ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Hmm no version of lms would help even 7.7.5 is quite old .

Did you reset the reciever itself ? Holding the fron button untlll it flashes red fast , it takes some more time than the usual reset which makes it flash red slow ?
    Thanks for your prompt response. Which version of LMS would you recommend that is known to be reliable and stable with all my Squeezebox devices, including the Duet?

To answer your question, yes I have reset the receiver as you describe (several times).

Then it migth be dead .

If you start a song will the song appear to play , the timer continues forward in the song the artwork show at the controller .
    I think the led at the reciver will change to dim white vs bright white .

Is the reciever conected to your local LMS i.e. How does it show up in the drop down tab in LMS web-UI where you can chose players .

Did the previous owner unregistered it on my squeezeboxe.com ? He has to .

Note that the duet is two separate devices with two Mac addresses, can you see both at the router ?

Can you select the reciver with the controller or web-UI ?
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Have you tried getting the test tones ?

From the wiki, if you press and hold the button while plugging in the Receiver, you'll see the button sequence through a series of colors and a set of ascending test tones will be played through the audio outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Then it migth be dead .

If you start a song will the song appear to play , the timer continues forward in the song the artwork show at the controller .
    I think the led at the reciver will change to dim white vs bright white .

Is the reciever conected to your local LMS i.e. How does it show up in the drop down tab in LMS web-UI where you can chose players .

Did the previous owner unregistered it on my squeezeboxe.com ? He has to .

Note that the duet is two separate devices with two Mac addresses, can you see both at the router ?

Can you select the reciver with the controller or web-UI ?

The timer on the controller has been inconsistent. Usually it doesn't move, although if I press < after a few seconds and then >, the display will show that the timer has advanced just before it resets to zero. Sometimes the timer will advance (as it did when I tried it again yesterday).

Yes, the receiver is connected to LMS. I don't use the web interface, but I could take a look if it will help.

I'll check whether the previous owner deleted his registration.

I haven't checked the router; I'll look into that, although both units appear to be connecting to my network.

Yes, I can select the receiver from the controller. As I say, I don't use the web interface.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Have you tried getting the test tones ?

From the wiki, if you press and hold the button while plugging in the Receiver, you'll see the button sequence through a series of colors and a set of ascending test tones will be played through the audio outputs.
    So the receiver will generate these test tones itself, i.e. without having LMS running or needing a network connection? If it will do this independently, then this should be a useful test! I'll give it a try...

Oh, and thanks also for the link to the Wiki!

If it does not advance while playing ? What are you playing ?

A local MP3 file or flac file is best to start with before radio stations services and more exotic formats .

Try the reciver wired not wifi ( you need yet another reset to configure that ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    I have a Squeezebox Classic, an SB3, a Touch, and a Radio, all of which work perfectly. I recently bought a used Duet and have been unable to get any sound out of it. I have reset my router, my PC, and the Duet many times to no avail.

The controller appears to work as it should and will control my other devices if I change that setting. The receiver will power on and cycle through the various colours as it should ending on white. Logitech Media Server (7.7.5) will show the receiver as connected with a strong wireless signal. The controller will turn the receiver on and off. The volume is set to 100%.

I have tried using the Duet in two separate audio systems in different parts of my house. I have tried the RCA analogue outputs, the optical output, and the co-axial output, but get no sound from any of them.

In one of my audio systems I have a Benchmark DAC. This external DAC has an indicator LED that shows whether an input connection is present on its optical or co-ax inputs. This light works as it should if I connect my Touch using either of those inputs. However, if I connect the Duet receiver to either of these inputs, the DAC does not recognize the connection as being present.

In summary, both the receiver and the controller will power up and connect wirelessly to LMS via my network, but all the outputs from the receiver appear to be dead. This looks to me like a hardware failure in the receiver, but the person who sold me the Duet says that it functions perfectly and says that I should uninstall 7.7.5 and use 7.7.3 instead.

I've spent a lot of time on this and am finding it quite frustrating. I would welcome any insight into the cause of this problem and any likely solutions. Please help!

My sincere thanks in advance...
    Is the player regisered at mysqueezebox.com ??
    Has the old user deleted his account. ???
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Receiver - S.M.S.L DAC, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Office: Transporter, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

Problem solved!

Well, perhaps not solved exactly...

I asked the previous owner to delete the Duet from his account and he replied that he did so at the time he put it up for sale. I have since done yet another reset and...it works! It also shows up in my "mysqueezebox.com" account.

So I'm very happy that the problem has gone away and that I don't have to spend any more time on it. It would be nice to know precisely what the problem was, but that's not the most important thing for me.

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. To complete the analytical thought processes for Mnyb and bpa, I play FLAC files from my PC, and I couldn't get the test tones.

Thanks again for all your help!