Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dansu1
    • Oct 2007

Controller won't boot

I have a duet system that has been in storage for several years. I set it up about two weeks ago and the receiver is working fine but the controller wouldn't boot. I know the receiver is working because I can use a mobile app on my phone to play music through the receiver without any issues. However, the controller still doesn't seem to be working.

If I open the battery compartment and re-seat the battery I see a white LED go on and off. I found some information about doing a reset of the controller by holding down + while pressing the home button. When I do that the lights behind buttons on the front of the controller light up but the device never boots. I even ordered and installed a new Logitech OEM battery but still no luck.

I thought that maybe the controller was booting but the display was just was broken. However, even after I try the reset procedure above, none of the buttons do anything when I look at the player via the web interface on the PC running Logitech Media Server.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting further?
  • w3wilkes
    • Jan 2009

Unless you've turned on the beta squeeze player in the controller firmware you will not see the controller from the LMS web interface. The controller would show as a player if that were enabled. If you look at your router can you see the controller as an attached device (I believe the MAC address of the controller is on a label under the battery so you can use that when you look for attached devices in your router interface)? If your router can see the controller my guess is you may have a dead display on the controller. if not, it is probably a dead controller or battery, have you just left the controller in the charging base to make sure it gets a decent charge? It should give a beep tone sequence when placed in the base to let you know it has made contact for charging.
    Wilkes

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.5.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, both work perfectly, new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.5.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

• indifference_engine
      • Oct 2008

I too have this problem. I know it isn't the battery at fault as I put it into another controller and it worked fine. I had the same issue with my phone (a known problem with Samsung Galaxy S4) and it was due to a sticky power button (see eg https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...n+on+or+charge). However, I took the controller apart, squirted some compressed air over all of the buttons and still nothing. Maybe the internal contacts of the button have broken?
      1xRadio, 2xReceiver, 2xController, 1xSB3, 1xSqueezeLite (on Rpi3/Jessie), SBS 7.9.2 (on Rpi3/Jessie)
      Creator of SqueezeIR applet for the Controller.
      Creator of LineInButton applet for the Radio.

Comment

• bkerouan
        • Apr 2017

Controller won't boot past Logitech logo

I own 2 Duets (one running for years, and the other one in storage as a spare). Weeks ago I experienced my Squeezebox Controller rebooting in cycle. It displays the Logitech logo, then after 30-40 seconds, reboots again and again.

Examined the battery. Looks fine, I tested it and charged it using a specialized charger, the battery is fine.
        Examined the PCB : all the boards are fine.
        Examined the power supply: supplies +5.0v.
        Tried powering directly the PCB board. The Cntroller blinks the leds backlight, displays the Logitech Logo for half a minute then reboots... ;-(

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6924[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	1562427

I've tried to use keys (Home+Plus) to reset the config, but it doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone a clue how to hard-reset the settings, and/or debug the boot process? I've noticed a expansion port at the bottom that carries USB, but I don't have the right connector. Is there a way to get the console via a serial port ?

Thanks for your replies. The hardware is nicely designed, I'm sad it just won't boot anymore.

Bruno

PS: My second Squezebox Controller is in a worse state: it doesn't even light-up the screen. The led backlight briefly flashes once when I put on the power, and that's it. Any idea?

Comment

• w3wilkes
          • Jan 2009

All ways to reload the controller;
          Wilkes

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.5.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, both work perfectly, new power supply) and Squeeseslave
          Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.5.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
          Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
          Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

• Fahzz
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dansu1
            I even ordered and installed a new Logitech OEM battery but still no luck.
            Where did you find a Logitech OEM battery?
            Beelink EQ 12 w/LMS Server 8.4 on Windows 11
            SMSL SU-1 DAC
            Router: Netgear R700P
            Music Service: Qobuz
            Logitech Boom

Comment

• spiff
              • Sep 2009

Anyone succeded in reviving SB controller

I know I am pulling out an old thread, but it seems this is not the first time

I too have a squeezebox controller which does not boot up. Same symptoms as others describe in this thread; button backlights briefly light up when inserting the battery, but display is dark, and there is no other indication of anything happening. There is 5V at the charging cradle contacts, and battery has just been replaced.

The controller (and SB receiver) has been in storage for a couple of years - I have a couple of Booms that have been used meanwhile.

Did anyone succeed in reviving this SB controller? Seems it must be a common error.

Comment

• Starminder
                • Apr 2017

Fixed

My Controller was hung. It would show the logitech logo, then the free your Music, then back to the logo.

I held down "+" and powered off and back on. Boom. I had just about given up hope.

Comment

Working...