Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

BT Smart Hub and Squeezebox Touch (not wi fi related)

I just upgraded (?) my BT hub with the new Smart Hub. I can no longer use my Squeezebox touch as it cannot connect to the internet. It is hard wired to the Router and my Vortexbox appliance which I use it with is also hardwired.

Alas I cannot get the Squeezebox to work at all as apparently it needs to connect with squeezebox.com. Presumably the new hub is preventing this.
    I have tried several forums, some with pictures to guide you, but alas the new BT Smart Hub interface seems quite different to its last version.

I would be most grateful if anyone has a similar set up if they could advise me on a solution. I am fairly adept with computers, but must admit that networking tends to baffle me (I blame old age) so need full in depth help if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

Jes

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    I just upgraded (?) my BT hub with the new Smart Hub. I can no longer use my Squeezebox touch as it cannot connect to the internet. It is hard wired to the Router and my Vortexbox appliance which I use it with is also hardwired.

Alas I cannot get the Squeezebox to work at all as apparently it needs to connect with squeezebox.com. Presumably the new hub is preventing this.
    I have tried several forums, some with pictures to guide you, but alas the new BT Smart Hub interface seems quite different to its last version.

I would be most grateful if anyone has a similar set up if they could advise me on a solution. I am fairly adept with computers, but must admit that networking tends to baffle me (I blame old age) so need full in depth help if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

Jes
    Is your Touch connected to the new network?

What options do you see on your Touch at Home > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network?
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Many thanks for your reply.

This is perhaps what is making this such a pain, the fact I cannot connect to my Vortexbox on my network.
    I have tried through the Touch screen to connect to the Ethernet but it comes up DHCP address cannot be found.
    I clicked on self asign IP address and it tries to connect to Squeezebox.com but comes up with "there is a problem'

I checked Network health and it says there is no valid IP
    Trie the repair network option but again No Valid IP
    MY Ethernet Info shows the following:
    Ethernet: 100Mbps
    IP Address: 169.254.159. *** (Is it safe to give out full info?)
    IP Subnet 255.255.0.*
    IP Gateway: nil
    DNS Server: Nil

Server Info

my squeezebox.com: DNS Failed
    Ping: Can't Ping
    TCP PORT 3483: Can't connect
    TCP Poprt 9000
    Can't connect

all other options: Not connected

I have checked the cables, my Squeezebox Touch is connected to a hub which is in turn connected to the BT Smart hub (as with previous hub).
    Every other wired device is working (apart from my CCTV, but I will try other forums for that!).

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Is your Touch connected to the new network?

What options do you see on your Touch at Home > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Choose Network?

The 169.254... IP address means that the device failed to get an address via DHCP so it assigned its own. Sometimes this is useful when testing things without a hub/router but in your case this is not a good sign.
    Are you connecting directly to the BT Smart Hub or going via some intermediate system like Powerline (Ethernet via the home power cables)?
    If not direct then try connecting direct.

The BT Smart Hub (aka HH6) has gigabit Ethernet ports. HH5 was, I think, 100Mb. In theory that should not cause a problem because the gigabit port should be able handle 100Mb connection but perhaps it is causing an odd issue when auto-sensing is going on.
    You could try switching cables with one of the devices that is working fine.

Is there anything in the HH6 set-up pages that is related to the wired ports?

I did have the Touch connected to an 8 port hub which in turn was connected to the BT Smart Hub.
    Tried your suggestion of connecting it directly to the Smart Hub.

ITS WORKING!

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I have no idea why this makes a difference, but it did so i'm a happy man (although my wife was happy there was all in my playing of ZEP, FLOYD and YES!)

Many thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    The 169.254... IP address means that the device failed to get an address via DHCP so it assigned its own. Sometimes this is useful when testing things without a hub/router but in your case this is not a good sign.
    Are you connecting directly to the BT Smart Hub or going via some intermediate system like Powerline (Ethernet via the home power cables)?
    If not direct then try connecting direct.

The BT Smart Hub (aka HH6) has gigabit Ethernet ports. HH5 was, I think, 100Mb. In theory that should not cause a problem because the gigabit port should be able handle 100Mb connection but perhaps it is causing an odd issue when auto-sensing is going on.
    You could try switching cables with one of the devices that is working fine.

Is there anything in the HH6 set-up pages that is related to the wired ports?

Will be interesting to see over time if this fixes things for others using Ethernet with BT Smart Hub.

I wonder if powering off/pause/on your Ethernet hub would allow things to work for you as originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Will be interesting to see over time if this fixes things for others using Ethernet with BT Smart Hub.

I wonder if powering off/pause/on your Ethernet hub would allow things to work for you as originally intended.

I have been with Plusnet on a couple of accounts for a few years now; when I was looking into changing to a different router I googled about a bit and on more than one forum saw the advice to disconnect, via the router gui, the internet connection on the old router before swapping in the new one.

This I have done.

I have now idea how valid this advice was/is but it chimes with Paul's posting.

atb

Ronnie.

If you change a router you should reboot ALL network components including switches. The job of a switch is to remember where everything is to speed the network routing. It does this by ARP caching which IIRC uses MAC addresses. The switch would remember the route to the internet etc as the MAC address of the old router. Rebooting clears its cache,
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If you change a router you should reboot ALL network components including switches. The job of a switch is to remember where everything is to speed the network routing. It does this by ARP caching which IIRC uses MAC addresses. The switch would remember the route to the internet etc as the MAC address of the old router. Rebooting clears its cache,
    +1

Yes to that , arp cache can linger for a while , I suppose if you reintroduce the switch again it will work ( rebooted )

Btw OP said "hub" not switch an Ethernet hub is very old sad thing . Superceeded by Ethernet switches for 5-10$ if it's really an old 10BaseT hub get yourself an 8 port switch instead ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Switch not Hub!

Yes sorry, still using old terminology (showing my age), I do use an 8 port gigabyte switch, infact two of them, one in the living room for TV AVR Blue Ray etc and one in the Man Cave for computer, consoles etc!

Yes to that , arp cache can linger for a while , I suppose if you reintroduce the switch again it will work ( rebooted )

Btw OP said "hub" not switch an Ethernet hub is very old sad thing . Superceeded by Ethernet switches for 5-10$ if it's really an old 10BaseT hub get yourself an 8 port switch instead ?[/QUOTE]