Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I like the original idea. I've considered it and how to implement it years ago going as far as writing a script for my old Music DAM software that utilized a thesaurus.

In actual use, I didn't find it very useful because in LMS and others I ended up with something like the 500 genres described. What I really wanted was to utilize the hierarchy rather than just a bunch of genres.

So, I then went about creating a "Style" tag, which serves as a sub-genre. All my files now have a Genre and Style tag. My library has about 40 Genres, some files have multiple Genres, like the odd-ball music that can be classified as Blues or Rock.

The Style tag then has sub-genres much like the examples described earlier in this thread... e.g. Hard-Bop, Electric-Blues, Alternative-Rock, Free-Jazz, etc.

In LMS, I then use the Custom-Scan and Custom-Menu plugins (Erland's) to create a menu that allows me to browse: Genre/Style/....

As well as an option that lets me browse by Style only.

I also use the Dynamic Playlist plugin to create playlists by style or genre.

It's all a little more fluid and usable.

Well, I'm not sure that would do what I want. Getting the taxonomies right is one thing (using nested genres, or styles), but auto-populating higher level categories is what I was looking for. Specifying "Chicago Blues" would automatically populate higher-level categories. So it would appear in a genre-search in genres like "Blues" and "Electric Blues" and "Urban Blues". By only entering one value.

I don't have any illusion that this will actually happen, but you never know.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)