Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi Marius,
    Be careful about arch-linux.it is a rolling distribution at the bleeding edge.Just for listening to music, you won't need this. It is definitively nothing for Linux beginners. Try armbian, it is based on debian jessie and rock solid.works for me on a cubietruck for years now.
    Greets
    Chris

Yes I tried arch,but switched back for comforts sake
    Cubietruck with armbian runnig lms and squeezelite for my hifi System (feeding an ifi micro)
    2 Squeezebox Radios (kitchen and bath)
    Nubert NuPro A200, AW350 Sub , raspi 3 with hifiberry digi+ for the bedroom
    raspi A with M2Tech HiFace usb dac and JBL Control 1 for the balcony :-)

Thanks Chrissy and Ronnie for your feedback.

I looked at Arch, because RuneAudio seems to be based on it, but see that Armbian should work just as well.

Looking forward to receiving my packages and starting the build!

BR.

--Marius--

Use a CubieTruck?

I've tried a Raspberry Pi to USB using PiCorePlayer and was disappointed with the results.

More recently, I've used a CubieTruck - a board that separates the USB and Ethernet comms buses. It's fairly straight forward to install Armbian (a Debian Jessie) for CubieTruck on an SD card and then get Squeezelite, which is now available in the main Debian repository and it installs automatically when called for. You just need to identify your output device, change a configuration file and you have a Squeezebox.

I've also used a CubieTruck for running LMS and the normal version for Debian works fine on top of the Armbian OS image.

I confirm what Chrissy says above - don't try messing about with Arch-Linux - it will end in tears!

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Shorter; 2017-01-04 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shorter View Post
    I've tried a Raspberry Pi to USB using PiCorePlayer and was disappointed with the results.
    What aspects did you find disappointing?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Hmmm,

Thanks all for the very interesting discussion. It does indeed seem that we are not yet at a stage where there is definitive recommended hardware for an up-to-date touch replacement.
    This has replaced my Touch
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post858334
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Well, that certainly is a cool solution. Server/player/storage all in one, with a nice big touch display. Looks like there's room in that case to squeeze in a laptop drive if you wanted. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    What aspects did you find disappointing?
    Hi Julf

My comparison was with a Pi with HifiBerry DiGi+ HAT and PiCorePlayer in to a MUTEC MC3+USB re-clocker and Naim DAC. The rest of the system is Naim amps and QUAD 2085 'speakers.

These things are always a bit difficult to put in to words but I felt that the USB Pi just sounded a little flat, lacking in presence and uninspiring compared with the DIGI+ Pi ("a little" is an important qualification here). I suspect the differences would have been bigger if the MUTEC had not been in place but have never tried it. The CubieTruck USB sounds pretty much the same as the DIGI+ Pi and so maybe there is something in the story about the Pi's shared USB and Ethernet buses compromising the quality of the Pi USB output. I don't know but the Pi DIGI+ and CubieTruck both provide very high quality digital front-ends in my set-up.

Although the CubieTruck board is more expensive than a Pi, compared with the DIGI+ Pi, you don't need a HAT board and the Cubie comes with a case, which narrows the price difference.

Chris

My comparison was with a Pi with HifiBerry DiGi+ HAT and PiCorePlayer in to a MUTEC MC3+USB re-clocker and Naim DAC. The rest of the system is Naim amps and QUAD 2085 'speakers.
    So you had a Pi with the digi+ hat on one hand, and a Pi with the mutech re-clocker and naim DAC on the other hand? Or was the naim DAC driven by the cubie?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

More recently, I've used a CubieTruck - a board that separates the USB and Ethernet comms buses. It's fairly straight forward to install Armbian (a Debian Jessie) for CubieTruck on an SD card and then get Squeezelite, which is now available in the main Debian repository and it installs automatically when called for. You just need to identify your output device, change a configuration file and you have a Squeezebox.

I've also used a CubieTruck for running LMS and the normal version for Debian works fine on top of the Armbian OS image.

I confirm what Chrissy says above - don't try messing about with Arch-Linux - it will end in tears!

Chris
    Thanks Chris for that comment on your CubieTruck,

I did get hold of an orangepi+2 e before Christmas, which would have done the job. Got as far as setting up Armbian with Squeezelite and Jivelight.

In the end, the project was derailed by my 5" screen getting lost in the post and another use turning up for the orangepi. This time round I've ordered a Pine64, complete wioth 7" touchscreen and nice looking case. The Pine64 has the advantage of a more recent, armbian kernel with fb support, as well as the easier assembly into a nice looking unit. Both the orangepi and the pine64 have separate USB (no builtin hub) and GB ethernet, as well as an overkill of processor power and ram, so should present no bottlenecks.

The unit still hasn't arrived, but next up will be compiling an optimal kernel (tickless?/RT?) Any suggestions for kernel compilation options gratefully received and attempted.

Chris
    Thanks Chris for that comment on your CubieTruck,

I did get hold of an orangepi+2 e before Christmas, which would have done the job. Got as far as setting up Armbian with Squeezelite and Jivelight.

In the end, the project was derailed by my 5" screen getting lost in the post and another use turning up for the orangepi. This time round I've ordered a Pine64, complete wioth 7" touchscreen and nice looking case. The Pine64 has the advantage of a more recent, armbian kernel with fb support, as well as the easier assembly into a nice looking unit. Both the orangepi and the pine64 have separate USB (no builtin hub) and GB ethernet, as well as an overkill of processor power and ram, so should present no bottlenecks.

The unit still hasn't arrived, but next up will be compiling an optimal kernel (tickless?/RT?) Any suggestions for kernel compilation options gratefully received and attempted.