Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    There were problems in the early days but there was a major rewrite of the USB handling low level code and, I think, it behaves well now - although sometimes it requires setting the interface and to run at a lower rate ... which is no issue for the data rates when handling audio.
    Does that include all the rates my DAC is supposed to handle (potentially 24 bit @ 384 and DSD128)?

BR.

I would not recommend the BBB (I have had one boxed up new for at least one year). Not because of any problems but just because the lack of support for any distro you may wish to use.

The Odroid suffers from a similar lack of support, only two current models supported by Max2Play I think and one discontinued.

It's the outstanding community behind the pi that makes it a success.

I have to say that I have run both an Odroid C1+ and rpi3 from usb into the same dac and not heard any difference between the two. I mostly stream radio programs.

If you are in the UK drop me a pm and I might be able to help you try a different computer board.

This link will help you set up a pi using raspbian

http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl/

It's a great shame that Triode no longer has a presence here as his SOA was a simple distro which would have helped in this circumstance.

Also consider going headless and using an app on phone or tablet for control.

ronnie

Best option for USB-only SBT replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Does that include all the rates my DAC is supposed to handle (potentially 24 bit @ 384 and DSD128)?

BR.
    The "nuclear option" as last resort is to set the device to run at USB 1.1 rates - 12Mbps. 24x384k approx 9.5Mb+overhead (assuming my maths is correct) ... plus reading the data from source ... so you could run out of bandwidth ... but it is last resort - you might not need that at all. Try to find someone with the same USB DAC who is running on Raspberry Pi.
    Background (from 2013) https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=28&t=53832
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2016-10-11 at 07:51.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrug View Post
    So - is there problem or was there a problem - I am confused.
    There were some problems and depending on the hardware and software you are running there may still be problems. For example - if you have a Pi V1 then power is an issue.

IIRC While testing various ARM systems for Trode's SOA system, Triode found problems with many of the common product such as cubieboard, cubie, Bananapi, hummingbird, BB and odroid. They settled on wandboard becasue it seemed to be best but I think other problems were later forund. One common hardware problem was with USB 1.1 transactions on USB 2.0 ports meant users had to use a passive USB hub.

All I can say is - before you buy - check all the various user forums and see if there are reported problems or live discussions. Check how many developers are active - not end users and also how up to date is the kernel. Problem may be related to specific devices, devices combinations (e.g. mulitple USB devices) and /or the suopftware support from vendors for chipsets.

Since new products come out all the time, new ARM architectrues are create and different vendors produce different SOC designs - there is no definitive answer except things are a bit better.

Just been reminded of these sort of things, on another thread by Mike Sargent (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...for-Windows-10)

http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-x9s-4...0-mini-pc.html

Ronnie

Hmmm,

Thanks all for the very interesting discussion. It does indeed seem that we are not yet at a stage where there is definitive recommended hardware for an up-to-date touch replacement.

The lack of DoP support from my touch is probably only an academic problem anyway, as I can easily convert all my dff files to 24 bit, 188 (ish) kHz PCM flacs it might be best just to sit it out, until the touch stops working.

One of the great things about the touch is its small physical footprint and ease of use. It sits perfectly on the shelf by my DAC, so I don't want to replace it with a PC or direct USB connection from the server (which is some metres off in another room).

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Hmmm,

Thanks all for the very interesting discussion. It does indeed seem that we are not yet at a stage where there is definitive recommended hardware for an up-to-date touch replacement.

The lack of DoP support from my touch is probably only an academic problem anyway, as I can easily convert all my dff files to 24 bit, 188 (ish) kHz PCM flacs it might be best just to sit it out, until the touch stops working.

One of the great things about the touch is its small physical footprint and ease of use. It sits perfectly on the shelf by my DAC, so I don't want to replace it with a PC or direct USB connection from the server (which is some metres off in another room).
    I have a working Pi3 + Touchscreen in the official case out to a USB DAC. It works very nicely except that it isn't as sturdy as a Touch. You can easily knock it over in operation. It doesn't feel "planted".

Because of this my preferred alternative to a Touch is actually an old o2 Joggler running the Squeezeplay OS acting as a controller for a Pi3 with HAT DAC. The Joggler is an excellent controller and is very sturdy in use. It is also quite a good player (but not 192 capable) when used with a USB DAC. The Pi3 + HAT DAC is of course capable of full HD hence why I use that instead.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I have a working Pi3 + Touchscreen in the official case out to a USB DAC. It works very nicely except that it isn't as sturdy as a Touch. You can easily knock it over in operation. It doesn't feel "planted".

Because of this my preferred alternative to a Touch is actually an old o2 Joggler running the Squeezeplay OS acting as a controller for a Pi3 with HAT DAC. The Joggler is an excellent controller and is very sturdy in use. It is also quite a good player (but not 192 capable) when used with a USB DAC. The Pi3 + HAT DAC is of course capable of full HD hence why I use that instead.
    It does look as if the Pi is the easiest solution and probablyb teh best, assuming the the Ethernet/USB solution doesn't degrade throughput or sound quality.

Have you tested this with DSD (native - ie not DoP)?

What is the maximum bitrate you can spit out through USB (assuming you are also feeding the unit from LMS over cabled ethernet)? Does it manage 384 kHz @ 32bit and /or DSD128 ?

BR.

--Marius--

Hardware is on its way!

Well,

I decided to go against the general consensus - I like a challenge .

In the end, I went for the Orange PI Plus2 e

which has a Gb ethernet chip as well as 3 independent USB ports (no onboard hub), a 4 core ARM 1.6MHz SoC and 2 GB of RAM.

I'm still waiting for the device so am still working through the theory of setting it up, but have a pretty good idea now of what is needed.

It's cheap, has plenty of processor and memory headroom and, most importantly, plenty of bandwidth on both USB and Ethernet.

The downside is that it's tricky to set up, but I have found a good help resource and should be able to set up a Linux 4.8 - 4.9 base system without too much difficulty.

I was intending to go for a RuneAudio build, to help add the OrangePi to their list of supported hardware but see no activity on Git for nearly a year. The forums, though active also seem devoid of any developer input, so I'm starting to doubt how live the project is.

An alternative to RuneAudio might be Max2Play (although I haven't found out what the recommended base distro is), but there are probably more.

I'd like:
    1. Touch-like interface and functionality
    2. Digital output rates over USB (minimum 24/192 PCM and DSD64 but preferably more)
    3. Based on an ARM distribution that I can use - ArchARM should work and I already downloaded the latest image and built and included a tailored 4.9 rc2 kernel with OrangePi +2 e patches, but other distros may be fine, if I can identify which to try.
    4. Documented kernel tweaks for best possible sound quality and bitrates over USB.
    5. I won't have access to other digital or analog outputs as I'll be using an external USB DAC, but can of course include software support for directly connected DAC or S/PDIF interfaces if anyone else is interested in a player based on the same board, with the extra modules.

Please can anyone recommend the best "SBT-Like" player to go for and a good base distro to go with it?

BR.

--Marius--

What’s Orange Pi Plus 2E?

It’s an open-source single-board computer. It can run Android 4.4 , Ubuntu, Debian, Rasberry Pi Image, it uses the AllWinner H3 SoC, and has 2GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Marius, according to the blurb you should be able to use any pi based distro.

Max2play or piCorePlayer would be my second choice, but one I mentioned earlier in the thread would be my preferred OS

http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl/

Following these instructions one can set up LMS and Squeezelite on the same board and use an auto start function for immediate playback when switching on the device.

The only snag is that a shutdown command needs to be sent prior to switch off, not a big problem as there are apps which allow this.

PiCoreplayer provides the same set up in RAM of course, but when I tried this I could never get the auto play function at switch on to work, so I gave up.

atb

Ronnie