Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4

    Dockstar Squeezeplug image

    Hi, new here I have a dockstar that I want to put squeezeplug. I have searched the net and all the guides lead to nothing properly working.
    Is it there an USB image for the dockstar? I have a pogoplug already working fine with vamp.

    Any help would be appreciated. BTW not much linux experience.
    Last edited by Quattr00; 2016-10-10 at 15:39.

  2. #2
    Senior Member RiccardoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattr00 View Post
    Hi, new here I have a dockstar that I want to put squeezeplug. I have searched the net and all the guides lead to nothing properly working.
    Is it there an USB image for the dockstar? I have a pogoplug already working fine with vamp.

    Any help would be appreciated. BTW not much linux experience.
    Hi, my opinion is to leave the Dockstar and use a Raspberry or Odroid. In the past I used many Dockstar for me and my friends but the speed is too low (the rescan take too much time, sometimes the Squeezebox players "freeze" because Dockstar is doing something else). Now I'm using an Odroid (with Max2Play) for years without problems but also the Raspberry is capable of good performances, miles away from Dockstar (and very very much simple to use because Your not so good experience with Linux).
    Riccardo
    1 SB v.1 (now unused), 1 SB Classic, broken :-(, 1 Duet, 3 Boom, some SOC (Odroid, RPi2, RpiZeroW) as player
    Logitech Media Server 7.9 on Odroid U3

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RiccardoR View Post
    Hi, my opinion is to leave the Dockstar and use a Raspberry or Odroid. In the past I used many Dockstar for me and my friends but the speed is too low (the rescan take too much time, sometimes the Squeezebox players "freeze" because Dockstar is doing something else). Now I'm using an Odroid (with Max2Play) for years without problems but also the Raspberry is capable of good performances, miles away from Dockstar (and very very much simple to use because Your not so good experience with Linux).
    Riccardo
    RiccardoR, thanks for replying. I mainly will use it as receiver since I have the server on a pogoplug. If I understand the receiver does not need much cpu power, correct me if I am wrong. The reason to use the dockstar is because I have it already. It is just that have not been able to get it running believe me I can follow guides but some assume that you have some knowledge of linux. I am ok connecting to it by ssh and writing commands but I don't know them by heart.

    Quattr00

  4. #4
    Senior Member RiccardoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattr00 View Post
    If I understand the receiver does not need much cpu power, correct me if I am wrong.

    Quattr00
    Exact. Dockstar is very very poor of cpu power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattr00 View Post
    The reason to use the dockstar is because I have it already.

    Quattr00
    I understand but I disagree. Today there are many other (cheap) alternatives that is unnecessary to use the Dockstar (I myself have three DockStar unused...)
    1 SB v.1 (now unused), 1 SB Classic, broken :-(, 1 Duet, 3 Boom, some SOC (Odroid, RPi2, RpiZeroW) as player
    Logitech Media Server 7.9 on Odroid U3

  5. #5
    Senior Member ralphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,794
    I still use the dockstar as a player, with the squeezeplug image. It works very well with my squeezelite armel binary.

    Unfortuately, I've made many updates that were never in the image and I no longer have the original image.

    If no one has the original image, I can make you one from mine.
    Ralphy

    1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I still use the dockstar as a player, with the squeezeplug image. It works very well with my squeezelite armel binary.

    Unfortuately, I've made many updates that were never in the image and I no longer have the original image.

    If no one has the original image, I can make you one from mine.
    ralphy, that would be great as I just want to have another player. If anyone has it I would like to have it otherwise I take your offer.

    Quattr00

  7. #7
    Senior Member ralphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattr00 View Post
    ralphy, that would be great as I just want to have another player. If anyone has it I would like to have it otherwise I take your offer.

    Quattr00
    My dockstar had way too much extra stuff installed to make an image, so I took the VAMP 0.4 image which was created from the squeezeplug 4.01 dockstar image, increased the version to 0.5, updated the debian squeeze install to 6.0.10, updated squeezelite to 1.8.5 and installed an init.d script for squeezelite.

    The kernel in the image supports the dockstar, sheevaplug, guruplug and pogoplug E02. The image requires a 4004 MB (4004511744 bytes) or larger USB stick and is available from mediafire.

    You can configure squeezelite by modifying the /etc/default/squeezelite config file and restart it with /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart

    I disabled the vamp gui in the image. To reenable, remove the comment in front of /opt/vamp/startup.sh in the /etc/network/if-up.d/vampstartup file.
    Ralphy

    1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My dockstar had way too much extra stuff installed to make an image, so I took the VAMP 0.4 image which was created from the squeezeplug 4.01 dockstar image, increased the version to 0.5, updated the debian squeeze install to 6.0.10, updated squeezelite to 1.8.5 and installed an init.d script for squeezelite.

    The kernel in the image supports the dockstar, sheevaplug, guruplug and pogoplug E02. The image requires a 4004 MB (4004511744 bytes) or larger USB stick and is available from mediafire.

    You can configure squeezelite by modifying the /etc/default/squeezelite config file and restart it with /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart

    I disabled the vamp gui in the image. To reenable, remove the comment in front of /opt/vamp/startup.sh in the /etc/network/if-up.d/vampstartup file.
    ralphy, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

    It works, I have played for weeks trying to get it working but due to my lack of linux knowledge I failed. I appreciate your work and hope someone else can benefit from it too.
    I am using it as a player only and it works perfectly.

    Thanks again.

    Quattr00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •