Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Best practice to extend life Controller battery?

Just looking for advice: leave controller on and in charging cradle?
    I only use it one or twice a day.
    or turn it off and leaving in charger?
    Or let battery run down with use and recharge? Etc?

ideas? Facts?
    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS running Windows 8/1 >Sonore microRendu>Mytek 192 DSD DAC>Schiit Freya Pre>Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) Stereo Amp; Devore Gibbon 9 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car;SB Boom and SB Touch in additional rooms.

My approach is to leave the controller in the charger at all times when not in use, and to wait until the battery life is getting low, then buy/fit a new battery.

The cost is less than buying a cheap coffee in Starbucks about once every 6 months... and that's assuming a battery lifetime of 2 years. Mine usually last more than 5 years.

Of course, my gameplan falls down when there are no more batteries in stock. Perhaps I should stock up with enough to last me the rest of my life? At my age, that's not too expensive, about 65 cups of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftie View Post
    My approach is to leave the controller in the charger at all times when not in use, and to wait until the battery life is getting low, then buy/fit a new battery.

The cost is less than buying a cheap coffee in Starbucks about once every 6 months... and that's assuming a battery lifetime of 2 years. Mine usually last more than 5 years.

Of course, my gameplan falls down when there are no more batteries in stock. Perhaps I should stock up with enough to last me the rest of my life? At my age, that's not too expensive, about 65 cups of coffee.
    I have two controllers in use. One for about 7 years and one for 5 years. Never replaced either battery. And like swiftie, when not directly using, they are sitting in charging cradle.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I'm much the same as GaryM. 2 controllers, 1 is 7 years old the other is 6. When not in use they sit in the charging cradle showing analog clock when idle or what's playing when something is playing on the player currently paired to. Never replaced either battery. Generally a controller is only out of the cradle long enough for the wife to make or change the music selection.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I'm much the same as GaryM. 2 controllers, 1 is 7 years old the other is 6. When not in use they sit in the charging cradle showing analog clock when idle or what's playing when something is playing on the player currently paired to. Never replaced either battery. Generally a controller is only out of the cradle long enough for the wife to make or change the music selection.
    and I have a 3rd new-in-box controller in a drawer. I don't use them a lot but this is the only way my wife interacts with the system (mostly choosing internet radio stations or episodes of podcasts).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I seem to recall there is also a screen wear-out issue (maybe the screen back-light?), so my controller screen turns off when idle and in the cradle (99% of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    I seem to recall there is also a screen wear-out issue (maybe the screen back-light?), so my controller screen turns off when idle and in the cradle (99% of the time).
    I have mine set the same way but I frequently notice that the controller back light has turned itself on and the only way to turn it off is to remove it from the cradle and replace it, the back light then turns off after a delay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk