Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    How about a list?
    Not easily modified to Synchronous operation:
    - Mamboberry

Easily modified to Synchronous operation:
    - Audiophonics

There will be others I'm unaware of..

I have kept quiet, mostly on the basis that if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all, hoping that the issues would resolve themselves. But I cannot keep quiet any longer.
    The simple fact is that Allo violate software licenses! Specifically they are and have been violating the GPL. Despite the "weasel words" about how they "try" to comply, the fact is that you either are, or you are not in compliance. They are not! I would ask people to consider carefully whether they wish to support businesses who are violating licenses by purchasing hardware from such a company.
    I would also ask people to carefully consider which software distributions they use and support. There are distributions flouting the GPL. (And no, I don't mean piCore.)

UPDATE.....

Allo have made the plus driver available from their rpi-piano github repo.

NB. Hopefully they will also add a repo where you can obtain the Texas Instruments DSP firmware for the 2.1/2 sub/active crossover functionality. Those files won't be under GPL, but should be under a license that is compatible with them being used by GPL'd code and also freely distributable without condition, other than they can only be used with a TI PCM5xxx series chip.
    Last edited by JackOfAll; 2016-12-02 at 11:04.

The firmware is there now in this repo.

I'm waiting for an update to the Piano DAC driver before I start building a kernel. The PCM5142 doesn't automatically switch to using a supplied external MCLK, the DAC's PLL will be used by default with the current driver.

Kinda negates the main reason for using Kali/Piano in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by badboygolf16v View Post
    Kinda negates the main reason for using Kali/Piano in the first place...
    How do you figure that? The Kali/Piano situation in "fake" master mode, fed with Kali SCK, without the Piano really being the master and driving the Pi with BCK and LRCK, is the worst of all worlds..... But as long as the audiophools are happy with their audiophool beliefs...... Cool!!!!!!!

Having the MCLK close to the DAC is accepted best practice, but that's not the point I was making. (FWIW I think it would be very difficult to hear the differences between either method anyway. Certainly with my ears, it would be a hard task.)

The point I was making was that someone who had bought a Kali/Piano combination would perhaps expect that the Kali clock would arrive unmolested to the DAC. If it's passing through the DAC's PLL then that might have an effect. (That effect might be good or bad, or non-existent!) It's the same reason that some people are thinking about running Sabre DACs in synchronous mode with Kali.
    Last edited by badboygolf16v; 2016-12-05 at 05:44.

Just bought a Kali and not too happy with it, I wish I found this thread before!
    So if one would want a good reclocker for I2S, what would you advise? Is the hifiberry digi+ pro a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAll View Post
    How do you figure that? The Kali/Piano situation in "fake" master mode, fed with Kali SCK, without the Piano really being the master and driving the Pi with BCK and LRCK, is the worst of all worlds..... But as long as the audiophools are happy with their audiophool beliefs...... Cool!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Linvincible; 2017-03-06 at 14:21.
    Syno 415+ with LMS 7.9 -> Picoreplayer 3.11 with Audio-GD I2S hdmi output -> PS Audio DirectStream -> Pass Labs XP20 -> Pass Labs XVR-1 -> 2 x Karan KA S 400 -> XTZ Divine 100.49 -> happiness

Don't underestimate the Kali. It is functionally comparable to Ian's FIFO reclocker. That should say a lot.

Keep in mind that there is a very respectable number of DAC chips out there that can not run in master mode, like all of the AK chips (AK4490, AK4495, AK4497, etc.) and the previous generation ESS DACs (9023, 9018, etc.).

Since you've already bought it, why not just try it?

thanks for the motivation speech, I am trying it and suffer from a small perk
    16 bit streams show alternating 16 bit and 24 bit recognition on the dac screen
    you can see it here

I can't hear any defect but I'm wondering what that dac does in the background to reconciliate this and how it can affect the sound!
    24 bit streams are fine, so are DoP.
    When I setup ALSA to output 24 or 32 bit only (24, 24_3, 32 settings) it's the same, and DoP doesn't work anymore (depending on the settings)

if I take the Kali out of the setup everything works fine

I am already in discussion with the Allo support, for the moment they point me to a ground loop inside the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
    Don't underestimate the Kali. It is functionally comparable to Ian's FIFO reclocker. That should say a lot.

Keep in mind that there is a very respectable number of DAC chips out there that can not run in master mode, like all of the AK chips (AK4490, AK4495, AK4497, etc.) and the previous generation ESS DACs (9023, 9018, etc.).

Since you've already bought it, why not just try it?
    Syno 415+ with LMS 7.9 -> Picoreplayer 3.11 with Audio-GD I2S hdmi output -> PS Audio DirectStream -> Pass Labs XP20 -> Pass Labs XVR-1 -> 2 x Karan KA S 400 -> XTZ Divine 100.49 -> happiness