Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Sonos server is essentially built into each unit. The files have to be served from somewhere locally, but that can be a NAS or some sort of drive attached to a router, etc. I assume this is the main reason that Sonos is not willing to update their software in any significant way (key issue for me would be the 65,000 track maximum). Doing so would effectively make all the old SONOS players unusable with newer units.

In today's world of micro computers the size of a pack of cigarettes that can run things like LMS, the need to have a "PC running" has become less and less of an issue.
    I made the switch to Sonos and I was pleased to see how easy it was to stream my local music. I basically pointed Sonos at my NAS share and shut down the LMS. Kind of sad but for our simple needs Sonos is working out great.

Quote Originally Posted by bobm View Post
    I made the switch to Sonos and I was pleased to see how easy it was to stream my local music. I basically pointed Sonos at my NAS share and shut down the LMS. Kind of sad but for our simple needs Sonos is working out great.
    I bought a SONOS Connect last year just to play with. It is simple to setup and use. (To me) there are many annoying things after being used to Squeezeboxes and controllers such as iPeng (the SONOS controllers are fairly rudimentary, but get the job done of course). But the main limitations for me are the inability to deal with the size of my music collection (> 65k), lack of certain nice apps related to playing BBC or BBC extras, podcasts subscriptions, etc. Not being able to play hi-res is not a huge deal, but I do have a dozen or so hi-res albums that I'd have to convert to be able to play on SONOS. All this said, certainly nothing wrong with SONOS. It's not anywhere close to the squeezebox ecosystem (for my use), but I can see why it is very popular.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Phillipe's bridges are of course excellent and open up a whole range of players to the Eco system but unfortunately they all have compromises IMHO. hi-res, gapless playback, sync etc
    The only non Logitech player that fulfills all the criteria to date seems to be a Pi with DAC. It's the only thing that could realistically be considered Audiofool compatible.
    I understand why people choose Sonos but it doesn't work the way I want my music players to do.
    Why Logitech, why?
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Phillipe's bridges are of course excellent and open up a whole range of players to the Eco system but unfortunately they all have compromises IMHO. hi-res, gapless playback, sync etc
    The only non Logitech player that fulfills all the criteria to date seems to be a Pi with DAC. It's the only thing that could realistically be considered Audiofool compatible.
    I understand why people choose Sonos but it doesn't work the way I want my music players to do.
    Why Logitech, why?
    I agree although Sonos as upnp devices are providing a really good solution (gapless, better res that AirPlay) except sync - I wish they want to release their sync, but they believe, right or wrong, that's this is their crown jewel. To me, at the risk of offending audiophiles, AirPlay was the best compromise and I put a lot of work to make this work. You have everything except hi-res. It's very transparent to LMS
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I have all 3 bridges Phillipe and yes the AirPlay one is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I bought a SONOS Connect last year just to play with. It is simple to setup and use. (To me) there are many annoying things after being used to Squeezeboxes and controllers such as iPeng (the SONOS controllers are fairly rudimentary, but get the job done of course). But the main limitations for me are the inability to deal with the size of my music collection (> 65k), lack of certain nice apps related to playing BBC or BBC extras, podcasts subscriptions, etc. Not being able to play hi-res is not a huge deal, but I do have a dozen or so hi-res albums that I'd have to convert to be able to play on SONOS. All this said, certainly nothing wrong with SONOS. It's not anywhere close to the squeezebox ecosystem (for my use), but I can see why it is very popular.
    I felt I overpaid for Sonos Connect. IT is easy to setup but does have the limitation you mention above. It seems Sonos is not catering to the Audiophile folks. People having been requesting on their forum about hi-res and >65K tracks for many years but yet the Connect does not get updated. For me it works fine so I am happy but I can see why heavy users such as yourself need to look elsewhere. I wonder if Bluesound will become a good alternative at some point?

Chromecast Audio on sale for $25

I posted this elsewhere, but relevant here too:

Google Store is selling Chromecast Audio for $25 ($10 off $35 price). Also at Best Buy. If you've been wanting to play with one, this might be the time to pick one or two up.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

OK, it's completely without LMS, but here's one guy's experience with Chromecast Audios:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/using-...ernative-sonos
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Quote Originally Posted by wortgefecht View Post
    OK, it's completely without LMS, but here's one guy's experience with Chromecast Audios:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/using-...ernative-sonos
    nice Article, this looks like a cool way to hook up your chromecast if you want a neat solution equal to a Play1 from Sonos.

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital...mecast+speaker

Quote Originally Posted by rkrug View Post
    RSJ <RSJ.7moexb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> I switched to Raspberry Pi using Max2play and Hifiberry amps and have
    > never looked back. They integrated into my existing Squeezeboxes
    > flawlessly and I can sync everything, play anything on my NAS and stream
    > Spotify to all of them. I'll be slowly phasing out the older
    > Squeezeboxes because I can get so much more functionality out of the
    > Raspberry Pi setup with things like Jivelite that allows control through
    > touchscreens and HDTVs,

What do you mean by HDTVs? Jivelite display only?

> being able to embed the player into a multitude
    > of devices and locations and combining it with Sure amps makes the
    > Raspberry Pi setup simply the best in my opinion.
    >
    > Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    >
    >
    >
    > Using Tapatalk
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > RSJ's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=62552
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106107
    >
    >

This is my HDTV, I have a Raspberry Pi plugged into my receiver and I use a mini USB keyboard to control it. I can control the music, start a slide show of my photos while listening to music or switch to Kodi and watch a movie. You just can't do this with the Logitech Squeezebox Receivers that I've been using.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk