Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ad6922 View Post
    I was going on the same path last year to look for alternatives for squeezebox as the LMS-software on my QNAP nas had security breaches.

In the end I went for a rpi2 with max2play.com. As it is a rather cheap alternative I wanted to give it a try.

By now, it's not a try anymore, but it's here to stay.

It's simple in daily use and I got the airplay option as an extra. As the spotify app have been changed in the last year as well there is no need to change
    to a different platform. It does everything that I want it to do.
    Ditto.
    What I want from my system is to play music from my NAS, my favourite radio stations, BBC iPlayer Radio and Spotify. While my squeezeboxes continue to do those things then I have no reason to change. The iPlayer Radio app has been a bit of a struggle recently, but I still have it working (thanks to "bpa" on this forum). However, Michael Herger's recent improvements to the official Spotify app make it even less likely I will want to change.

The sound quality is up to the player you use and most player hardware will output a digital stream if you want to use an external DAC.

If I were forced to move to another system it would probably be Chromecast as so many streaming phone apps support it now.

Sonos is convenient for those who want "all in one" active speaker options, but otherwise offers nothing more than you can get with SqueezeBox for a fraction of the price (if you are of a geeky / DIY persuasion). The requirement for a server is a bit of a pain with SB, and in my opinion the main reason it lost out to Sonos. The open software LMS server is both the Squeezeboxes main advantage, as it allows plugins to extend the capabilities of the system, and downfall - most people don't want to have to either turn on a PC to play their music, or have the inclination and expertise to install LMS on a NAS or other server to run 24/7.
    Last edited by TheLastMan; 2016-09-25 at 16:03.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    The requirement for a server is a bit of a pain with SB, and in my opinion the main reason it lost out to Sonos. The open software LMS server is both the Squeezeboxes main advantage, as it allows plugins to extend the capabilities of the system, and downfall - most people don't want to have to either turn on a PC to play their music, or have the inclination and expertise to install LMS on a NAS or other server to run 24/7.
    Where is your local music coming from if not from a server?
    That server might be your pc or a nas but it needs to be available somewhere.

Streaming services may remove the need for local files. Many uses have abandoned their local files.
    But if you do desire local files a "server" already exists or you have some horrible duplication of all files to all machines?

Squeezable touch supports/supported a duplication of your files and to be connected direct to its usb port.
    But if you are doing that, you are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bits View Post
    Where is your local music coming from if not from a server?
    That server might be your pc or a nas but it needs to be available somewhere.

Streaming services may remove the need for local files. Many uses have abandoned their local files.
    But if you do desire local files a "server" already exists or you have some horrible duplication of all files to all machines?

Squeezable touch supports/supported a duplication of your files and to be connected direct to its usb port.
    But if you are doing that, you are doing it wrong.
    Sonos server is essentially built into each unit. The files have to be served from somewhere locally, but that can be a NAS or some sort of drive attached to a router, etc. I assume this is the main reason that Sonos is not willing to update their software in any significant way (key issue for me would be the 65,000 track maximum). Doing so would effectively make all the old SONOS players unusable with newer units.

In today's world of micro computers the size of a pack of cigarettes that can run things like LMS, the need to have a "PC running" has become less and less of an issue.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Sonos server is essentially built into each unit. The files have to be served from somewhere locally, but that can be a NAS or some sort of drive attached to a router, etc. I assume this is the main reason that Sonos is not willing to update their software in any significant way (key issue for me would be the 65,000 track maximum). Doing so would effectively make all the old SONOS players unusable with newer units.

In today's world of micro computers the size of a pack of cigarettes that can run things like LMS, the need to have a "PC running" has become less and less of an issue.
    With Sonos you can play music files from any networked device. I have a friend who has his music on a USB hard drive plugged into his router. It is also quite impressive that if you have the app installed on your phone it will play music from that as well.

In general it is a lot easier to set up and run than Squeezebox, but you pay for the privilege, and it is a lot less flexible. The Sonos controller app for the iPhone is very neat.

However Sonos is simply too expensive to be a mass market product and will remain niche. Chromecast and similar products are the future.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post

Yet another option on the horizon, more box of cigars than fag packet though

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tegory_popular

atb

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Yet another option on the horizon, more box of cigars than fag packet though

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tegory_popular

atb

Ronnie
    Appealing design? Not in my eyes .... I'm afraid.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    With Sonos you can play music files from any networked device. I have a friend who has his music on a USB hard drive plugged into his router. It is also quite impressive that if you have the app installed on your phone it will play music from that as well.

In general it is a lot easier to set up and run than Squeezebox, but you pay for the privilege, and it is a lot less flexible. The Sonos controller app for the iPhone is very neat.

However Sonos is simply too expensive to be a mass market product and will remain niche. Chromecast and similar products are the future.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    The bridge plugins option for LMS is the way to go - then you can virtually use any Airplay, DLNA speakers as squeezebox players (as well as using the speakers' own systems). Chromecast bridge does the same but you still need a powered speaker for the CCast.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I switched to Raspberry Pi using Max2play and Hifiberry amps and have never looked back. They integrated into my existing Squeezeboxes flawlessly and I can sync everything, play anything on my NAS and stream Spotify to all of them. I'll be slowly phasing out the older Squeezeboxes because I can get so much more functionality out of the Raspberry Pi setup with things like Jivelite that allows control through touchscreens and HDTVs, being able to embed the player into a multitude of devices and locations and combining it with Sure amps makes the Raspberry Pi setup simply the best in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Questions on alternatives to SB

RSJ <RSJ.7moexb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> I switched to Raspberry Pi using Max2play and Hifiberry amps and have
    > never looked back. They integrated into my existing Squeezeboxes
    > flawlessly and I can sync everything, play anything on my NAS and stream
    > Spotify to all of them. I'll be slowly phasing out the older
    > Squeezeboxes because I can get so much more functionality out of the
    > Raspberry Pi setup with things like Jivelite that allows control through
    > touchscreens and HDTVs,

What do you mean by HDTVs? Jivelite display only?

> being able to embed the player into a multitude
    > of devices and locations and combining it with Sure amps makes the
    > Raspberry Pi setup simply the best in my opinion.
    >
    > Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    >
    >
    >
    > Using Tapatalk
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > RSJ's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=62552
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106107
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Doesn't look very promising. Only three actual items ordered (pledged) and those are the least expensive of the offered items. They have one week to fulfill more than 97% of their target goal of $22k.