Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Questions on alternatives to SB

Hi all,

I have been looking at alternatives to SB. I am confused about how the Sonos and Airplay work as compared to SB.
    1) Sonos states it can read my flac library from files stored on a NAS or local PC. Does that require me loading server software on my PC similar to the LMS or is all the work done by the Speaker and its simply reading the file from the network share?
    2) I see that Airplay works with ITunes, but if I initiate playing a song from my phone to an Airplay speaker, does the phone have to remain on for the song to continue to play? What if I am using an online service like Pandora, can I start the stream and walk away with my phone and the music will continue to play?
    Thanks Bob

1) Sonos doesn't require a server software (that's built I to every device) but the browsing is more basic than for the SB.

2) the phone handles all of the stream (the music is transmitted from the phone to the AirPlay device) so it needs to be always on, must not use other audio (no Facebook with movie autoplay or websites with audio while listening to music etc.) and you must not walk away.

Why don't you just build your own Squeezebox with a Raspberry pi and a soundcard (e.g. Hifiberry). It's really simple these days because you can even buy pre-configured SW images and it works pretty well, you can even run the server on the device.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I will look into the pi options, have a good link that explains the process?

>the phone handles all of the stream (the music is transmitted from the phone to the AirPlay device) so it needs to be always on, must not use other audio (no Facebook with movie autoplay or websites with audio while listening to music etc.) and you must not walk away.<
    Although easy to use, that seems like a big disadvantage to me. I would really want my phone to just be a remote control.

thanks for your help

Chromecast audio is also an option as it doesn't require the phone once you've 'casted' the audio.

I have pis with HiFiBerry amps and a few chromecast audios and they work great.

Look at www.max2play.com for guides on setting up the pi

Quote Originally Posted by Giza2020 View Post
    Chromecast audio is also an option as it doesn't require the phone once you've 'casted' the audio.

I have pis with HiFiBerry amps and a few chromecast audios and they work great.
    I will look up chromecast and see how that works. I assumed that required the device to stream to it. Thanks Bob

You might want to consider Roon if...

a) you already have one or more Squeezeboxes (Roon will work with them)
    b) you don't mind spending a bit of money (Roon has an annual subscription fee or you can buy a lifetime license)
    c) you want a far better UI than LMS provides

It was difficult for me to leave LMS behind, but I've been using Roon ever since they started supporting Squeezebox endpoints and have really come to love it. IMO, it's what LMS should/could have become had Logitech not dumped it.

So why am I still here in the Squeezebox forums? Well, my kids and a few stingy friends who don't want to pay for Roon are still using LMS (often with my help). Combined with iPeng (and rPIs if you don't have a Squeezebox), I think LMS is still the best cheap/free solution available.
    Mike (1 SB3, 1 Duet, 1 Boom, 2 Touch, 1 SB Radio)

Quote Originally Posted by bobm View Post
    I will look up chromecast and see how that works. I assumed that required the device to stream to it. Thanks Bob
    The chromecast needs a cast device such as a phone, itouch or laptop but one you send the request the device is no longer needed unless you want to send something else or adjust volume etc.

There is a cast bridge that's been created by Phillipe in the 3rd party forum which turns the chromecast device into a squeeze device which really makes it a versatile device.

This also means you can use the logitech controller to control it as the chromecast essentially is another squeeze device.

Hope that helps?

It's good to know Roon is out there should LMS no longer have community support, but $499 is steep. Particularly if it closes up shop like SB did (as a commercial venture, at least).

I've been very happy with my 2 Pi's. I'm not technically gifted, and I had little problem setting mine up. I'll likely step up and purchase a display at some point, although the one remaining "real" SB in my system is a Touch and I don't have a real need at the moment for another display.
    2-SB3s, 1-Touch, and a Raspberry Pi B+ with TekDevice dacBerry 3+ running piCorePlayer. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Yosemite). Direct Ethernet connection (1-SB3 and the Raspberry Pi) and power-line (1-SB3 and Touch). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.8.1

I was going on the same path last year to look for alternatives for squeezebox as the LMS-software on my QNAP nas had security breaches.

In the end I went for a rpi2 with max2play.com. As it is a rather cheap alternative I wanted to give it a try.

By now, it's not a try anymore, but it's here to stay.

It's simple in daily use and I got the airplay option as an extra. As the spotify app have been changed in the last year as well there is no need to change
    to a different platform. It does everything that I want it to do.