Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

RPi - LMS/Squeezelite output to Bluetooth?

Greetings,

I've just purchased an RPi 3 to use as a media centre at our trailer. I have OSMC/Kodi working fine, as well as LMS, using iPeng on my iPhone and iPad as players.

What I'm hoping to do is remove the iPhone/iPad from the loop, and have Squeezelite send output via Bluetooth directly to my UE Boom speaker. I can still use iPeng to control, or the web interface, but I wouldn't need to have the iphone/iPad in the audio loop.

Is this possible? For bonus points, I've heard the audio output on the rPi isn't great, and there are lots of suggestions about using a separate DAC/audio board. Would sending output to bluetooth resolve that issue?

Would it impact the audio output on OSMC/Kodi which currently uses HDMI? In other words, any idea if the rPi can send two different media streams out on different interfaces simultaneously?

I figured I'd ask here before trying Kodi or rPi forums, as the issue is really about setting squeezelite output to use Bluetooth on the rPi and you folks are the LMS/squeezelite experts.

Thanks for any input / feedback you can provide!
    Brawny

Quote Originally Posted by brawny View Post
    Greetings,

I've just purchased an RPi 3 to use as a media centre at our trailer. I have OSMC/Kodi working fine, as well as LMS, using iPeng on my iPhone and iPad as players.

What I'm hoping to do is remove the iPhone/iPad from the loop, and have Squeezelite send output via Bluetooth directly to my UE Boom speaker. I can still use iPeng to control, or the web interface, but I wouldn't need to have the iphone/iPad in the audio loop.

Is this possible? For bonus points, I've heard the audio output on the rPi isn't great, and there are lots of suggestions about using a separate DAC/audio board. Would sending output to bluetooth resolve that issue?

Would it impact the audio output on OSMC/Kodi which currently uses HDMI? In other words, any idea if the rPi can send two different media streams out on different interfaces simultaneously?

I figured I'd ask here before trying Kodi or rPi forums, as the issue is really about setting squeezelite output to use Bluetooth on the rPi and you folks are the LMS/squeezelite experts.

Thanks for any input / feedback you can provide!
    Brawny
    I'd give up before you start! It will drive you mad trying to get BT output. I had it working (just) a year or so ago -
    hours of endless programming for little useful effect.

Max2Play has bt output as a beta feature - have a look at that.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, BT audio isn't that much better compared to the audio output of the RPi.

Concerning the player functionality: isn't there a local player plugin? Or something similar.

If that works, I'd suggest you use that together with the audio out via HDMI.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6 mit Tapatalk
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Plenty of low-cost BT transmitters available on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...th+transmitter

Is this possible?
    Yes. Kodi supposedly already can send audio via bluetooth on OSMC, so the basic setup should be in place. Since Squeezelite uses ALSA, you'll need to configure ALSA to send audio to PulseAudio, which can then send it via bluetooth. Squeezelite will need to use the PulseAudio ALSA device.

For bonus points, I've heard the audio output on the rPi isn't great, and there are lots of suggestions about using a separate DAC/audio board. Would sending output to bluetooth resolve that issue?
    It won't use the RPi audio hardware.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Yes. Kodi supposedly already can send audio via bluetooth on OSMC, so the basic setup should be in place. Since Squeezelite uses ALSA, you'll need to configure ALSA to send audio to PulseAudio, which can then send it via bluetooth. Squeezelite will need to use the PulseAudio ALSA device.
    Cool! So - I need to configure ALSA to send audio to PulseAudio, then to Bluetooth, and OSMC will continue to work as it does now, with output to hdmi. Thanks for confirming this is do-able. Looks like I've got some googling to do!

Brawny