Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS in car - Usability issues - Eco mode automatic start/stop

Now the software side of my usability issues has been solved withe the combination of Squeeze CTRL and SB Player, over to the hardware part, which is an even bigger issue. As many modern European cars, mine is equipped with an automatic start/stop function of the engine when standing still. Unfortunately the restart of the engine causes a small power dropout, which in turn causes the BananaPi not only to reboot, but also to lose the running playlist.
    I tried putting a powerbank with a 2A outlet in between the power outlet of the car and the BananaPi but this doesn't help ...
    Any ideas?
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Car: BananaPi LMS + Squeezeplayer on Android phone - Controller TBD ...

Are you sure it's a power outage and not a spike? I'd try to use some kind of filter in the power line, there are such things especially for cars because all kind of equipment has that problem.

Please also check that you are using the correct power lines
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I would visit some car audio forum , they probably solved similar problems , filter , some extra capacitor bank or some such ,extra battery on its own circuit somehow . I'm sure the car audio builders have faced many similar problems.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I'm not 100℅ certain it's a power outage, but the charge indicator of my phone also blinks off and on during the restart.
    Concerning the power lines: I'm using a 12V to USB adapter for the cigarette lighter, no errors possible
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H

Previously I used a Wandboard in my car. It was equipped with a handful of parts, used two GPIO pins and a bash script to handle the power supply to the WB. I used a continious powered connection and a second one that was controlled by the car (switches off when you leave the car). The WB would stay powered for about 4 hours starting from the point where I left the car. Basically I had a 4 hours timer running on the WB that would get reset when power supply was sensed on one of the GPIO pins (the car controlled power line). If the timer would expire after 4 hours (without a reset) it would then shutdown the WB.
    I have never experienced any dropouts due to engine start and I had nothing special fitted between the power supply lines. I only had a custom built 12 volts to 5 volts converter to supply the WB with 5 volts. Maybe you need to find another power source? Some modern cars have control circuitry on various power outlets in the car.
    Or maybe you have a car battery who is slowly dying?
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Some modern cars have control circuitry on various power outlets in the car.
    Or maybe you have a car battery who is slowly dying?
    I think it's probably some kind of control circuitry. I have a 12V DC to 220V AC converter, and connected to that same outlet it also stops output after the car goes through the automatic stop-start cycle. It's been doing that since the car was brand new (2,5 years ago) ... As it's a company car I'm not all too keen on putting in additional wiring
    This whole thing is currently just a proof of concept, by the end of next month I'll receive a new car, thankfully no longer a Renault, but I'm not all that certain Peugeot will be better

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    I think it's probably some kind of control circuitry. I have a 12V DC to 220V AC converter, and connected to that same outlet it also stops output after the car goes through the automatic stop-start cycle. It's been doing that since the car was brand new (2,5 years ago) ... As it's a company car I'm not all too keen on putting in additional wiring
    This whole thing is currently just a proof of concept, by the end of next month I'll receive a new car, thankfully no longer a Renault, but I'm not all that certain Peugeot will be better
    I had my Wandboard in the back of my car. There I had access to the two power supplies I needed (a fixed one and a controlled one). No additional wiring was necessary.
    Since a while, the WB is replaced with a BananaPI but I don't use the controlled power at the moment. The BananaPI just shuts off when I leave the car. I miss the setup I had with the power management on the WB though...

Personally I hate French cars. They just suck. The only brand I would consider buying is Peugeot. They seem to make decent cars (judging by the cars a few friends have).
    Don't you hava a say in what car you drive?
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I had my Wandboard in the back of my car. There I had access to the two power supplies I needed (a fixed one and a controlled one). No additional wiring was necessary.
    Since a while, the WB is replaced with a BananaPI but I don't use the controlled power at the moment. The BananaPI just shuts off when I leave the car. I miss the setup I had with the power management on the WB though...

Personally I hate French cars. They just suck. The only brand I would consider buying is Peugeot. They seem to make decent cars (judging by the cars a few friends have).
    Don't you hava a say in what car you drive?
    I guess you drive BMW then, having access to power in the rear
    I do have a say, we can choose from a list, there are Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Volkswagen and BMW models on there for each hierarchical level. A BMW 116d, equipped to the same level as the Peugeot I now chose would augment my personal contribution by ▒50% and still leave me with not enough space to use it in my personal life which, as a fellow Belgian you know, is why I have to pay the contribution in the first place ... A Golf would cost about the same as the BMW, so I chose the lesser evil.