Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Converting Opus Streams?

Hi All

I've just been reading about the Opus codec (https://www.opus-codec.org/), mainly because the Absolute Radio FLAC streams are increasingly unreliable, and falling back to MP3 or even AAC+ is noticeably lower audio quality.

How would I go about transcoding from Opus to FLAC (or PCM/WAV) so I can stream to my SqueezeBox devices (Boom, SB3, Touch, Reciever and CorePiPlayer)?

Their FAQ says that FFmpeg (among others) supports it - so first step might be to verify that FFmpeg can play the stream and then look into havinf LMS launch it when it sees that audio type - like the PlayHLS plug-in does/did.

https://wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    If the OP wants to play streams - they will have to do more than just use opusdec whic is necessary for the codec but not enough to handle the transport. I look at a few stream and they seem to use mime type application/ogg which is already used by ogg/vorbis so the op will have to either ditch ogg/vorbis or implement some new functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    If the OP wants to play streams - they will have to do more than just use opusdec whic is necessary for the codec but not enough to handle the transport. I look at a few stream and they seem to use mime type application/ogg which is already used by ogg/vorbis so the op will have to either ditch ogg/vorbis or implement some new functionality.
    Ouch, yes, you are right. I guess opus is formally "audio/ogg; codecs=opus".
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953