Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

What Should I Do With My Brand New Touch?

Hi guys, been years since I been here, signed up several years ago when I bought a Squeezebox Touch. I still have it and it's never been opened. Now I'm wondering if I should take the plunge or sell it.

I have a new Onkyo TX-8160 receiver and although I haven't set it up to stream music of a computer or NAS yet, it does have the capability of streaming via DLNA over WiFi. So this might be a dumb question but if my Onkyo receiver can do this, what's the reason or advantage of having a SB Touch stream the music files instead?

I originally bought the Touch with full intent on getting a music library up and running but things happened and health problems put it on the back burner and it never came to fruition. I'm now again interested in doing so because of my new TX-8160 having this capability. But I'm just wondering at this stage if maybe I should put it for sale on eBay and look to go a different route.

I guess I'm just a little apprehensive about doing all the work to get LMS and the Touch up and running only to find in the not-to-distant future that its no longer being supported. But if this is unlikely and there's solid advantages to running a SB (which there must be because so many seem to love it) I'd like to hear about it.

By the way, I'd like to mention I already have some equipment to run LMS and store music files: a new Dell PowerEdge T20 server w/Xeon E3-1225 v3 CPU w/16 GB RAM, along with a couple 4TB NAS hard-drives. Like the Touch, this stuff is just sitting in my closet. Another project that never came to fruition. So if someone wants to give me a nudge down the squeezebox path... Well I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
    Last edited by RetRoe; 2016-08-28 at 03:59.

DLNA is very limited, LMS is very robust and customizable. Even if support ended for LMS you would have exactly what you have now. The only aspect that might be affected by support ending would be no access to internet services like Pandora or Spotify, but even these have potential workarounds (if you even want such services).