Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

ReplayGain tag not used when playing music outside of library

Hi,

Today i discovered some rather odd behaviour.

I have two library folders, one where i scan the media files and add them to my library and a second one as a kind of "inbox" where new stuff lies, which doesnt get scanned but so i can easily access and play it using the "music folders" menu found in 7.9 versions of LMS.

Because some of the music was rather loud, i added ReplayGain tags using foobar, just to see that it doesnt change anything when played back in LMS.

Adding tags to music in my library shows the volume adjustment info and is noticeably less loud.

Is this suspected behaviour? Shouldn't LMS respect ReplayGain info even in media files not added to the library?

I'm on 1461319207, so maybe there is some commit missing where this is resolved.

Maybe SBS reads from its own database of tags which is updated when you rescan/add to the library.

If you don't add to the library, and if SBS only uses the library as the source of the ReplayGain values, maybe that won't work.

(Sorry: speculation).

Thats not the case. I had tracks scanned to my library where i added the ReplayGain data and played the tracks without a rescan. So LMS/SBS had to read the tags from the files at playback time. And it used them.

I am thinking of opening an issue for this on slimserver github since i am pretty sure that this is not intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarusx3 View Post
    Thats not the case. I had tracks scanned to my library where i added the ReplayGain data and played the tracks without a rescan. So LMS/SBS had to read the tags from the files at playback time. And it used them.

Hmm, I rather think that any files added to the folder that LMS scans, and you play them, the tags are automatically added to the database, with no need for a "new & changed" or "clear & rescan".

Playing a file from any other folder is different, and is intentional.
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Hmm, I rather think that any files added to the folder that LMS scans, and you play them, the tags are automatically added to the database, with no need for a "new & changed" or "clear & rescan".

Playing a file from any other folder is different, and is intentional.
    Exactly, and if you queue up an album to play and you fire up a "clear & rescan" you will hear a volume change a few seconds into the scan as the database has been cleared and the album is being played "directly".
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists