Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Remote display and buttons

Hi,
    I'm building a computer case in an old VCR for my living room. I won't use the screen of the case for the computer, but I would like to use the space to display info from a squeezlite running on a eeepc hidden away. Idealy, I would like to use some of the originals buttons on the VCR to command the squeezelite as well.
    Has anyone ever seen something like this? I'm not really sure how to accomplish this (RasPI? Arduino maybe?).
    This is right beyond my current skills, so I hope someone can put me on the right track so that I don't lose my mind

Thanks

Hi,

hard to tell..
    You want "only" the switches or the complete board with the switches?

What exactly do you want to build ?
    Ive build some pcs in some cd players in the 90s and just used a keyboard and re build a (cable based ) circular board to to std. case switches.

The timeconsuming thing i remember was to find the matching codes on the keyboard controller eg. when press [A] and so on.
    But in fact it was simple - and today you can use many more options.

A Ardunino is imho overkill.

Hi,
    The buttons are the easy part, what they interface with and how to connect it to the player is the question

I want "something" that can mimic the display of a slimp3 or squeezebox. I don't need advanced graphics, just text. And I want to be able to control the player's basic functions from buttons (as on the boom). I only need a few buttons, power on, play, up, right, back (I can even do without up lol).

The more I think about it, the more the Raspberry Pi seems the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by damston View Post
    The more I think about it, the more the Raspberry Pi seems the way to go.
    yapp - cause its powerful enough has plenty of general purpose IO connectors and its "cheap".

This alone costs the same as a rpi.

Quote Originally Posted by damston View Post
    The buttons are the easy part, what they interface with and how to connect it to the player is the question
    usb? gpio (if rpi) as i written above already a simple cheap keyboard circuit with its controller is really easy.
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2016-07-30 at 05:56.