Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Remote Streaming - worth it?

Early on, when I first setup my household LMS system, I set up remote streaming just to see it work.
    I was able to get it to work. I used my laptop at the local sandwich shop as validation.
    This was before smart phones and tablets.
    I'm going to try and set it up again. This time will be to stream to my phone in the car and my tablet at various locations.
    Pandora and iHeart is pretty good. But it's not the same as having my music collection available.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. so...

I'm curious about user experiences, good and bad, streaming their LMS to the car and beyond.

Thank you,

Randy
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5 - 1416570306
    Platform: i686-linux
    Perl Version: 5.14.2 - i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 4

Squeezebox3:
    Firmware: 137

Duet: (2 receivers, 1 controller)
    Firmware: 77

Boom
    Firmware: 57
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

get yourself some rpi, a big usb stick/ssd drive and install a backup/own purpose system for your car.
    Opening your home LAN to NAT without any vpn client is
    If you add two wifi sticks you could run one as your AP for the phones and the other for your home LAN.

You could do something like
    Code:
    iwconfig|grep "yourhomeESSID" && (
             rysnc source dest 
             sudo squeezeboxserver-scanner --rescan --novideo --noimage
             )
    to backup/update your car library and do a rescan

Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    Early on, when I first setup my household LMS system, I set up remote streaming just to see it work.
    I was able to get it to work. I used my laptop at the local sandwich shop as validation.
    This was before smart phones and tablets.
    I'm going to try and set it up again. This time will be to stream to my phone in the car and my tablet at various locations.
    Pandora and iHeart is pretty good. But it's not the same as having my music collection available.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. so...

I'm curious about user experiences, good and bad, streaming their LMS to the car and beyond.

Thank you,

Randy
    Using iPeng on my iPhone and a VPN I regularly listen to my LMS when travelling. You do need a VPN for security and this does then mean that you need a stable connection so in reality it isn't when I am on the move it's when I am in an hotel or an airport lounge etc. 4G in the car does work but drops if you hit a 3G area. It will to an extent depend on the upstream speed of your home internet connection.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I have looked into the option of remote streaming but soon came to the conclusion it isn't a very good option. Most "issues" have been mentioned by other members above. So I decided to use a dedicated system that is small and portable. I use it in my car and when travelling. It's a BPI but an RPI would work just as good. I call it CarSqueeze and it is build into a small housing that usually resides in the case under the arm rest in my car. It is fitted with a 1 TB SSD drive that holds a copy of my digital music. From time to time I bring it inside the house, connect it to the network and run SyncBack to copy more music on it. The BPI runs aphost so that I can connect to it with my iPhone to remote control it with iPeng.
    Works great.

Name:  2016-07-16 17.34.16.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  51.7 KB

The enclosure measures only 103 mm x 31 mm x 148 mm.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon