Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remote Streaming - worth it?

Early on, when I first setup my household LMS system, I set up remote streaming just to see it work.
    I was able to get it to work. I used my laptop at the local sandwich shop as validation.
    This was before smart phones and tablets.
    I'm going to try and set it up again. This time will be to stream to my phone in the car and my tablet at various locations.
    Pandora and iHeart is pretty good. But it's not the same as having my music collection available.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. so...

I'm curious about user experiences, good and bad, streaming their LMS to the car and beyond.

Thank you,

Randy
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1498799744 @ Fri Jun 30 05:45:05 UTC 2017
    Platform: i686-linux
    Perl Version: 5.24.1 - i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 4

Squeezebox3:
    Firmware: 137

Duet: (2 receivers, 1 controller)
    Firmware: 77

Boom
    Firmware: 57

Hi,

get yourself some rpi, a big usb stick/ssd drive and install a backup/own purpose system for your car.
    Opening your home LAN to NAT without any vpn client is
    If you add two wifi sticks you could run one as your AP for the phones and the other for your home LAN.

You could do something like
    Code:
    iwconfig|grep "yourhomeESSID" && (
             rysnc source dest 
             sudo squeezeboxserver-scanner --rescan --novideo --noimage
             )
    to backup/update your car library and do a rescan

Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    Early on, when I first setup my household LMS system, I set up remote streaming just to see it work.
    I was able to get it to work. I used my laptop at the local sandwich shop as validation.
    This was before smart phones and tablets.
    I'm going to try and set it up again. This time will be to stream to my phone in the car and my tablet at various locations.
    Pandora and iHeart is pretty good. But it's not the same as having my music collection available.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. so...

I'm curious about user experiences, good and bad, streaming their LMS to the car and beyond.

Thank you,

Randy
    Using iPeng on my iPhone and a VPN I regularly listen to my LMS when travelling. You do need a VPN for security and this does then mean that you need a stable connection so in reality it isn't when I am on the move it's when I am in an hotel or an airport lounge etc. 4G in the car does work but drops if you hit a 3G area. It will to an extent depend on the upstream speed of your home internet connection.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

I have looked into the option of remote streaming but soon came to the conclusion it isn't a very good option. Most "issues" have been mentioned by other members above. So I decided to use a dedicated system that is small and portable. I use it in my car and when travelling. It's a BPI but an RPI would work just as good. I call it CarSqueeze and it is build into a small housing that usually resides in the case under the arm rest in my car. It is fitted with a 1 TB SSD drive that holds a copy of my digital music. From time to time I bring it inside the house, connect it to the network and run SyncBack to copy more music on it. The BPI runs aphost so that I can connect to it with my iPhone to remote control it with iPeng.
    Works great.

Name:  2016-07-16 17.34.16.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  51.7 KB

The enclosure measures only 103 mm x 31 mm x 148 mm.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Get yourself some rpi, a big usb stick/ssd drive and install a backup/own purpose system for your car.
    Opening your home LAN to NAT without any vpn client is
    +10
    I have been running my Music Library in both my main vehicles for years. The Touch is easiest as it has built-in mini LMS so all you have to do is have a way to connect the Touch audio out to your car stereo and have an AC inverter or create a premanent DC connection for the Touch for power. I run a large self-powered USB drive with the Touch in my Expedition. In the Thunderbird, I am running a Mac Mini in the trunk using an inverter and it also powers the Duet. I use the Mac to run LMS and store the music. I am going to replace the Mac Mini with my first Raspberry Pi project so I can run a much larger storage drive.

Depending on ones music collection size, some people can have ALL there music with them in the car and not have to worry about a wireless connection nor setting up a safe and secure VPN connection. No buffering when the collection is actually with you!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

How to power a Pi in an automobile?

I have a rpi. It runs m2p. I had a pair of A2 speakers not doing anything. I converted my flac library to mp3 in order to get my entire collection on a usb stick. The wireless works great and I can control it with my phone. I take it places and it works great. I all fits into a box for easy transport.

My next step was to use it in the car. Especially for long trips. Of course the speakers won't be needed.

How to power the pi is the question. I've read of people powering them using a simple usb charger(2.1amp).This would be a problem in my car because the 12V ports shut off with the car. The ports in the wife's SUV are always on. Some claim to run them using a high capacity power bank.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1498799744 @ Fri Jun 30 05:45:05 UTC 2017
    Platform: i686-linux
    Perl Version: 5.24.1 - i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 4

Squeezebox3:
    Firmware: 137

Duet: (2 receivers, 1 controller)
    Firmware: 77

Boom
    Firmware: 57

Take a look @ something like this: http://www.piups.net/

In the event of power failure the Pi UPS + can either shut down your device properly

Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    I have a rpi. It runs m2p. I had a pair of A2 speakers not doing anything. I converted my flac library to mp3 in order to get my entire collection on a usb stick. The wireless works great and I can control it with my phone. I take it places and it works great. I all fits into a box for easy transport.

My next step was to use it in the car. Especially for long trips. Of course the speakers won't be needed.

How to power the pi is the question. I've read of people powering them using a simple usb charger(2.1amp).This would be a problem in my car because the 12V ports shut off with the car. The ports in the wife's SUV are always on. Some claim to run them using a high capacity power bank.
    I'm using a BananaPI with LMS & Squeezelite in my car. The hole system is built in a small enclosure. The enclosure also has a 1TB SSD drive to hold my music files.
    The BananaPI is running hostapd and Samba. Hosptapd turns the BPI into an Access Point so that I'm able to control the system with iPeng from my phone. Samba is very useful to synchronise with my NAS at home (adding new music to the internal drive). I call this CarSqueeze
    The CarSqueeze is powered by a USB outlet in the car. The USB outlet is connected to a large power bank (10000 mA). The power bank is powering my BPI. This allows for the BPI to stay powered at a certain interval.

This works fine but I'm thinking of modifying it a little bit and add a relay: the relay would switch the BPI to the car USB supply as soon as the USB connector is powered. This will solve a small issue I have now: when the power bank's batteries are completely depleted then it doesn't output 5 volts until there is sufficient capacity build up in the batteries (in other words: it doesn't output power when it is charging completely empty batteries).

I simply use my iPhone iPeng and OpenVPN 😊.

Minimum effort and it works, just try . Interface to the car via bluetooth ,CarPlay or and aux cable or what your car provides.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I simply use my iPhone iPeng and OpenVPN ��.

Minimum effort and it works, just try . Interface to the car via bluetooth ,CarPlay or and aux cable or what your car provides.
    I have thought about that but I see a few possible issues with such a setup:

* What kind of Internet connection do you have (in terms of speed) on you NAS / file server side?
    * And what kind of files are you streaming (mp3, flac, others)?
    * What kind of internet connection do you need on your phone to have a reliable stream?
    * Are you charged by data usage on your 3/4G connection on your phone? If so, is it expensive?