Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

squeezebox and eero: a marriage made you know where

I made a switch recently with wireless in the house from airport expresses to eero. The eeros give us benefit over the airport expresses with whole house coverage, and higher throughput in the home with all the streaming video we’ve got going.

All was good for a while, but my four squeezeboxes (sb2, sb3, boom, transporter) recently starting hating the eeros as of a new firmware release. Blammo there goes my music.

For the most part, the sb’s worked fine with eero before this firmware update. They’re a new product and they update/improve the product frequently, and I doubt squeezebox health is part of their regression testing, so I expect this to happen again.

As of the eero firmware update, the sb’s intermittently lose connection to the squeezebox server, a mac mini. During these episodes, the mini is connected to the internet, and reachable on the house network, but that particular sb can’t find it for a few seconds or a few minutes, or never again without intervention. As has been covered here many times, the dreaded “can’t connect to server” is psychically unnverving (4am in the bedroom sb, “can’t connect to server” brightly, noon on saturday in the living room “can’t connect to server” while I’m watching something, aaaaargh).

The sb wireless hardware is inferior to the airports in getting through my walls, which the airports can do, so three of the sb’s are each sitting behind an airport express acting as a wireless client to the eero network. The fourth sb (boom) is in a good spot and is happy with wireless. This was the case before eero with no troubles.

If I reset the entire network from the cable modem to the eeros to the airports to the mini, then I get love for a little while, but not long. The bad comes back in a day, maybe two. Resetting the network isn’t really appeciated by anyone in the house and is particularly unsustainable for marriage.

Maintenance and love aren’t always close cousins, and I’ve wrestled with how long to keep these squeezeboxes, if ever short of forever. I baby them so. One last idea. Back when life was simple and my walls didn’t have chicken wire in them and netflix mailed us dvds, I needed a lone linksys wrt54g to make the whole house happy.

I dusted the linksys off, connected it to the eero on the cable modem, set up a new wireless network, and joined it from the airport expresses, the boom, and the mac mini, isolating all of the squeezeboxes and the mini to the second network. Yes, I’ve double-natted and tsk tsk.

But guess what? Success! No squeezebox drops in a week and counting. The eero network proper seems untroubled. The squeezeboxes are happy, the rest of the house is happy.

The sb’s live to fill the house with music yet another day or month or year. Let it be years.

This thread is concerning to me. I'm about to move to a bigger house and I'm planning on setting it up with 3 or 4 Eeros. I also plan to have 7 or 8 Squeezeboxem throughout the house. I was assuming that this was just going to work. Are you saying it won't? Are you still using this "workaround"? I'm not sure I fully understand what you did, so now I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any add'l info.

-jg

Quote Originally Posted by dbwat View Post
    I made a switch recently with wireless in the house from airport expresses to eero. The eeros give us benefit over the airport expresses with whole house coverage, and higher throughput in the home with all the streaming video we’ve got going.

All was good for a while, but my four squeezeboxes (sb2, sb3, boom, transporter) recently starting hating the eeros as of a new firmware release. Blammo there goes my music.

For the most part, the sb’s worked fine with eero before this firmware update. They’re a new product and they update/improve the product frequently, and I doubt squeezebox health is part of their regression testing, so I expect this to happen again.

As of the eero firmware update, the sb’s intermittently lose connection to the squeezebox server, a mac mini. During these episodes, the mini is connected to the internet, and reachable on the house network, but that particular sb can’t find it for a few seconds or a few minutes, or never again without intervention. As has been covered here many times, the dreaded “can’t connect to server” is psychically unnverving (4am in the bedroom sb, “can’t connect to server” brightly, noon on saturday in the living room “can’t connect to server” while I’m watching something, aaaaargh).

The sb wireless hardware is inferior to the airports in getting through my walls, which the airports can do, so three of the sb’s are each sitting behind an airport express acting as a wireless client to the eero network. The fourth sb (boom) is in a good spot and is happy with wireless. This was the case before eero with no troubles.

If I reset the entire network from the cable modem to the eeros to the airports to the mini, then I get love for a little while, but not long. The bad comes back in a day, maybe two. Resetting the network isn’t really appeciated by anyone in the house and is particularly unsustainable for marriage.

Maintenance and love aren’t always close cousins, and I’ve wrestled with how long to keep these squeezeboxes, if ever short of forever. I baby them so. One last idea. Back when life was simple and my walls didn’t have chicken wire in them and netflix mailed us dvds, I needed a lone linksys wrt54g to make the whole house happy.

I dusted the linksys off, connected it to the eero on the cable modem, set up a new wireless network, and joined it from the airport expresses, the boom, and the mac mini, isolating all of the squeezeboxes and the mini to the second network. Yes, I’ve double-natted and tsk tsk.

But guess what? Success! No squeezebox drops in a week and counting. The eero network proper seems untroubled. The squeezeboxes are happy, the rest of the house is happy.

The sb’s live to fill the house with music yet another day or month or year. Let it be years.

Quote Originally Posted by jg867 View Post
    This thread is concerning to me. I'm about to move to a bigger house and I'm planning on setting it up with 3 or 4 Eeros. I also plan to have 7 or 8 Squeezeboxem throughout the house. I was assuming that this was just going to work. Are you saying it won't? Are you still using this "workaround"? I'm not sure I fully understand what you did, so now I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any add'l info.

-jg

It looks like from his Post, if I followed him correctly, that he has ALL his Squeezeboxen on a second WiFi Network and is NOT using Eeros for the Squeezeboxen.

A possible solution that is much cheaper then the expensive Eeros is to build your own. I also run two networks in my home, but I do it to keep one network completely off the Internet. I have set a similar single network up at my son's home. That Network being a nice new 802.11ac main wifi router and as many older N wifi routers as needed (especially if one has a few laying around) and some ethernet cable so the old routers can become APs (access points). If one can follow a simple YouTube video, one can setup a nice WiFi Network with multiple APs. One nice thing about a Netgear WiFi Router is that in the GUI it will show one all there neighbor's WiFi Networks and what channels they are on so one can avoid them.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive