Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just replaced the 4 can caps with close capacitance and bump up the voltage rating. The caps fit on the circuit board and the power supply working great.

I'm getting a spurious Transporter reboot about once a day recently. Looks like I need to install one of these new power supplies I bought a while back.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm getting a spurious Transporter reboot about once a day recently. Looks like I need to install one of these new power supplies I bought a while back.
    Very likely - it's a quick swap and your Transporter will be happy for another 10+ years. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could try replacing the large electrolytic caps on the old supply and keeping it for a spare....

Quote Originally Posted by mkbrucetx View Post
    Very likely - it's a quick swap and your Transporter will be happy for another 10+ years. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could try replacing the large electrolytic caps on the old supply and keeping it for a spare....
    perfect. It'll be a week before I have time to take off case (any weird thing about removing case? normal screws?).
    p.s. I'm NOT handy with a soldering iron, but I purchased 3 of the replacement power supplies so I should be good! I'm happy to mail the old power supply to anyone that wants it though. just PM me.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

perfect. It'll be a week before I have time to take off case (any weird thing about removing case? normal screws?).
    p.s. I'm NOT handy with a soldering iron, but I purchased 3 of the replacement power supplies so I should be good! I'm happy to mail the old power supply to anyone that wants it though. just PM me.
    Case is secured with hex-head bolts on the sides of the case. Remove them and slide the cover off. Power supply has two connections and is secured by screws to the bottom of the case. The replacement supply is an exact replacement so it drops right in.

Quote Originally Posted by mkbrucetx View Post
    Case is secured with hex-head bolts on the sides of the case. Remove them and slide the cover off. Power supply has two connections and is secured by screws to the bottom of the case. The replacement supply is an exact replacement so it drops right in.
    thanks.

Just did the replacement. All working, but since the reboots were only about once or twice a day, I won't know for sure that problem solved. Regarding fix, it took about 10 minutes, and 9 minutes of that was unscrewing/re-screwing the 8 screws that hold the case on (1/16" allen key/hex key) and the 3 screws holding down the power supply (5/64 allen key/hex key).

I didn't notice anything odd on the old power supply (then again, it wasn't completely broken....)
    Last edited by garym; 2016-09-15 at 17:33.

Just did the replacement. All working, but since the reboots were only about once or twice a day, I won't know for sure that problem solved. Regarding fix, it took about 10 minutes, and 9 minutes of that was unscrewing the 8 screws that hold the case on (1/16" allen key/hex key) and the 3 screws holding down the power supply (5/64 allen key/hex key).

I didn't notice anything odd on the old power supply (then again, it wasn't completely broken....)
    I have mkbrucetx's old PSU that he sent me. I can't find anything odd looking about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    I have mkbrucetx's old PSU that he sent me. I can't find anything odd looking about it either.
    I too looked for obviously bulging caps or burned traces/components, but didn't see any. Since I found replacements, I didn't bother pulling and testing individual components - but kind of wished I had. The large electrolytic caps are likely the culprits.

I can send it back if you want.
    (That's a serious offer by the way)
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2016-09-17 at 16:04.