Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fix for spuriously rebooting Transporter

For a couple of months, my Transporter would spuriously reboot itself as if it had lost power completely - relays clicking, logo scrolling, etc.

Not finding anything directly relevant through Google searches other than a vague reference to the DC power supply being a cheap Chinese switcher, I opened the cover and measured the PSU output - 5.1 V unloaded, exactly what one might expect. However, plug in the front panel, and the voltage dropped to 4.6 and wandered around between there and 4.8-4.9 - the DC power supply was obviously hosed.

Searching around some more, I found a UK company that sells a rebranded version of the exact same board from Unifive. I'll post a link in a follow-on message (since this is my first post to this forum, I can't post it here)

Confident in the fix, I ordered two ($8 each, but $31 shipping from the UK to US). A few days later, the new supplies arrived at my door. Put one in and checked voltage - 5.1V unloaded and 5.1V with the front panel plugged in.

The Transporter is back in the rack and I'm hoping to not hear the dreaded clicking of a reboot.

Hopefully this will help someone with a similar problem or a completely dead front panel - check the DC supply between the front panel and the main board in the back, but be careful. The back connector is 110VAC when plugged in. The front connector is 4 pins but only the outer two are used.

Link to replacement power supply:

https://www.rapidonline.com/powerpax...c-2-3a-85-2251

Thanks for posting. I'm sure this will help some Transporter owner in the future!

EDIT: and what do you know....later in this tread that future transporter owner turned out to be me!
    Last edited by garym; 2016-09-15 at 17:35.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks for the heads up. I have two myself, and I don't even have a Transporter...yet.

Any chance I can have your old PSU? (I'll pay you to ship it to me) I'd love to take a look at it with my magnifier. (If "yes", I'll PM you)

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I have two myself, and I don't even have a Transporter...yet.

Any chance I can have your old PSU? (I'll pay you to ship it to me) I'd love to take a look at it with my magnifier. (If "yes", I'll PM you)
    Sure - PM me your info and we can arrange something.

Thanks! You'll have to turn your private message option ON. Right now its disabled.

It is quite normal for an unregulated power supply to drop output voltage quite significantly when it's put under load but I would have expected a regulated supply in that location. It is a cheap fix, however.
    Last edited by drmatt; 2016-07-01 at 01:46.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    It is quite normal for an unregulated power supply to drop output voltage quite significantly when it's put under load but I would have expected a regulated supply in that location. It is a cheap fix, however.
    The 5VDC supply in the Transporter is load regulated to +/-5% and line regulated to +/-1% according to the manufacturer specs.

mkbrucetx: How is your Transporter doing since you replaced the PSU?

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    mkbrucetx: How is your Transporter doing since you replaced the PSU?
    Happy as a clam - no reboots or other weird behavior.