Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

details on hardware items and plan

Hello

Can you please give more details on hardware items required to build this screen+keys buttons ? I cannot find any exact details on the different coonections to build and the GPIO to use

How is it compatible with HifiBereryPI AMP ? (GPIO 2-3 & 28-31 are used by AMP hat) ?

Thank you

Hello,

I don't have an exact recipe how to connect a display, momentary switches, a rotary encoder or an IR receiver. But it is an easy task, if you know (or want to learn) some very basic electronics. You can find many tutorials on these topics on the web.

For a basic setup You will need the following components:
    - hd44780 compatible 2004 or 1602 LCD
    - 2 momentary switches (microswitch or any other momentary switch)
    - a rotary encoder

You will also need 5 x 10 kOhm resistors to use as pull-ups, and a variable resistor to set the contrast of the display. That's it. But please search for these topics on the net, it is an easy thing. You can even buy ready made modules (display, switches...) to directly connect them to the Pi.

You can use any free GPIO pins to connect these things to the Pi, so it doesn't matter which ones are occupied by your audio board, if there are enough free io pins.

Regards,
    Balßzs
    Last edited by tbali; 2017-04-18 at 07:59.

Is there anyway to use a I2C Display?
    I have a 4x20 LCD that I just put a I2C board and a logic level converter board on to use on a Pi.
    Last edited by RustySpoons; 2017-05-26 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by RustySpoons View Post
    Is there anyway to use a I2C Display?
    It should work. Lcdproc supports i2c hd44780 LCDs. There is a chance, that the driver I compiled into the Slimmer bundle excludes i2c support. I can not check now. But in this case I can compile a new one for You. Try it.

Here is a link how someone did that on the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=35&t=63412

Quote Originally Posted by tbali View Post
    It should work. Lcdproc supports i2c hd44780 LCDs. There is a chance, that the driver I compiled into the Slimmer bundle excludes i2c support. I can not check now. But in this case I can compile a new one for You. Try it.

Here is a link how someone did that on the Pi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=35&t=63412

Thanks for the reply. I should have checked what it was using. Great that it's LCDproc I used that about 15 years ago, hopefully it's still the same.

Great work on this project. Can't wait to try it.

Had a play around today, seems i2c-tools are installed and working as I can see the address of my display (0x27)
    Configured the LCDd.conf file correctly, but nothing will show on the display.
    So you may be right about not being compiled with i2c support, unless TC needs something enabled as well? but I think that must be ok as i2cdetect -r 1 is showing the correct address.

I checked the latest Slimmer Bundle and it contains i2c symbols in the driver. I checked the source and those symbols are only available if i2c code is compiled in.

Code:
    nm /tmp/tcloop/lcdproc-server/usr/local/lib/lcdproc/hd44780.so | grep i2c
    So there must be some other problem. Maybe LCDd misconfiguration or something on the kernel side.

I checked the latest Slimmer Bundle and it contains i2c symbols in the driver. I checked the source and those symbols are only available if i2c code is compiled in.

Code:
    nm /tmp/tcloop/lcdproc-server/usr/local/lib/lcdproc/hd44780.so | grep i2c
    So there must be some other problem. Maybe LCDd misconfiguration or something on the kernel side.
    Yeah I wonder if I2C isn't enabled in the OS, I have to enable it on other OS's such as Rasbian.
    Will look in to it a bit further.

Thanks for checking

Everything seems to be okay with the OS.

Sort of getting somewhere...

When it boots up now the backlight goes off and you can sort of see some writing going on, but the display doesn't initialise properly as I still have the 2 rows of black bars.
    If I change "backlight = no to backlight = yes" I still have no backlight but the display initialises differently and gives me a load of garbage.

*EDIT*

Found the issue...

https://sourceforge.net/p/lcdproc/di...read/00298b2f/

It's due to how some of the pins are wired up on the backpack.

Is there any way to include this version of lcdproc?

https://github.com/wilberforce/lcdproc
    Last edited by RustySpoons; 2017-05-27 at 14:16.

This improvement is already the part of the new (official) lcdproc repository here:

https://github.com/lcdproc/lcdproc/b.../hd44780-i2c.c

I already compiled that for the Pi some weeks ago. I will publish that along with the new features of Slimmer in 1 or 2 days.