Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Announce: Slimmer

Hello to All!

The first public release of Slimmer is available. It's a software with which You can build a low cost user interface for your DIY Squeezebox player. Low cost means a cheap 2004 HD44780 compatible LCD (5$), two momentary switches, a rotary encoder (1$) and some resistors.

More info: https://github.com/terba/slimmer/wiki
    piCorePlayer installation instructions: https://github.com/terba/slimmer/wiki/Building-a-player
    Source: https://github.com/terba/slimmer

Please report bugs and wishes at the github issue tracker and ask questions here in the forum.

I would really appreciate any feedback! Currently it was only tested on a RPi A+ with piCorePlayer, but there it works like a charm.

Regards
    Balßzs

Hi,

nicely done - i didnt took a deeper look at your work right now but it sounds good.
    is there a reason why the lsb header is missing here?

cheers and welcome to the club

Hello,

It is meant to be used on Tiny Core style distros. But can be easily extended for more sophisticated linuxes. I should mention that in the readme file.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
    Balßzs

Looks great. Thanks for contributing. piCorePlayer goes from strength to strength.

Something I will try out in the long winter evenings.

Slimmer PiCorePlayer and a rotary encoder

I am just trying to get a rotary encoder to work using slimmer. I know the encoder works because it works in Moode but I am struggling to make it work with piCorePlayer. I am using the IQaudio DAC zero and the IQ audio encoder is connected to it.

I have tried evtest and it reports nothing!

The config files are as follows (192.168.1.76 is LMS not the player)

slimmer.conf
    OPTIONS="--lmshost 192.168.1.76 --input /dev/pikeyd"

pikeyd.conf
    ROT 23 24 KEY_LEFT KEY_RIGHT
    (everything else commented out)

I've confirmed with Gordon at IQaudio that the DAC headers are to GPIO pins 23 and 24 on the DAC zero.

Any advice, I'd be really grateful.
    Last edited by kingswindsor; 2016-07-06 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by kingswindsor View Post
    I am just trying to get a rotary encoder to work using slimmer. I know the encoder works because it works in Moode but I am struggling to make it work with piCorePlayer. I am using the IQaudio DAC zero and the IQ audio encoder is connected to it.
    Does your encoder work on the same hardware setup with Moode?
    Are there pull-up resistors on the encoder's outputs?
    Or does Moode turn on the Pi's internal pull-ups?

The following two options of PIKEYD are also interresting:
    -pu set internal pull-up resistors
    -pd set internal pull-down resistors

These may turn on the Pi's internal resistors. But I never tested them, even Pikeyd was not written by me, so please make some research on that. The original source is available here: https://github.com/dozencrows/pikeyd/tree/rotary

I think Pikeyd only handles incremental rotary encoders. What type of encoder do you have? I checked mine with a logic analyzer, and it produced the "wave" form seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary...re_Diagram.svg

I'm not an electronic expert btw.
    Last edited by tbali; 2016-07-07 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by tbali View Post
    Does your encoder work on the same hardware setup with Moode?
    Are there pull-up resistors on the encoder's outputs?
    Or does Moode turn on the Pi's internal pull-ups?

The following two options of PIKEYD are also interresting:
    -pu set internal pull-up resistors
    -pd set internal pull-down resistors

These may turn on the Pi's internal resistors. But I never tested them, even Pikeyd was not written by me, so please make some research on that. The original source is available here: https://github.com/dozencrows/pikeyd/tree/rotary

I think Pikeyd only handles incremental rotary encoders. What type of encoder do you have? I checked mine with a logic analyzer, and it produced the "wave" form seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary...re_Diagram.svg

I'm not an electronic expert btw.
    tbali

I have done some more research and i believe Moode turns on the Pi's internal pull-ups (like Wiring Pi does).

I'm using the rotary encoder from Gordon in IQaudio and there is a lot of information in his guidance and on his github links about the encoder. It's beyond my skill level though to apply it to PiCorePlayer!

Am I correct in assuming you have external pull-up resistors in your hardware setup for the rotary encoder? If so, would you be able to share that as I might be able to make progress that way?

many thanks

tbali

I have done some more research and i believe Moode turns on the Pi's internal pull-ups (like Wiring Pi does).

I'm using the rotary encoder from Gordon in IQaudio and there is a lot of information in his guidance and on his github links about the encoder. It's beyond my skill level though to apply it to PiCorePlayer!

Am I correct in assuming you have external pull-up resistors in your hardware setup for the rotary encoder? If so, would you be able to share that as I might be able to make progress that way?

many thanks
    I am using Gordon's IQ_rot and it works just fine (At least with the Amp+ board), but you need libwiringPi. PiCorePlayer does not come with wiringPI built in, and there could be a library version conflict as well. I have it compiled and statically linked with wiringPi, I'll send you a link when I get home this evening. That will be a good test to make sure your hardware is wired properly for use with piCorePlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I am using Gordon's IQ_rot and it works just fine (At least with the Amp+ board), but you need libwiringPi. PiCorePlayer does not come with wiringPI built in, and there could be a library version conflict as well. I have it compiled and statically linked with wiringPi, I'll send you a link when I get home this evening. That will be a good test to make sure your hardware is wired properly for use with piCorePlayer.
    That would be really good, thanks.

tbali

many thanks
    Without pull-ups (internal or external) it won't work, there will be too much noise.

I took a quick look at the pikeyd source. As I could see the -pu option will turn on the internal pull-ups for both rotary encoder pins. So I would try that in your case. Just stop slimmer and pikeyd with their init.d scripts, and run pikeyd from the command line (foreground) with the -pu switch with sudo. You can use evtest from an other terminal to check if it works. It should.

Yes, I have external pull-up resistors (10k) on the encoder's output pins. I have no schematics, these are just simple pull-ups.