Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Is the Boom's power supply interchangeable with the Duet's

I just got a second hand Boom today, but it came with a non-OEM power supply which has quite a loose connection to the Boom and thus tends to fall out. A bit of a pain as the vendor (off this forum nothing less) mentioned nothing about a non-OEM power supply

Since I have a Duet to spare, I'm wondering if I could use the power supply for the Duet receiver for the Boom. The actual socket fits, but I'm wondering if it will damage the power supply or the Boom, or simply be inadquate?

In other words are some/all of the Squeezebox powersupplies interchangeable?

Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    I just got a second hand Boom today, but it came with a non-OEM power supply which has quite a loose connection to the Boom and thus tends to fall out. A bit of a pain as the vendor (off this forum nothing less) mentioned nothing about a non-OEM power supply

Since I have a Duet to spare, I'm wondering if I could use the power supply for the Duet receiver for the Boom. The actual socket fits, but I'm wondering if it will damage the power supply or the Boom, or simply be inadquate?

No:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Yes, I read those comparisons but didn't know what to make of them? All a bit technical for me.

If 'no' is really the end of the story, then can anyone recommend a good non-OEM power supply that actually connects securely? (ie won't fall out like the Digitor supplied with mine).

Yes, I read those comparisons but didn't know what to make of them? All a bit technical for me.

If 'no' is really the end of the story, then can anyone recommend a good non-OEM power supply that actually connects securely? (ie won't fall out like the Digitor supplied with mine).
    You don't state where you reside, but here's one, should work ok from Logitech GB (pricey).

http://support.logitech.com/en_gb/pr...queezebox-boom
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    You don't state where you reside, but here's one, should work ok from Logitech GB (pricey).

http://support.logitech.com/en_gb/pr...queezebox-boom
    Well spotted. I found a similar one in the US but none in Australia where I live and Logitech US and UK won't ship OS

Well spotted. I found a similar one in the US but none in Australia where I live and Logitech US and UK won't ship OS
    The Boom original power supply is made by Phihong and is model PSC30R-120R. It looks like it is out of production but a replacement PSAC30U-120L6 is compatible. Phihong PSU's are available from mouse.com in many countries see http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...7zcbeaVZWWOh99

From an old forum post ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...m-Power-Supply ) the key specs are

12V 2.5A

Barrel connector:
    Outside Diameter (OD) 5.5mm
    Inside Diameter (ID) 2.1mm

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The Boom original power supply is made by Phihong and is model PSC30R-120R. It looks like it is out of production but a replacement PSAC30U-120L6 is compatible. Phihong PSU's are available from mouse.com in many countries see http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...7zcbeaVZWWOh99

From an old forum post ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...m-Power-Supply ) the key specs are

12V 2.5A

Barrel connector:
    Outside Diameter (OD) 5.5mm
    Inside Diameter (ID) 2.1mm
    Thanks for the information. I have enough info to go by now to order a replacement. Like others, I'm amazed that this incredible device (indeed, incredible line of audio products) is out of production. I've stocked up on Duets and Touches now, so if my Boom lasts I'll be with streamed music whereever I want it (except in the car for the time being) for the foreseeable future.

If it is just the OEM barrel connector that is loose on the BOOM pin, why not get something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5mm-x-2-...-/371242508402

The link is only for illustration, check the size yourself.

I Have a couple of Joggler OEM power supplies which have loosened up and use a similar solution.

atb

Ronnie.

I have an original power supply for my boom which is also a bit loose in that it turns off when I knock it. It's entirely possible it's the socket.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalleq View Post
    I have an original power supply for my boom which is also a bit loose in that it turns off when I knock it. It's entirely possible it's the socket.
    Hmm, this is the first I've heard of this, and then I just checked out an ebay offering and it had the same problem. So, it might be a general issue with the Booms. Seems possible that my Boom might have a similar problem in which case is there a fix? I mean is there anyway to (safely) pad out the connector to make it fit more snuggly.