Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SBB Display clarification

For some reason my SBB has stopped dimming at night when I turn the bedroom light out. I have attempted to reset this within the display settings using both the Settings on the Boom as well as via the display settings on the computer. While I can adjust the levels, I can't work out whether I should simply be setting everything on "Automatic", and am not even sure what some of the settings mean, especially "Sensitivity", and whether 1 is maximum sensitivity or 20. What is it "sensitive" to?
    Grateful for any advice which will explain this to me.
    An awful admission after owning 2 SBBs for 6 years, I know. Pity the instruction manual doesn't make any of this clear though.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    For some reason my SBB has stopped dimming at night when I turn the bedroom light out. I have attempted to reset this within the display settings using both the Settings on the Boom as well as via the display settings on the computer. While I can adjust the levels, I can't work out whether I should simply be setting everything on "Automatic", and am not even sure what some of the settings mean, especially "Sensitivity", and whether 1 is maximum sensitivity or 20. What is it "sensitive" to?
    Grateful for any advice which will explain this to me.
    An awful admission after owning 2 SBBs for 6 years, I know. Pity the instruction manual doesn't make any of this clear though.
    sensitive means how sensitive the "automatic" display light level is to the light in your room. 20 is maximum sensitivity. I have two booms, bought when they first came out. On one of them, the dimming function has started not working very well and in fact the display itself is developing problems (can't get bright enough). But then recently it started working OK again, but seems to go back and forth.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    sensitive means how sensitive the "automatic" display light level is to the light in your room. 20 is maximum sensitivity. I have two booms, bought when they first came out. On one of them, the dimming function has started not working very well and in fact the display itself is developing problems (can't get bright enough). But then recently it started working OK again, but seems to go back and forth.
    My Boom just started exhibiting this same behavior. I turned off the display entirely, hoping that it won't die completely in case I ever need to set it up again. As sad as this made me, my wife was even unhappier that she lost her sitting area clock

Quote Originally Posted by TomAmes View Post
    My Boom just started exhibiting this same behavior. I turned off the display entirely, hoping that it won't die completely in case I ever need to set it up again. As sad as this made me, my wife was even unhappier that she lost her sitting area clock
    I've started using the plugin "blanksaver" in LMS to blank out my display in both BOOM and TRANSPORTER when I'm not playing something. I'm hoping that this will extend their life, as these old displays are subject to dying out....
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I've started using the plugin "blanksaver" in LMS to blank out my display in both BOOM and TRANSPORTER when I'm not playing something. I'm hoping that this will extend their life, as these old displays are subject to dying out....
    Having read about this problem, I have decided to put my "Best" Boom on a timer because I only use it at night. before I go to sleep and when I wake up early morning. I hope this will extend the life of the display. I have a second Boom which I will not use and this should give me a back-up display I can swap over when needed.

I seem to have fixed the Display sensitivity problem I had which originated this thread.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Having read about this problem, I have decided to put my "Best" Boom on a timer because I only use it at night. before I go to sleep and when I wake up early morning. I hope this will extend the life of the display. I have a second Boom which I will not use and this should give me a back-up display I can swap over when needed.

I seem to have fixed the Display sensitivity problem I had which originated this thread.

Allen
    In theory a VFD has a lifetime of around 50000 hours (to 50% brightness) which equates to around 5.7 years if run 24 hours a day. I say 'in theory' because my experience is that they can last a lot longer than that. In our lab at work we have multimeters with VFD displays that have been running for over 20 years 24 hours a day and still working ! Despite that, I still turn my Transporters display off when not being used. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily save the display. If the filament voltage goes low (due to dried up electrolytic caps etc) then the display can prematurely age. My oldest Transporter is one of the early 'Slim Devices' units making it around 10 years old and the display is still very bright when turned up so I'm hoping for at least another 10 years use !
    Bridged Silent Server -> Transporter -> Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 Amp with Room Perfect -> Art Emotion Speakers