Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which NAS still support LMS

Hi

I am sorry to ask such a basic question but I am not really a NAS user. I currently run LMS on my computer and stream it over my local network. Never had the need to use a NAS in my life...until now.

I am moving out and leaving one of my duets with my ex since all our music is digital. The trouble is that I am taking my PC and she only uses a Mac, so I am thinking I will get her a NAS and run the music (about 1TB worth mainly in Flac files from it).

So can anyone recommend me a good one or two bay, not too expensive or complex NAS that works well with LMS and squeezebox duet? I gather the fact that my ex runs a iMac is irrelevant as the music will run through the NAS and router.

thanks

There is LMS for Mac OS, too.
    NAS still supporting LMS are from Synology and maybe readyNAS since the latter is the only one, Logitech developed the LMS for by themselves.
    I run LMS 7.9 on a QNAP but since a vulnerability the official support was stopped. Otherwise there are instructions to run and update LMS on QNAP in the forums.

Alternative approach could be a Pi as LMS with either attached USB or punted at a NAS (any make).
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know there is a Mac version of LMS but my ex won't be running it from her iMac because her hard disk is too small for all our music. It has to be from an external source so I figured a NAS (unless someone has any other ideas).

As for Pi, I thought of this, but we have already 3 sqeezebox duets and receivers so best to go via this route as I understand it and must set it up for her. It has to be as simple as can be.

Most of the Synology NASs will run LMS 7.7 and 7.9 beta. Even better are pinkdot's repacks which include the very latest changes/fixes wrapped into the Synology beta pack. See this thread for details: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...nology-DSM-5-*

HB
    1 x Duet, 2 x Radio, 2 x Touch with iPeng 9 served by Synology 1815+ and LMS 7.9.1

LMS runs also on Open Media Vault without problems and easy installation and you can build your own NAS. See this not so old thread for NAS-Sugestions

Thanks for all the suggestions. I must say I don't quite understand what Open Media Vault is even after looking at the site.

But I have been thinking that an even easier way to go might be to plug a decent external HD enclosure into the router (a fairly high performance Asus RT-AC68U) and simply stream the music over the network that way. I'd then run LMS from the iMac, instead of from a NAS).

I realise that doing this wouldn't provide all the functionality of a dedicated NAS but then again the only thing I'm looking for is to stream music over the network to the Squeezebox. I don't need back up, cloud storage etc. Just music streaming and I'm thinking this could be the simplest and cheapest way to accomplish this. Am I right? Or missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I must say I don't quite understand what Open Media Vault is even after looking at the site.

But I have been thinking that an even easier way to go might be to plug a decent external HD enclosure into the router (a fairly high performance Asus RT-AC68U) and simply stream the music over the network that way. I'd then run LMS from the iMac, instead of from a NAS).

I realise that doing this wouldn't provide all the functionality of a dedicated NAS but then again the only thing I'm looking for is to stream music over the network to the Squeezebox. I don't need back up, cloud storage etc. Just music streaming and I'm thinking this could be the simplest and cheapest way to accomplish this. Am I right? Or missing something?
    Who not plug the external HD directly to the Mac ? If the Mac is on wifi the music gets to go 2 wifi hoops before reaching the player instead of 3 ( wired server would be best 1 wifi hoop to the player )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Who not plug the external HD directly to the Mac ? If the Mac is on wifi the music gets to go 2 wifi hoops before reaching the player instead of 3 ( wired server would be best 1 wifi hoop to the player )
    That might be a possible solution so long as it doesn't prevent me playing the music. You see, the music is mainly in flac and ape and from my understand Macs don't play these files. Or is my thinking confused? I know one can't play flac etc files directly on Macs without various fixes. Does this affect things if I try to stream these files, which are not sitting on the Mac, but on an external HD via LMS running on the Mac. (OK, I admit it I'm no Mac fan and pretty Mac ignorant. I like the open source freedom of PCs).

I will also need a very quiet external usb enclosure that doesn't turn itself off when not in use, otherwise one has to manually turn it on every time one wants to use the SB.

ReadyNAS

Hi!

ReadyNAS has TWO LMS apps. Well, one is kind of old.

Here is the latest. 7.9

http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9
    SB Touch to Hegel H90, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro C5 and Hegel H90.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng