Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know there is a Mac version of LMS but my ex won't be running it from her iMac because her hard disk is too small for all our music. It has to be from an external source so I figured a NAS (unless someone has any other ideas).

As for Pi, I thought of this, but we have already 3 sqeezebox duets and receivers so best to go via this route as I understand it and must set it up for her. It has to be as simple as can be.
    Don't see any issue with the MAC being a client of the NAS and serving the music anyway via its internal LMS. Ok two hops on wifi but it'll work.

Or, picore. Or pick up a Touch and enable the internal LMS..

OK, latest thoughts.

Buy a ReadyNAS, put all the music on it, run LMS on it, plug it into the usb3 port on my Asus RT-AC68U wireless router, and run the music wirelessly to the Squeezebox this way.

No need to drag the iMac out of the cupboard, since the ex usually uses her Macbook air anway.

Would this work?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    OK, latest thoughts.

Buy a ReadyNAS, put all the music on it, run LMS on it, plug it into the usb3 port on my Asus RT-AC68U wireless router, and run the music wirelessly to the Squeezebox this way.

No need to drag the iMac out of the cupboard, since the ex usually uses her Macbook air anway.

Would this work?

thanks
    not the usb3 port - a lan port
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    not the usb3 port - a lan port
    You're right, I think that is what is meant.

So would this be the way to completely by-pass the iMac or Macbook airi and just stream the music directly from a ReadNAS running LMS via a decent router?

Seems the simplest solution to me given my level of Mac knowledge (less than NIL) and the fact that I already have a good router. Of course, I can also get the NAS to show up on the Mac but the best thing is to leave the Mac out of it completely.