Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Spotify issues on a QNAP TS-239

I have been running LMS on a QNAP TS-239 NAS for some years now. I'm streaming to a mix of Logitech players (SB3, SBT, SB Radios), plus a couple of Raspberry Pi devices running piCorePlayer. The system works pretty well on the whole.

Recently I've been having issues with Spotify. The problem doesn't seem to lie with the Spotify app or with LMS. The symptoms are that the Spotify app appears to function properly: playlists etc show up, tracks show all the signs of playing (the progress indicators on the LMS web interface show music is playing) and it scrobbles to last.fm. But no sound is produced (on all my players). I'm using the Spotify with Michael's helper plugin.

If I restart LMS, the situation remains like this.

If I reboot the QNAP (obviously restarting LMS as well), Spotify works properly - I guess for about 24h (though I haven't looked at it) before falling back to the non-functional state.

I'm presuming something untoward is happening on the QNAP - perhaps to the ogg vorbis codec? But I really don't have an idea what to do to sort this out, and any advice would be appreciated...

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I have been running LMS on a QNAP TS-239 NAS for some years now. I'm streaming to a mix of Logitech players (SB3, SBT, SB Radios), plus a couple of Raspberry Pi devices running piCorePlayer. The system works pretty well on the whole.

Recently I've been having issues with Spotify. The problem doesn't seem to lie with the Spotify app or with LMS. The symptoms are that the Spotify app appears to function properly: playlists etc show up, tracks show all the signs of playing (the progress indicators on the LMS web interface show music is playing) and it scrobbles to last.fm. But no sound is produced (on all my players). I'm using the Spotify with Michael's helper plugin.

If I restart LMS, the situation remains like this.

If I reboot the QNAP (obviously restarting LMS as well), Spotify works properly - I guess for about 24h (though I haven't looked at it) before falling back to the non-functional state.

I'm presuming something untoward is happening on the QNAP - perhaps to the ogg vorbis codec? But I really don't have an idea what to do to sort this out, and any advice would be appreciated...

Robert
    It's been said before.....and will be said again (especially by me )

Get another raspberry pi (3) and put LMS on that!!!

Not a grumpy Ronnie, but one with a sore knee . Is there a Doctor in the house?

I know that it is now possible to enable LMS on a Picoreplayer but I would just use Raspbian Jessie-lite.
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2016-05-18 at 02:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    It's been said before.....and will be said again (especially by me )

Get another raspberry pi (3) and put LMS on that!!!

Not a grumpy Ronnie, but one with a sore knee . Is there a Doctor in the house?

I know that it is now possible to enable LMS on a Picoreplayer but I would just use Raspbian Jessie-lite.
    Well I have the following:

A Pi B piCorePlayer with HiFi Berry DAC (in my office at work presently)
    A Pi B piCorePlayer with USB output
    A Pi 2 piCorePlayer with Raspi touch screen and IQAudioDAC. I've tried LMS on this but it is a bit limited.

Better is the WD My Passport Wireless HD described elsewhere in this subforum, which works surprisingly well as a single box LMS. I'm currently using this in my work office.

But the QNAP offers several backup possibilities, and it's been pretty good over the years.

Robert
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Or get a QNAP that runs Virtualization Station and put it on a VM. :-)

Well I have the following:

A Pi B piCorePlayer with HiFi Berry DAC (in my office at work presently)
    A Pi B piCorePlayer with USB output
    A Pi 2 piCorePlayer with Raspi touch screen and IQAudioDAC. I've tried LMS on this but it is a bit limited.

Better is the WD My Passport Wireless HD described elsewhere in this subforum, which works surprisingly well as a single box LMS. I'm currently using this in my work office.

But the QNAP offers several backup possibilities, and it's been pretty good over the years.

Robert
    I have all music on a QNAP but run LMS on a Pi with storage on the QNAP. Very easy with max2play. Best of both worlds.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I have all music on a QNAP but run LMS on a Pi with storage on the QNAP. Very easy with max2play. Best of both worlds.
    That's sounds an eminently sensible solution!
    At the moment, Spotify is still working for me after 24h - I've turned on Spotify logging, so I'll monitor what happens.

Robert

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

That's sounds an eminently sensible solution!
    At the moment, Spotify is still working for me after 24h - I've turned on Spotify logging, so I'll monitor what happens.

Robert
    I should perhaps add that my current production server is an old Dell running Vortexbox but with the storage on my QNAP via NFS mount. The pi solution is in my case a test server but I have also built one for a friend. Max2play makes it very easy to use storage elsewhere via a samba mount which is easily configured via the web interface. I have had no issues whatsoever except one. The QNAP needs to be up and accessible before LMS starts. Not a show stopper.
    NB I would switch to the Pi but I have hacked the Vortexbox to rip directly to the QNAP as I am re-ripping a lot of CDs that I originally did as MP3.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Well, ever since I started this thread, Spotify has worked flawlessly on my QNAP...

Robert

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Well, ever since I started this thread, Spotify has worked flawlessly on my QNAP...

Robert

keep posting

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    keep posting
    A week ago, after a few more Spotify issues with LMS running on the QNAP, I set up a Raspberry Pi (original B model) with piCorePlayer 2.05 as an LMS server with music files on the QNAP. It's working a lot better and doesn't require SSODS to be running.

Robert

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob