Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grazie View Post
    Thanks for this, but I don't see where ALBUMARTIST, COMPILATION and ALBUMARTISTSORT are set.
    You'll probably need tagging software to set the tags after you've ripped the CD. Most ripping software doesn't have the ability to set arbitrary tags, plus you will almost surely need to make fixes and changes after you've ripped your CDs. Mp3tag works very well on FLAC, Mp3, and most other types of audio files.

for some unknown reason the Michael Jackson is again put back under Various Artists?
    In all likelihood, the reason is either:

(1)
    There is a COMPILATION (or TCMP for Mp3 files) tag included in the files of that album. Sometimes ripping or automatic tagging programs will assign this tag to 'best of' albums from a single artist. These are "compilations" in the terminology used by many people when describing these albums, but it has a very specific meaning in LMS - an album with tracks from different artists. You'll need to remove the tag if it exists.

or

(2)
    There is some variation in the list of artists (there can be more than one on a track) between the different tracks on the album. That could include a misspelling, even a variation in the capitalization of a name (LMS is case-sensitive in that regard). In a given album, all of the ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags must be identical or LMS will automatically think it has different artists and classify it as a compilation ('Various Artists') album.

Case sensitivity does make life difficult, particularly with auto tagging from online dbs. Bad enough dealing with all the variants of "and".
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

As stated in my first post, I use Mp3tag. I even gave an image snapshot as an example of how I've used it in my third post. I also stated that all the example media were flac.

If the term ALBUMARTIST equates to <Album Artist> column in Mp3tag, I can follow. However, I have never seen anything resembling COMPILATION or ALBUMARTISTSORT in Mp3tag or elsewhere.

However, I have never seen anything resembling COMPILATION or ALBUMARTISTSORT in Mp3tag or elsewhere.
    Thats the big issue from all of these gui tag tools - you may can add (to see) these extra tags - they didnt show all used tags.
    Google mp3tag and the bold phrase above to solve it.

As stated in my first post, I use Mp3tag. I even gave an image snapshot as an example of how I've used it in my third post. I also stated that all the example media were flac.

If the term ALBUMARTIST equates to <Album Artist> column in Mp3tag, I can follow. However, I have never seen anything resembling COMPILATION or ALBUMARTISTSORT in Mp3tag or elsewhere.
    Yes, it's labeled 'Album Artist' in Mp3tag.

The section (by default located on the left) that looks like a form in Mp3tag is called the 'Tag Panel'. To see the field/tag names that each of the fields is bound to, got to Tools > Options > Tag Panel. Double-click any of the names shown in the list and you can see how the field is defined. In these options you can also easily add additional fields to the Tag Panel.

For ALBUMARTISTSORT, I created one with these settings:

Field: ALBUMARTISTSORT
    Name: Album Artist Sort:

For the COMPILATION field:

Field: COMPILATION
    Name: Compilation:

I also created these fields for my convenience. In general, fields that are often applied to a full album (or disc) are most conveniently set using the Tag Panel rather than having to individually set them for every file in an album.

Field: ARTISTSORT
    Name: Artist Sort:

Field: DISCNUMBER
    Name: Disc Number:

Field: TOTALDISCS
    Name: Disc Total:

You should also (just for your own understanding) have a look at Mp3tag's Help page for Tag field mappings. Within Mp3tag use the field names shown in the 'Name in Mp3tag' column. For FLAC files, those names are used as-is (with a couple of small exceptions), and for Mp3 files with ID3v2 tags, the name should be mapped to the correct field name. For example, for Mp3 files with ID3v2 tags, you can just use 'COMPILATION' and it will automatically be mapped to the correct TCMP field. That's a really nice thing about Mp3tag, since then you don't have to worry so much about the file type that you're working with.

Then . . .

The area in Mp3tag containing columns and rows showing individual files is called the 'File View'. You can also edit and add to the columns by right-clicking anywhere in the column header bar and selecting 'Customize columns...' I don't remember if there are default columns for either COMPILATION or ALBUMARTIST, but similar to working with the Tag Panel, you can easily create them.

My COMPILATION column looks like:

Name: Compilation
    Value: %compilation%
    Field: COMPILATION
    Sort by: <blank>

Thanks. it's beginning to become clear.

you def want to read the wiki links in my sig.

in addition, there is a bug in LMS where out of the box it hides things which have a string conflict, bug 9523. anything that says "Various Artists" won't show, b/c thats the out of the box string LMS uses for comps.

i would also set TPE2 to be treated as ALBUM ARTIST by LMS.

as mentioned earlier, there is a big difference between tags in files, and file/folder locations. i set LMS to never guess based on folder/filename.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521
    Last edited by BJW; 2016-05-17 at 17:44.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

In many tag tools like mp3tag and puddletag there is a rigth click option to see all the tags , not only those with defined fields in the main GUI , believe me there are lots of tags as there is no enforced standard , any one can just invent one , therefore a gui can not have a field for everyone of them...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

In mp3tag you may find what you are missing in "extended tags" accessed from the menu, a right click or with Alt+T

You can also tell mp3tag which tags to display in the LH pane.

ArtistSort is one I display as if even one track has an ArtistSort of say Jackson, Micheal that everything by Michael Jackson will appear under J not M. That may be how you want it but ....
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones