Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Various Artists taggging

I've read a few articles on this and I'm non the wiser on how to make it work. I organise my media files with the following directory structure (because it makes sense to me).

<genre>/<artist>/<album>

I use both mp3 and flac media files, with all the examples below being flac. So for example I would store and tag the following albums as follows :

1. Blues - Essential Albums (2 CDs) as "../blues/Various Artists/Blues Essential Albums CD<n>" with tags "Artist"=<track artist> for each track, "Album Artist"="Various Artists" for all tracks.

2. Folk Awards 2014 (2 CDs) as "../folk-country/Various Artists/Folk Awards 2014 CD<n>" with tags "Artist"=<track artist> for each track, "Album Artist"="Various Artists" for all tracks.

3. A Rough Guide to West African Music as "../world music/Various Artists/A Rough Guide to West African Music" with tags "Artist"=<track artist> for each track, "Album Artist"="Various Artists" for all tracks.

However, none of the albums appear under artist Various Artists. The only album that does appear under Various Artist is a Michael Jackson album, which is weird especially as there are no Various Artists tags in these media files. I've also read about the Compilation tag which I don't want to use, but I'm confused as I just don't see this tag when I use mp3tag anyway. For another strange reason, Various Artists appears twice in my Artists listing, both as the first entry and in the correct location under V?

Although I can find all the above albums under Albums, I can't find any of them via Artist.
    Last edited by grazie; 2016-05-13 at 04:19.

Hi,

tagging is one thing -> you wrote "tags" into mediafiles.
    What you described is where (in which structure) you store the files.

Did you use the "guess tags from filenames"?
    Did you use "one List" or "two lists" for artists? (found in the serversettings->own music pane)

Thanks for your reply. However, I don't follow the points you made.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    tagging is one thing -> you wrote "tags" into mediafiles.
    What you described is where (in which structure) you store the files.
    I described 3 examples of CD media (bold on LHS) and how I tag them using mp3tag on the RHS. Below is the tagging for Blues - the Essential Album.

Name:  mp3tag.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  166.7 KB

Did you use the "guess tags from filenames"?
    Did you use "one List" or "two lists" for artists? (found in the serversettings->own music pane)
    I don't know where "guess tags from filenames" is set and I can't find it in Server Settings (I'm using Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5), so I don't know. Also, can't find "own music pane" in Server Settings either. Do you mean the My Music tab?

Name:  lms_web_interface.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  86.3 KB

However, it's now clear that LMS sees the Michael Jackson album as a compilation, which is why it was listed under Various Artists. I can only assume this was because both the tags <Artist> and <Album Artist> were set to "Michael Jackson". When <Album Artist> is left blank, the album is no longer listed under Various Artists. Unfortunately, still neither is anything else. I'm guessing LMS sees "Various Artists" as some kind of special reserved label. If I use something else, perhaps my problem will be cured?

Plus, to my way of thinking, a compilation album is very different to a various artists album, so it shouldn't have be listed under Various Artists anyway.
    Last edited by grazie; 2016-05-13 at 09:19.

Success!

I changed "Various Artists" to "Various" for the <Album Artist> tags and for all tracks. It means the above albums are now listed under Various. It also means that Various Artists is empty and always will be unless I set <Artist>=<Album Artist> using a tagging application (which would be a compilation album?). This seems like a bug to me, unless someone can explain otherwise.
    Last edited by grazie; 2016-05-13 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by grazie View Post
    I don't know where "guess tags from filenames" is set and I can't find it in Server Settings (I'm using Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.5)
    its under advanced.

Since you are "new" and 7.7.5 isnt updated long long time ago - i cant see a good reason why to start with that old version. Newer versions like 7.8.1 or 7.9 are better and 7.9 scans a lot faster that any older Version.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/

dont use 10.0 its a complete other Software made for ui radios only!

There is a right way to do this and a wrong way IMHO.

Ensure that you never use the compilation tag.
    Tag tracks with Artist names but leave Album Artist blank.

Say you have a blues cd with tracks by Jack Bruce amongst others. Tagging as above will result in the album appearing under both Jack Bruce (clicking through will show only the Jack Bruce tracks) and Various Artists. When you look at it under albums it will be by Various Artists assuming you leave the display option as such. If you use the compilation tag it will appear under Various Artists but not under Jack Bruce.

The directory structure is irrelevant. LMS uses the tags to build its database only.

Edit. And I would also recommend 7.8.1 or 7.9.x
    Last edited by d6jg; 2016-05-13 at 12:05.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

No, there is no "right' or "wrong" way to do this. However, there are some ways that work better than others given the (sometimes strange) way that Logitech Medaia Server operates. And, to a lesser extent, to how you want to make LMS operate.

What I do:

For compilation albums comprised of tracks by different artists, I tag all tracks within the album with:

ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
    COMPILATION=1

Something else that I do, so that when my albums are sorted in LMS by ARTIST/YEAR/ALBUM, is to force compilation albums to be first in the list, and when viewing artists, force 'Various Artists' to the top. That's done very easily by also adding the following:

ALBUMARTISTSORT=000

(zeroes). This is what I mean by making LMS do what you want. You may not want this behavior, and if so, just leave this out.

For non-compilations, omit the COMPILATION tag. But for compilations, the COMPILATION=1 tag is important and will affect affect how LSM classifies and lists artists.

Since you are "new" and 7.7.5 isnt updated long long time ago - i cant see a good reason why to start with that old version. Newer versions like 7.8.1 or 7.9 are better and 7.9 scans a lot faster that any older Version.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/

dont use 10.0 its a complete other Software made for ui radios only!
    Although, I'm new to using the forum, I've been using LMS for a couple of years or more, hence the version of software I had. I've only just started to sort out my music library.

I've now downloaded and installed version 7.9. Although using Various Artists for <Album Artist> works for my example albums above, for some unknown reason the Michael Jackson is again put back under Various Artists?
    Last edited by grazie; 2016-05-14 at 02:53.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    No, there is no "right' or "wrong" way to do this. However, there are some ways that work better than others given the (sometimes strange) way that Logitech Medaia Server operates. And, to a lesser extent, to how you want to make LMS operate.

What I do:

For compilation albums comprised of tracks by different artists, I tag all tracks within the album with:

ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
    COMPILATION=1

Something else that I do, so that when my albums are sorted in LMS by ARTIST/YEAR/ALBUM, is to force compilation albums to be first in the list, and when viewing artists, force 'Various Artists' to the top. That's done very easily by also adding the following:

ALBUMARTISTSORT=000

(zeroes). This is what I mean by making LMS do what you want. You may not want this behavior, and if so, just leave this out.

For non-compilations, omit the COMPILATION tag. But for compilations, the COMPILATION=1 tag is important and will affect affect how LSM classifies and lists artists.
    Thanks for this, but I don't see where ALBUMARTIST, COMPILATION and ALBUMARTISTSORT are set.

Hi,

please ask (look) in the rip /tag part of the forum.

right now there is no "good/bad" decision cause everyone uses his lib other than the next.
    Except one (more) exception

Various Artists is a term used by lms - so dont use it.

If you have a Album with more than one artists listed its a sampler/compilation (in lms terms)
    You can use the TCMP tag - but thats not a must.
    You must not use the TCMP tag for nonsamplers!!!!

If you have some album like that Michael Jackson where one track is Michael Jackson feat. Rockwell (Somebody┤s Watching Me) you should set albumartist to Michael Jackson that all the tracks from this album where found when searching for Michael Jackson.
    Its listed under va - cause more than one artist.

The directory structure is irrelevant.
    Well of curse not - in terms of how a file with proper tags is listed yes - in terms of what albumart is used when there is not embeddedartwork in it - its very important to use a unique directory structure (one album in one directory)
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2016-05-14 at 03:03. Reason: typo