Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeeze on Arch on Wandboard: boot problems following update: Solved

My Wandboard Quad is still going strong and running SoA. Thanks again to Triode for his fine work on SoA, not to mention all the other stuff he graciously contributed to the Squeezebox ecosystem over the years.

In the last couple of weeks, following an update using, firstly, the Squeeze on Arch Configuration Interface and later using SSH via Putty ("manually" on a restored previous SoA image), I found the Wandboard Quad would no longer boot. Restoring my previous SoA image using the USB Image Tool (http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/), got the Wandboard running again.

Eventually, following various excursions to try and get the updated ArchLinux to boot, I came across the method to update the update the U-Boot package on archlinuxarm.org: Just go to https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/a...cale/wandboard and select the Installation tab. Go to the bottom of the page.

NOTE: updating the U-Boot package must be done following an ArchLinux update but prior to an attempted re-boot following that ArchLinux update

To get the Wandboard Quad running and current with ArchLinux updates and the latest nightly LMS 7.9 I did the following:

1: SSH into the Wandboard using Putty
    2: Update ArchLinux by entering

pacman -Syy and then
    pacman -Su

3: Install the updated U-Boot package
    In order to receive updates to the U-Boot bootloader, after an SSH into the system type:
    pacman -Sy uboot-wandboard
    When prompted, press y and hit enter to flash the bootloader to the micro-SD card.

Reboot. Then you can update LMS as usual, using Triode's Squeeze on Arch Configuration Interface.
    Last edited by kesey; 2016-05-13 at 01:39.
    Squeezebox Classic:2; Duet: 1; Boom:1; Touch:1.
    Server: LMS 7.9.1 latest nightly on Linux Mint; (backup:Win 10 Pro 64 bit) iPeng, iPeng for Ipad, Orange Squeeze, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by kesey View Post
    My Wandboard Quad is still going strong and running SoA. Thanks again to Triode for his fine work on SoA, not to mention all the other stuff he graciously contributed to the Squeezebox ecosystem over the years.

In the last couple of weeks, following an update using, firstly, the Squeeze on Arch Configuration Interface and later using SSH via Putty ("manually" on a restored previous SoA image), I found the Wandboard Quad would no longer boot. Restoring my previous SoA image using the USB Image Tool (http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/), got the Wandboard running again.

Eventually, following various excursions to try and get the updated ArchLinux to boot, I came across the method to update the update the U-Boot package on archlinuxarm.org: Just go to https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/a...cale/wandboard and select the Installation tab. Go to the bottom of the page.

NOTE: updating the U-Boot package must be done following an ArchLinux update but prior to an attempted re-boot following that ArchLinux update

To get the Wandboard Quad running and current with ArchLinux updates and the latest nightly LMS 7.9 I did the following:

1: SSH into the Wandboard using Putty
    2: Update ArchLinux by entering

pacman -Syy and then
    pacman -Su

3: Install the updated U-Boot package
    In order to receive updates to the U-Boot bootloader, after an SSH into the system type:
    When prompted, press y and hit enter to flash the bootloader to the micro-SD card.

Reboot. Then you can update LMS as usual, using Triode's Squeeze on Arch Configuration Interface.
    Hi kesey,

Many thanks for sharing your findings.

I have tried the suggested method but to no avail. I have literally entered the following commands:

pacman -Syy
    pacman -Su

but after rebooting I was not able to SSH to my WQuad anymore.

When you get a chance could you please let me have your thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by albertone74 View Post
    Hi kesey,

Many thanks for sharing your findings.

I have tried the suggested method but to no avail. I have literally entered the following commands:

pacman -Syy
    pacman -Su

but after rebooting I was not able to SSH to my WQuad anymore.

When you get a chance could you please let me have your thoughts?

Thanks a lot!
    Hi Albert,

Have you an older SoA image (an .img file which you backed up sometime this year or so)? If you have, restore this to your micro SD card and ensure that you can boot from that older .img file. Once you have done that, prior to making any updates reboot your Wandboard and ensure that it boots up, gets an IP address etc.

Just in case the version of Perl is causing a dependency problem, do the following once you have restored your older SoA .img and prior to doing anything else.

SSH in and edit
    /etc/pacman.conf

Uncomment 'IgnorePkg' then edit that line as follows;

IgnorePkg = perl

and save the edited pacman.conf file. Reboot, and SSH in again.

At this stage, you can begin the update process via SSH, viz:

pacman -Syy
    pacman -Su

Best of luck,

kesey
    Server: LMS 7.9.1 latest nightly on Linux Mint; (backup:Win 10 Pro 64 bit) iPeng, iPeng for Ipad, Orange Squeeze, Squeezepad.

Hi Albert,

Have you an older SoA image (an .img file which you backed up sometime this year or so)? If you have, restore this to your micro SD card and ensure that you can boot from that older .img file. Once you have done that, prior to making any updates reboot your Wandboard and ensure that it boots up, gets an IP address etc.

Just in case the version of Perl is causing a dependency problem, do the following once you have restored your older SoA .img and prior to doing anything else.

SSH in and edit
    /etc/pacman.conf

Uncomment 'IgnorePkg' then edit that line as follows;

IgnorePkg = perl

and save the edited pacman.conf file. Reboot, and SSH in again.

At this stage, you can begin the update process via SSH, viz:

pacman -Syy
    pacman -Su

Best of luck,

kesey
    Hi kesey,

Many thanks for your further instructions.

Yes, I have got a triple backup on three different hard drives just in case

Editing the pacman.conf file did the trick. Something odd is happening though. I can get access the SoA web page but when I SSH to my WQUAD I get this error message:

Code:
    root@192.168.1.2's password: 
    Permission denied, please try again.
    root@192.168.1.40's password:
    Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

Albert, have a look at your PM.

Albert, have a look at your PM.
    Hi Kesey,

I have seen it, many thanks. All sorted!

Old image file not booting

Hi,

For some reason my wandboard stopped booting. Cant seem to restore the image file. The current image on soa-wandboard doesnt do the installation. Am at a loss now!! What else can I do with the wandboard (quad). is xbmc an option? any other streaming/player that will run on wandboard?

Quote Originally Posted by vinodt1347 View Post
    Hi,

For some reason my wandboard stopped booting. Cant seem to restore the image file. The current image on soa-wandboard doesnt do the installation. Am at a loss now!! What else can I do with the wandboard (quad). is xbmc an option? any other streaming/player that will run on wandboard?
    Are you trying an .img file from e.g. Feb or March 2016 or maybe even from April 2016? Anything newer may have the boot problems that I referred to in my opening post.

Other things that can prevent restoring an .img file:
    (i) Faulty micro SD card. Try another one.
    (ii) size of micro SD card. Different manufacturers appear to have slightly different storage availabilities on their cards. If your backup .img is too big for the card you are trying to use, it may very well fail to save. If, for instance, you are presently using 8GB micro SD cards, try to restore to a spare 16GB card and see if that will work. If it does, you may like to try to restore the 8GB .img to another manufacturers 8GB card, or stick with the newly working 16GB card.

Would a working SoA image help on another machine?

Hi,

A couple of years ago, I bought a Wand Quad and started the process of installing SoA, Unfortunately, life got in the way and I had to put the project aside before I got the thing working. Now I'm back and would like to the Wand Quad working as a headless Squeezlite player. I doesn't help that I am a newbie Linux user. Also, it sounds like the original thread and images are not being supported.

1. Would it be possible to buy an SD card with a working image that I could use on my Wand? Would that even work or does it have to be set up for the specific machine?

2. Failing that, I left the project with a 2015 image that seems to boot and has downloaded SoA. I can ping the internet and have an IP address, but don't get the web page and can't figure out the next step.

I completely understand if this is too much of a stretch for newbie. I totally get that I am in over my head.

Thank in advance.

Jac

Quote Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
    Hi,

A couple of years ago, I bought a Wand Quad and started the process of installing SoA, Unfortunately, life got in the way and I had to put the project aside before I got the thing working. Now I'm back and would like to the Wand Quad working as a headless Squeezlite player. I doesn't help that I am a newbie Linux user. Also, it sounds like the original thread and images are not being supported.

1. Would it be possible to buy an SD card with a working image that I could use on my Wand? Would that even work or does it have to be set up for the specific machine?

2. Failing that, I left the project with a 2015 image that seems to boot and has downloaded SoA. I can ping the internet and have an IP address, but don't get the web page and can't figure out the next step.

I completely understand if this is too much of a stretch for newbie. I totally get that I am in over my head.

Thank in advance.

Jac
    I bookmarked this post by dsdreamer a while back: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...rnatives/page2 and have used it to set up multiple Wandboard Quads for myself and others since. The process is pretty straightforward, though you'll need to know how to log on via ssh.

It's not mentioned in the post, but after you get Debian initially running, you'll need to fully update it from the command line via ssh:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    The update will take a few minutes, after which you should reboot. Then you can go ahead and install Squeezelite and LMS.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is get it to transcode DSD to PCM. Either the necessary components don't run on a Wandboard or I don't know how to properly install them. That aside, it's been completely stable and reliable.

I'm unaware of any all-in-one image you can download for the Wandboard, but if you're interested in switching to a Raspberry Pi, Max2Play is probably exactly what you're looking for.