Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS server hosting options??

I run LMS on a full blown Windows server at home, but since I run a bunch of other programs 24/7 as well it's a net gain of zero watts. 'Doesn't cost me any extra.

I have a friend who I introduced to the Squeezebox ecosystem and he wants to run it at home, but doesn't want a PC running all the time. He IS however open to the whole server-client model, so I don't need a one box solution. I'm looking for recommendations for hardware to run LMS cheaply but without sacrificing too much horsepower.

I believe Squeezeplug/Max2Play runs on a Raspberry Pi or ODroid, but I'm worried that might be too slow. There is also Vortexbox, but I haven't seen it updated in a while. Are there any other good solid easy-to-use options that sit between a lowly Raspberry Pi and a full-blown Windows box? For the music, I need a minimum of a USB-drive connected storage option. (Or, if you feel the ODroid is plenty sufficient to host server duties, I'm willing to recommend that. I only own Raspberry Pi2's)

PS. We really need an updated Beginner's FAQ 101! I haven't been here in years and I know the landscape keeps changing!

Maybe depends on the size of his collection? Just as an example for you, my collection of 2000 albums, mixture of flac and mp3, is normally served from an HP microserver which keeps my feet warm under the desk. Recently, just for fun, I set up a Raspberry pi 3 with max2play using a usb drive on which I keep the music collection back up. I don't actually use any of the max2play features, used it just as a means to install the LMS server. My system is somewhat unusual since I have redesigned the user interface and use a lot of php programs to search, categorise and display on android pads and ipads. The raspberry copes fine, I have noticed no difference in performance between raspberry and microserver in a months regular usage. The raspberry is also serving my photos collection, and a collection of 8000 images of paintings from 200 artists, often at the same time as streaming music. Hope soon to have it streaming movies. The only thing is scanning the music to the database is a bit slower on the raspberry but not cripplingly so (15 minutes for a 'new and changed' rescan). It is difficult to evaluate this since I am using MYSQL rather than sqlite (related to my php needs) which is probably not optimal in terms of scanning speed.

Worth giving it a try at least.

Regards

JerryS

+1 for Raspberry Pi3/max2play/attached USB HDD.

Clear and rescan results:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

So pretty much anything can handle multiple streams if needed? Hmm. Maybe Max2play would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by valnar View Post
    So pretty much anything can handle multiple streams if needed? Hmm. Maybe Max2play would be best.
    That's stretching it a bit, depends what the processor is having to cope with. If it's doing a lot of transcoding then all bets are off.

Regards

Picoreplayer 2 on the RPi now has LMS built in.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    http://zzzone.net
    http://have-a-nice-day.org
    http://www.last.fm/user/zzzoneDOTnet
    http://somethingsomethingsomething.net

SBS 7.9 - i7 nuc - Win 10 64bit
    5 Booms, 2 Radio, 3 Touch, 1 Duet, 5 piCorePlayers including 3 touchscreen, 1 Avy
    2 controllers, various tablets/phones
    Apps including iPeng, Squeeze Ctrl etc.
    Library: 349,000+ FLAC/MP3 files - 12 TB HD

Quote Originally Posted by valnar View Post
    I run LMS on a full blown Windows server at home

I believe Squeezeplug/Max2Play runs on a Raspberry Pi or ODroid, but I'm worried that might be too slow.

I only own Raspberry Pi2's)

PS. We really need an updated Beginner's FAQ 101! I haven't been here in years and I know the landscape keeps changing!
    Hi,

with these facts you can just try and compare the speed on your own with your own library.

PSS: Yapp Its open source - if you find something that should be included feel free to do so.

The thing between a RPi and a full-scale Windows-Box may be...

the Odroid XU4:

CPU: SAMSUNG Exynos 5422, Cortex-A15 & Cortex-A7 big.LITTLE, Octa core
    Arbeitsspeicher: 2 GB LPDDR3 RAM
    Grafik: Mali-T628 MP6 (OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 & OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
    HDMI-Ausgang: 1920x1080
    Audio: HDMI Digital Audio-Ausgang
    USB-AnschlŘsse: USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0
    Netzwerk: Gigabit-LAN (10/100/1000 Mbps)
    Speichererweiterung: microSD, eMMC 5.0
    Erweiterungsport: 30-Pin (GPIO, IRQ, SPI, ADC), UART, I▓S, Backup-Batterie

or the LattePanda (in a few months)

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005...lossless=true&

If your friend is ripping CDs elsewhere then Raspberry Pi and max2play + USB. If he wants direct CD ripping then an old PC and Vortexbox is hard to beat. VB was recently updated and now runs 7.9.x. I haven't bothered to update mine though.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes