Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    To be honest, I don't think the people designing this device had a fucking clue what they were doing when it comes to speaker design. They read spec sheets on drivers, they wrote software, they stuffed it all into a plastic box the way they figured it should work.
    If Caleb were still around he might be disappointed to read that.

Take a look at the document that was produced that explained what was done (it is where the exploded picture came from).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/...dio_Design.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

Take a look at the document that was produced that explained what was done (it is where the exploded picture came from).

I didn't study the physical speaker/enclosure design, but the use of digital crossover with fully active design (separate ADC/amplifier per driver) is something I'm surprised we don't see much more of, especially for truly hi-fi systems.

It'll come.. B&O and meridian are the only two I'm directly aware of at the moment. Possibly some electrostatics with offboard crossovers..?
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    It'll come.. B&O and meridian are the only two I'm directly aware of at the moment. Possibly some electrostatics with offboard crossovers..?
    Genelec, and a bunch of others. I am pretty sure we will see many more.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

The PDF make slightly interesting reading, I did like the bit

By taking into account and managing the many
    factors that push and pull on a product design (cost, size, time, market, features, and performance), we believe we have built the best streaming audio system available in its class
    And then they killed it !
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

My Boom has literally just started exhibiting the split speaker/distorted bass effect (it's getting pretty old now which I think is the issue, it had never been hammered with loud audio) so getting a replacement unit, as opposed to trying to fix the defective one, is definitely something I want to do.

However, a search on eBay showed both 4 ohm and 8 ohm models (actually, also even a 16 ohm version) of the Faital Pro 3FE25, which is the impedence to go for? (I would guess 4 ohm?)
    Last edited by slimfast; 2016-06-09 at 07:41.

Re ring the cones. There's no real benefit to replacement. I saw a kit on eBay just the other day.

By the way, the nature of the audio correction in the dsp on the boom means that actually the speakers are operating at nominal excursion at all times, even at modest volume levels. It actually cranks the bass down as you turn the volume up so that the amps and cones don't become overwhelmed. Take a look at the white paper kicking around, it's a great idea.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

I got the 3FE25s (4 ohm) and replaced the original speakers. They are not as deep as the originals so they are not braced between the front and back of the cabinet but it does not seem to be an issue. Given how long it's been since the original speakers worked properly, I cannot honestly say how they differ tonally, but, if pressed to express an opinion, I'd say that they don't have quite the same bass response/extension. That said, they sound quite good and way better than the originals after the surrounds split. No part of the speaker extends beyond the plane of the mount, so contact with the cabinet is a non-issue. I may go ahead and repair the originals now, just because. However, there is one part of this whole process that I would have to address before I venture another cabinet disassembly.

The tiny torx head screws used to hold everything in place are just ridiculously soft. I have the proper micro screwdriver with the correct size head to deal with them, but the screws are way too easy to strip; they are softer than the plastic they screw into. I'll be sure to have some replacements, probably just phillips head in the correct sizes, to reduce the aggravation.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Caleb?

[QUOTE=Paul Webster;852426]If Caleb were still around he might be disappointed to read that.

_link deleted upon request_

Now there's a guy I'd like to talk to!

Very good presentation of his design philosophy.

There is a bit of re-invention of the wheel in there, and something I find significant & totally left out.

You say ''still around''? I hope he's still among the living?

Bill

finally picked up a pair of Magnapans! $20 !!
    couldn't afford stuff like that 'in the day'
    now, I gotta 'fix' a Squeeze box. This one cost $3