Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distorted Bass, Spilt Speaker, Exact Replacement Available

If you have distorted bass and you've read through this forum, by now you realize that the 3" foam suspension rings on the woofers are sub par. They dry out and split even if you don't crank up the volume, sometimes in a rather short period of time. The Boom is a discontinued item, there are no direct parts available so there are lots of different kinds of repairs that can be done to add a little more life to the woofer. The first and foremost procedure is if you can even get the Boom apart. For that, search this form with this heading 'Squeezebox Boom Disassembly In 8 Easy Steps and 1 Hard Step'. The search engine brings you to a thread called 'Is Anyone Fixing Booms'. Scroll through to listing #97 and there it will be. How to tear one down including pictures....really good. Be sure you have a thin # 10 Torx blade screwdriver, lots of patience, and a light touch.

If you can tear a Boom down, then you can repair the speaker. Gluing and siliconing the foam ring is a super temporary repair because the foam ring is dried out and will just continue to crack and chip. Don't waste your time. If you have gotten this far, you might as well do the job right. Simply Speakers offers a speaker rebuilding kit and a terrific instructional video on replacing a bad speaker mounting ring. The kit for 2 speakers was about $25. But I found the rings on my speakers were so well glued in, I could not cut the bad speaker parts out without destroying the speaker. Maybe you are luckier.

There are several replacement speakers available that will more or less fit into a Boom. The one I liked is a drop-in ready 3" replacement speaker that has better specs than the Boom's with higher max peak volume and better RMS, no alterations are required. It's 3" Professional Full Range Woofer by FaitalPRO 3FE25. The speaker costs about $23. For the effort to open up a Boom and the low cost of the speaker, it's a good thing to replace both at the same time. The woofer is available through Parts Express, Sound Solutions out of Ohio, Parts Express part number is 294-1103 and they list a BIN # of B-05-01-202.

Once I figured out the tear down of Boom (thanks to the forum instructions), the actual speaker replacement was fast..slap both in, carefully reverse the teardown procedure, plug the Boom in, set up, enjoy. I've had it fixed for a week and I'm satisfied.

Distorted Bass, Spilt Speaker,Exact Replacement Available

Hi das,

How does the Faital PRO speakers' sound compare to the original BOOM sound?

Same bass? Worse treble? Clear with nice lows?

David
    On Apr 30, 2016 1:56 PM, "das" <das.7f02vb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:

>
    > If you have distorted bass and you've read through this forum, by now
    > you realize that the 3" foam suspension rings on the woofers are sub
    > par. They dry out and split even if you don't crank up the volume,
    > sometimes in a rather short period of time. The Boom is a discontinued
    > item, there are no direct parts available so there are lots of different
    > kinds of repairs that can be done to add a little more life to the
    > woofer. The first and foremost procedure is if you can even get the Boom
    > apart. For that, search this form with this heading 'Squeezebox Boom
    > Disassembly In 8 Easy Steps and 1 Hard Step'. The search engine brings
    > you to a thread called 'Is Anyone Fixing Booms'. Scroll through to
    > listing #97 and there it will be. How to tear one down including
    > pictures....really good. Be sure you have a thin # 10 Torx blade
    > screwdriver, lots of patience, and a light touch.
    >
    > If you can tear a Boom down, then you can repair the speaker. Gluing and
    > siliconing the foam ring is a super temporary repair because the foam
    > ring is dried out and will just continue to crack and chip. Don't waste
    > your time. If you have gotten this far, you might as well do the job
    > right. Simply Speakers offers a speaker rebuilding kit and a terrific
    > instructional video on replacing a bad speaker mounting ring. The kit
    > for 2 speakers was about $25. But I found the rings on my speakers were
    > so well glued in, I could not cut the bad speaker parts out without
    > destroying the speaker. Maybe you are luckier.
    >
    > There are several replacement speakers available that will more or less
    > fit into a Boom. The one I liked is a drop-in ready 3" replacement
    > speaker that has better specs than the Boom's with higher max peak
    > volume and better RMS, no alterations are required. It's 3" Professional
    > Full Range Woofer by FaitalPRO 3FE25. The speaker costs about $23. For
    > the effort to open up a Boom and the low cost of the speaker, it's a
    > good thing to replace both at the same time. The woofer is available
    > through Parts Express, Sound Solutions out of Ohio, Parts Express part
    > number is 294-1103 and they list a BIN # of B-05-01-202.
    >
    > Once I figured out the tear down of Boom (thanks to the forum
    > instructions), the actual speaker replacement was fast..slap both in,
    > carefully reverse the teardown procedure, plug the Boom in, set up,
    > enjoy. I've had it fixed for a week and I'm satisfied.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > das's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65681
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105534
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by djringjr View Post
    Hi das,

How does the Faital PRO speakers' sound compare to the original BOOM sound?

Same bass? Worse treble? Clear with nice lows?

David
    On Apr 30, 2016 1:56 PM, "das" <das.7f02vb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:

>
    > If you have distorted bass and you've read through this forum, by now
    > you realize that the 3" foam suspension rings on the woofers are sub
    > par. They dry out and split even if you don't crank up the volume,
    > sometimes in a rather short period of time. The Boom is a discontinued
    > item, there are no direct parts available so there are lots of different
    > kinds of repairs that can be done to add a little more life to the
    > woofer. The first and foremost procedure is if you can even get the Boom
    > apart. For that, search this form with this heading 'Squeezebox Boom
    > Disassembly In 8 Easy Steps and 1 Hard Step'. The search engine brings
    > you to a thread called 'Is Anyone Fixing Booms'. Scroll through to
    > listing #97 and there it will be. How to tear one down including
    > pictures....really good. Be sure you have a thin # 10 Torx blade
    > screwdriver, lots of patience, and a light touch.
    >
    > If you can tear a Boom down, then you can repair the speaker. Gluing and
    > siliconing the foam ring is a super temporary repair because the foam
    > ring is dried out and will just continue to crack and chip. Don't waste
    > your time. If you have gotten this far, you might as well do the job
    > right. Simply Speakers offers a speaker rebuilding kit and a terrific
    > instructional video on replacing a bad speaker mounting ring. The kit
    > for 2 speakers was about $25. But I found the rings on my speakers were
    > so well glued in, I could not cut the bad speaker parts out without
    > destroying the speaker. Maybe you are luckier.
    >
    > There are several replacement speakers available that will more or less
    > fit into a Boom. The one I liked is a drop-in ready 3" replacement
    > speaker that has better specs than the Boom's with higher max peak
    > volume and better RMS, no alterations are required. It's 3" Professional
    > Full Range Woofer by FaitalPRO 3FE25. The speaker costs about $23. For
    > the effort to open up a Boom and the low cost of the speaker, it's a
    > good thing to replace both at the same time. The woofer is available
    > through Parts Express, Sound Solutions out of Ohio, Parts Express part
    > number is 294-1103 and they list a BIN # of B-05-01-202.
    >
    > Once I figured out the tear down of Boom (thanks to the forum
    > instructions), the actual speaker replacement was fast..slap both in,
    > carefully reverse the teardown procedure, plug the Boom in, set up,
    > enjoy. I've had it fixed for a week and I'm satisfied.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > das's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65681
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105534
    >
    >
    To my ordinary, untrained ear, when the repairs were done, it sounded like a properly working Boom. I didn't notice any excessive differences in tone and I didn't need to reset my tone controls with the use of the new speakers.

das

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    There are several replacement speakers available that will more or less fit into a Boom. The one I liked is a drop-in ready 3" replacement speaker that has better specs than the Boom's with higher max peak volume and better RMS, no alterations are required. It's 3" Professional Full Range Woofer by FaitalPRO 3FE25.
    You've tried others?

Parts Express shows a foam ring around the outer basket of the 3FE25. Did you remove that before reassembling the Boom? I would think it comes into contact with the front bezel that fits over the woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    You've tried others?

Parts Express shows a foam ring around the outer basket of the 3FE25. Did you remove that before reassembling the Boom? I would think it comes into contact with the front bezel that fits over the woofer.

The only thing I removed was the 2 Boom speakers and placed the new speakers right where the old ones came from. That was it. Snugged it up with the mounting screws and did some fast sound tests to make sure there wasn't any mechanical looseness or cabinet buzzes. The new speaker magnets are significantly more powerful than the originals. So I didn't want to be surprised with cabinet buzzing issues after the Boom was back together. But no issues, no surprises, went back together like an OEM part. The new speaker cone and mounting ring don't physically stick out past the metal speaker housing to the same extent that the original Boom speakers did, the cone and mounting ring are somewhat recessed from the housing face. So cone contact with the front bezel is not an issue.

The only thing I removed was the 2 Boom speakers and placed the new speakers right where the old ones came from. That was it. Snugged it up with the mounting screws and did some fast sound tests to make sure there wasn't any mechanical looseness or cabinet buzzes. The new speaker magnets are significantly more powerful than the originals. So I didn't want to be surprised with cabinet buzzing issues after the Boom was back together. But no issues, no surprises, went back together like an OEM part. The new speaker cone and mounting ring don't physically stick out past the metal speaker housing to the same extent that the original Boom speakers did, the cone and mounting ring are somewhat recessed from the housing face. So cone contact with the front bezel is not an issue.
    I'm talking about the outer foam ring shown in the photo that is affixed to the basket. Was that not on the drivers that you received?

I'm talking about the outer foam ring shown in the photo that is affixed to the basket. Was that not on the drivers that you received?
    I recently refoamed my Boom's bass drivers. Removing the drivers from the front baffle leaves a foam/rubber? ring (similar to the one in the picture you provided) attached to the front baffle, I don't know if they were glued or not, but a gentle pull in various places resulted in no movement, so I left them alone, replaced the repaired drivers and all is good.

If the 3FE25s come with a foam ring as in your picture, I'm not sure it would be necessary/advisable to use them without removing the original.

The original drivers appear to be deeper than the 3FE25s and have a further foam/rubber ring glued to the rear of the magnet housing, and when assembled fit tight up against a reinforced moulding on the back of the Booms cabinet, so the drivers/cabinet is braced front to back. The replacement drivers are possibly just hanging off the front baffle. I don't know if this is a good or bad point, just a heads up.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    The original drivers appear to be deeper than the 3FE25s and have a further foam/rubber ring glued to the rear of the magnet housing, and when assembled fit tight up against a reinforced moulding on the back of the Booms cabinet, so the drivers/cabinet is braced front to back. The replacement drivers are possibly just hanging off the front baffle. I don't know if this is a good or bad point, just a heads up.
    That's interesting. I was looking at photos of the dis-assembly of the Boom earlier tonight, and I noticed that little bit of foam on the back of the driver. I didn't realize that they actually sandwiched the whole thing between the rear of the enclosure and the front bezel.

To be honest, I don't think the people designing this device had a fucking clue what they were doing when it comes to speaker design. They read spec sheets on drivers, they wrote software, they stuffed it all into a plastic box the way they figured it should work.

That's the one I got. But the speaker foam ring and mounting ring on the face didn't protrude as much as the photo would indicate. The speaker went in easy with no issues.

das

That's the one I got. But the speaker foam ring and mounting ring on the face didn't protrude as much as the photo would indicate. The speaker went in easy with no issues.

das
    That's interesting because when I tried the replacement on my Boom (I finally refoamed the speaker) with that reference, although it fit, it was leaving a big gap between the frame of the speaker and the frame of the Boom. I had to trim the "legs" flat so that it would be as tight as the original speaker
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express